Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 4:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny?
(August 3, 2021 at 7:09 pm)tackattack Wrote: I follow Jesus and as to which Paul quote I ignore, neither. I accept both. They are not contradictory. Slaves should obey their masters. + All people are one in Christ clearly means: If you're a person who is a slave... be an obedient one, because we're all the same in Christ master and slave. The Bible does speak of abolishment of slavery in certain instances. The Bible does prescribe people be taken as prisoners of war, which I already conceded. You defined prisoners of war as slaves; so for the sake of our discussion the Bible does condone some type of slavery, specifically prisoners of war. 
Thus by my below logic, the answer to this thread is if you consider prisoners of war as slaves then the Bible does condone some form of slavery. It also condones the abolishment of some types of slavery. So then the Bible condones slavery and abolishment of slavery.

For clarity on the entire thread, I fully admit that the Bible doesn't condemn all forms of slavery while I personally do. I don't think it dictates slavery either. It is descriptive about slavery, but that isn't condoning or condemning. The idea that it DOES specifically mention freeing slaves, is abolitionist. I know you must really want it seem like a figment of your imagination, but it appears you have blinders on too.

1.  "which thou shalt have, ...of them shall ye buy " = "whom you may have: you may buy" I already clearly showed my reasoning on this. Maybe the Common English Bible translation will clear this up, "Regarding male or female slaves that you are allowed to have: You can buy a male or a female slave from the nations that are around you."

2. To answer your question "IF the bible prohibits SOME instances of slavery, then it does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of slavery, right?" The Bible does prohibit some people from being slaves. Your very own position pivots on the 'doesn't prohibit'. By your own admission the Bible doesn't dictate people own slaves. I think we're getting hung up on the word supporting vs dictating. I think you and I both know and agree that the Bible doesn't Dictate people have slaves, just what to do with them. Is that correct? 

3. "What does person x do if it supports SOME instances of activity y? Does that mean person x does NOT support activity y AT ALL?" Person x supporting some instance of y would support (in all cases or partially) activity y. I don't equate supporting or encouraging something the same as you I believe. If x prohibits SOME instances of y, and it does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of y, then all that can be said is that x prohibits y. I think you are jumping to x supports y in some instances without citing where x said to go do y. I think you're saying by not condemning slavery as a whole you feel the Bible is supportive of it (or at least some instances of it). Is that correct?

4." while not endorsing SOME instances of slavery, it does endorse SOME instances of slavery." If it endorses (from my perspective) slavery in any sense it supports slavery. I just don't see where it is endorsing (from my understanding) slavery simply by not condemning slavery entirely or being descriptive about what to do in the situation you have slaves. Perhaps it would help me if you provided your definition here of endorse as I don't think we're on the same page there. Simply looking at  Paul's letters to Philemon about accepting back his slave as his brother instead of a slave should indicate an abolitionist stance to slave ownership.

The lenghts you are willing to go through to defend this are really amazing. The obfuscation, strawmen anf absurdities you utter make it abundantly clear that any conversation beyond this point is useless. You are even willing to abandon most simple, basic logic in your efforts to massage your book to say what you want it to say. You are deceiving yourself (and i completely agree with TGNs assessment of your, and Huggys, character).

Just a final example which makes it painfully obvious:

Quote:If x prohibits SOME instances of y, and it does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of y, then all that can be said is that x prohibits y
Nope
All can be said is that x prohibits SOME instances of y (and it can be easily followed, if ones mind is not poisoned by religion, that x does NOT prohibit some OTHER instances of y). You just equate prohibiting y with prohibiting SOME of y by simply leaving out the upper case written word. Thats how far you go in your intellectual dishonesty.

As you said: You are better than your holy book, but you are bending over backwards to defend it. Think about it if you have some time, and if, some day, your indoctrination does not hinder you any more.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Christianity Inherently Supportive Of Slavery And Misogyny? - by Deesse23 - August 4, 2021 at 8:50 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3876 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1895 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Was Christianity started to control the masses and dictate poltical agendas GODZILLA 126 22728 April 17, 2018 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2540 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Dawkins and Christianity rjh4 is back 56 19571 August 22, 2017 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9513 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  17 y/o YouTuber faces years in jail for insulting Islam and Christianity wolf39us 38 8108 June 2, 2016 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Aractus
  What is with refusing to admit slavery is wrong? ReptilianPeon 99 23545 August 25, 2015 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Divinity
  God in Christianity and Islam parakletos 24 6777 November 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: parakletos
  New age religions that threatens Atheists and Christianity repentsinners 5 1926 November 24, 2013 at 11:47 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen