Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 9:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New user. Thanks for letting me into your group.
RE: New user. Thanks for letting me into your group.
(June 21, 2011 at 1:56 am)padraic Wrote:
(June 21, 2011 at 12:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: I'm so old I may have invented it.

You're not THAT old Min.

The religion known as 'Wicca' was largely invented in the 1950's by an eccentric British civil servant called Gerald Gardner.

He cherry picked bits from the East, the Druids and some pre-Christian fertility cults, taking care to leave out the good bits such as human sacrifice and sex.
If he was still alive Gerald would now be 127.Cool Shades

Hey, I'm the Wiccan, not Min.

Garner codified several things. The practices were around longer than Gardner (Waite, Fortune, et alia). Many Wiccans today pay Gardner no mind at all.

And the human sacrifice part was applied to any cult the Christians didn't like (Mayans, Druids, Jews, Muslims, Protestants against Catholics, Catholics against Protestants, &c.) When you apply it to everyone, the claim loses somewhat in credibility. Especially when there is scant evidence besides the movie "Wicker Man."

And sex is a good bit. What's wrong with sex? You wouldn't be here without sex. Why is it that sex is always painted as a bad thing by Christianity if God created it? Oh yeah, that part in Isaiah that says that God creates evil (no Satan required). And God created sex, so it must be evil, because so many Christians think sex is not good. Geez, take one of the funnest and easiest acts God made for his creation, and call it evil.

Gardner and his friends most certainly did "not" leave out the sex. They were very big on sex. Wiccans love sex. Many incorporate it into ritual, as did Gardner and Alexander: sex is life-affirming (since you can't have life without sex).

I might be forced to post my Discordian wedding vows to the site. Fnord. (Hey wow, Fnord is in the site's spell check routine. I'm impressed.) Leave out the sex. Like Christians leaving out the Bible. Sex is crucial to Wicca.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Messages In This Thread
RE: New user. Thanks for letting me into your group. - by Anymouse - June 21, 2011 at 2:11 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AF User Map! wolf39us 142 52690 June 8, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New user, recent deconvert Lucian 5 848 September 9, 2022 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Jeff Bradt, user since 2013, becoming active JP Bradt 42 6556 March 15, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 1014 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New User Baddogma 21 2192 July 23, 2019 at 7:41 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Thanks Jack:) Im new Anon2381 52 9372 June 3, 2017 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
Big Grin New user! Fox 23 4369 September 2, 2015 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Obligatory into thread! RobbyPants 17 2178 April 5, 2014 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Forced into going to church? katiefranco 23 4745 November 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Catholic user here CleanShavenJesus 31 7776 February 13, 2013 at 7:25 am