Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Science/Atheism in the Media
Science/Atheism in the Media
It isn't often you see religion portrayed as nuts in the media. And that is why I find "Bones" rather remarkable. The main character is a scientist who has no problem frequently stating how ridiculous all religions are. The last episode had her gawking incredulously at a bereaved man standing at his recently dead mother's and brother's graves and speaking to them as if they were in the sky. It was priceless.
RE: Science/Atheism in the Media
Didn't know, that was quite suprising and unexpected for a show that comes from america. Often in there TV-series do they involve religious mysteries and new-age crap. So this is quite refreshing to hear.

Haven't watched that much of "Bones" maybe should becasue it's quite intresting that they are critical towards religion.
(April 28, 2009 at 8:33 am)infidel666 Wrote: It isn't often you see religion portrayed as nuts in the media. And that is why I find "Bones" rather remarkable. The main character is a scientist who has no problem frequently stating how ridiculous all religions are. The last episode had her gawking incredulously at a bereaved man standing at his recently dead mother's and brother's graves and speaking to them as if they were in the sky. It was priceless.

I'm an atheist and I do it to, I speak to my Dad and my brother (both dead), did it last weekend at their grave. Oh I know they aren't there (well they are kinda i.e their remains are) and I know it's stupid but it's also very human.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I've never seen the show. Maybe I should watch some.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
It's a relatively good point that religions are usually portrayed in a more favourable light in the media ... It's understandable given the current climate i.e. that complaints by the minority are taken so seriously and many people are quick to complain about how their religion is represented.

I have noticed quite a few shows recently with increasingly atheistic lead charecters which is definetely a good thing.

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
One of my favorite shows with an openly atheist character here in America is "House" the main character is played by Hugh Laurie.He plays a very unorthodox medical doctor who is openly atheist and rude as hell to his patients.And the theme of the show is usually based around medical mysteries that he and his team must try to solve.It is a great show and there is plenty of atheist fodder there for your viewing pleasure.I have been a fan of the show since it began.Bones is also a great show.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

House MD is indeed a great show.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
An awesome show yes,

And Hugh Laurie has always been awesome before that, the very British (and not really Americian, I'm just saying cos many don't know it seems) guy that he is.

I love the quote from the House episode House Vs God (great Ep) when this religious kid who thought God spoke to him, mentioned something about faith and House said: "'Faith' that's another word for ignorance, isn't it? I never understood how people could be so proud of believing in something with no proof at all. Like that's an achievement."

I remembered when he said that from seeing the Ep (cos I love it) and got it specifically and exactly quoted right, from here: http://www.housemd-guide.com/season2/219vsgod.php

As you can see it appears to be a guide to house! Hopefully it all works smoothly. This is a guide to that very Ep, including quotes Big Grin
EvF remember the episode when a petient tried to commit suicide by sticking a knife into an electric socket and when he was revived it made House curious as to wether there was an after life.Shortly after House went and did the same thing the patient did and saw nothing.House is truly a wonderful show for believers and skeptics alike.There is a little of everything for everyone there.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

No I don't. Cos I haven't seen it! Oh shit diggity dogg you gave shit away!

I found out about House late funnily enough! And got season 1 and 2 and watched both through.

Currently near the start of series 3, I dont' remember that happening. I think you gave shit away! lol.

I don't watch random eps either that's the thing. I don't mind so much but I watch House with my mum and bro, etc as well, together.

Anyway I've been watching them in exact order following on, saw first 2 seasons and currently on like episode 3 of season 3 or something like that, maybe like episode 5.

Got first 3 seasons on DVD so far; after them I'll be getting season 4 for sure. It is AWESOME.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hopefully the media Minimalist 35 3841 September 29, 2015 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7750 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4275 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe