Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freedom of Religion
Freedom of Religion
As an anti-theist, it might be assumed that I'm against freedom of religion, although this is completely untrue. I happen to believe that religion is dangerous, immoral, and corrosive, but that doesn't mean I'm against people choosing to believe bullshit.

I think that freedom of everything is important, especially religion. I consider my right to debate other people's religions, to disagree with them, and to make a thing about it, as important as their right to do the same. I'm not interested in causing belief without logic or reason, but I do like to debate with people.

I don't, however, support the right to blow things up or kill people for religion.

My point it, freedom of religion is what I'm after, not my enemy. My life wouldn't be possible without it.What do all of you (including theists) think about said freedom?
[Image: 2ynjmte.jpg]
RE: Freedom of Religion
Everybody is free to do whatever they want, but once they start shoving it up other people's throat, that is when the line is crossed.

(January 9, 2012 at 7:38 pm)Forsaken Wrote: Everybody is free to do whatever they want, but once they start shoving it up other people's throat, that is when the line is crossed.

Indeed; Religion is like a priest's penis: it should not be forced down a child's throat. Angry
It's good you make your perspective clear enough to avoid the misunderstandings/misconceptions theists may made.

But what if the freedom of religion doesn't prevent the dangerous kind of religion? You see, not all Nations' Constitutions are secular -especially Iran's Constitution.
(January 9, 2012 at 7:44 pm)Blam! Wrote: It's good you make your perspective clear enough to avoid the misunderstandings/misconceptions theists may made.

But what if the freedom of religion doesn't prevent the dangerous kind of religion? You see, not all Nations' Constitutions are secular -especially Iran's Constitution.

Thats why freedom of religion is important - to set limits to what people can do. Of course, it has to be alongside other laws, such as do not kill, and other people's freedom of religion. But if there is a state religion, one that puts religious justice above secular justice, thats when you get problems. Those who commit religious crimes such as adultery or homosexuality can be executed, and those who commit religiously motivated crimes can be pardoned and allowed to do it again. Certain types of people are described as 'unconstitutional' or blasphemous, just for believing what they do or acting in a certain way, and that sort of society engenders hate and mistrust for outsiders, and people who become outsider because they don't agree with the situation.
Very few religion is so conceived as to not encourage its adherents to try to shove their religion down other people's throats, by force or fraud. Those that are so conceived are soon exterminated by others. Each religion lusts for the chance make it unfree for every other religion.
So "freedom of religion" is at the most fundamental level an self contradictory concept.
@Chuck This is why freedom of religion must be implemented by a secular state, or else pretty quickly there is only freedom of one religion.
(January 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm)rubikscube Wrote: As an anti-theist, it might be assumed that I'm against freedom of religion, although this is completely untrue. I happen to believe that religion is dangerous, immoral, and corrosive, but that doesn't mean I'm against people choosing to believe bullshit.

I think that freedom of everything is important, especially religion. I consider my right to debate other people's religions, to disagree with them, and to make a thing about it, as important as their right to do the same. I'm not interested in causing belief without logic or reason, but I do like to debate with people.

I don't, however, support the right to blow things up or kill people for religion.

My point it, freedom of religion is what I'm after, not my enemy. My life wouldn't be possible without it.What do all of you (including theists) think about said freedom?
Of course, this is what secularism advocates.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Yeah, religion is free to GTFO. Big Grin
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]
I, too, totally despise religion and think humanity would be better off without it, but I still believe very strongly in the right of everyone to believe in whatever religion they want or none at all. I think atheists tend to be stronger supporters of the First Amendment than most Christians are, because it seems like most Christians buy into the "this is a Christian nation" bullshit and would like very much to have laws passed which would make Christianity the official state religion. I find this horrific, and the idea that it may not be their own version of Christianity which would be the law of the land is totally lost on them.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human Freedom Ignorant 60 4835 April 15, 2016 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Ignorant
  Problem of Divine Freedom MindForgedManacle 57 9519 April 21, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Denial of freedom dazzn 100 39300 June 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Violet