Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 5:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Study: atheists are less open-minded than theists
Smile 
RE: New Study: atheists are less open-minded than theists
(July 15, 2017 at 9:47 am)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(July 14, 2017 at 8:39 pm)A Theist Wrote: No argument there. No true committed Christian would use the kind of language that I do. I'm a backslider. It's been awhile since I've practiced the faith.

Where did I say, stupid atheist fuckheads? Stupid leftwing fuckheads, yes.

I give you kudos for your honesty.

Yes, I was beginning to suspect this was more about politics than religion. But so many Christians seem to think god is a conservative republican. I put you in that crowd, and for that I apologize.

Now, it's your turn to take me out of the crowd of leftest atheist or whatever.  I used to think of myself as a liberal when I didn't even have enough money to be liberal with. Now, if I have to take a label, I'm a conservative democrat. If that makes no sense, good, because I don't fit squarely into anybody's box.

Thank you Rhondazvous. Much appreciated. Smile

I raised the issue of politics because I believe the study mentioned in the OP is flawed. Like theists, atheists can't be pinned down to all believing the same way. Even in their views toward God they're different. Gnostic Atheists, Agnostic Atheists, Passive Atheists, Friendly Atheists, Indifferent Atheists,....even the well known atheist Richard Dawkins identifies himself as a "Cultural Christian". 

I think it's also falsely assumed that all atheists are left leaning. Like theists, atheists are all over the political map. For example, Capn Awesome seems to lean more toward the conservative side. Tiberius and Thump seem to be more Libertarian, while Mr. McGoofass Minimalist seems to be more of the old guard establishment liberal Democrat, and then there's the more far left members here, the Bernie Bros, and one who was posting here recently who seemed to be in line with the BAMN group. I don't know if you were around on AF at the time, but there was even a well known atheist Nazi sympathizer and holocaust denier who posted on here for a short time. Can't remember who it was, but a member recognized him and called him out. That guy didn't last long. So, I think a person's political / social beliefs are a better indicator to how open minded they are. Or, it could all be as simple as the individual's own personality trait whether they're fair minded or closed minded.

Actually, I do make a distinction between liberal and left, though. You seem to be fair minded enough to me. If you label yourself a conservative Democrat that's good enough for me as far as I'm concerned. Conservative Democrat does makes sense to me, actually. My Step Father identified himself as a conservative democrat.

As far as me, I identify with conservatives. But, my strong pro union stance would put me at odds with most Republicans.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Study: atheists are less open-minded than theists - by A Theist - July 15, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Gays Can Go Straight, Study Says WinterHold 262 18216 March 28, 2023 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Less than half of England and Wales population Christian, Census 2021 shows Duty 28 1685 December 3, 2022 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  [Serious] Far right seizing COVID-19 ‘opportunity’ to expand: Study WinterHold 8 543 November 23, 2020 at 4:21 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Michigan Bans Open Carry of Firearms at Polling Places onlinebiker 101 6179 October 29, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Less Cops = ? onlinebiker 86 3360 September 11, 2020 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  AOC Pushes To Make It Easier To Study Shrooms And Other Psychedelic Drugs EgoDeath 8 800 November 9, 2019 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  My Plan To Re-open The US Government BrianSoddingBoru4 25 1819 January 25, 2019 at 12:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Italy crime: Gang rips open security van with diggers near Bari Duty 7 703 January 14, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Duty
  And in Texas no less..... Brian37 7 951 November 11, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trump: The Floodgates Are Open! chimp3 10 932 May 24, 2018 at 12:01 am
Last Post: chimp3