Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 4:26 pm

Poll: The Death Penalty
This poll is closed.
I support it
40.66%
37 40.66%
I oppose it
59.34%
54 59.34%
Total 91 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why?
RE: The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why?
(June 20, 2011 at 1:39 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Because DNA does not "prove" anything. It is up to those involved to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt.

And DNA evidence has been known to be misleading before. It doesn't take a genius to misrepresent, contaminate such evidence. Incompetence and laziness can do that on its own.

This is a good point as I had yet to take in consideration of purposeful dishonesty. Recently there was a case of a medical examiner who was proven to have falsified evidence in dozens of cases. I am for the death penalty in theory, but it's application is another matter entirely.

Moros Synackaon Wrote:I ask you, FaithNoMore, what is the purpose of punishments like the death penalty in the first place? Is it to reform? Serve as an example? Is it merely to prevent waste? After all, a man who is clearly guilty of great crimes must be worth less, in some form to warrant executing them well after they've been contained, isolated.

It's a form of punishment that makes the statement that if you commit heinous crimes, you pay with your life.

Moros Synackaon Wrote:It chills me most of all to think that a human being could be considered a form of "waste", criminal, dissident or otherwise. And it speaks volumes of the humanity a man holds for his fellows when others become "garbage" to him.

It's not that I see them as waste, it's just that I firmly believe that by committing certain crimes against your fellow man, you have shown that you do not respect human life, and you forfeit the right to your own. I have respect for all human life, as long as that respect is mutual. Let me ask you this, are you upset that several Nazi's at Nuremberg were executed? What would you do with someone with such a disregard for basic human rights, and why should they be afforded rights they are unwilling to give to others?

ETA: To me, sustaining someone's life after they have shown all disregard for their fellow humans conveys a message of tolerance society cannot afford.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why? - by Faith No More - June 20, 2011 at 2:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 dollar stands firmly against 1 hryvnia. Why? Interaktive 6 425 June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 2025 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 16314 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is What You're Up Against With Drumpfucks Minimalist 20 2614 March 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Argument against the death penalty by a r-wing conservative Catholic_Lady 0 693 December 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Death Penalty Vote brewer 55 9311 October 12, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2170 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Remember Progressives.... This Is What You Are Defending Against Minimalist 19 2719 May 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Just another reason why I'm against guns. Foxaèr 12 1528 May 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Views on the Death Penalty? (a poll) Catholic_Lady 171 23956 July 9, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady