Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions?
Opinions?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlp...ture=share

Above is a video in which a Christian - follower of Jesus - attacks religion. While we can all agree that he is still using faith and not logic, I can't help but respect his words. I would view his belief as more of a philosophy as opposed to a religion, but I'm interested in your opinions on the video.

Have at it!
Brevity is the soul of wit.
RE: Opinions?
Well, it's art. Other than that, it is agenda, and the content is crap. Lemme give you the trinity:

Love. Is. Unconditional.

Your rapper is merely drawing different boundaries, shading in different territories behind the same name. He believes in sin, talks about "getting faded" with disdain. Love is Void, it cannot be otherwise; for once one, thence done. Confined by what defines.

Acceptance of the Christ is to become the Christ; this guy is pointing fingers at the moon when he would be saying "I and my Father are One;" if he had anything to say.
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]
I've heard a lot of people say they were religious but they hate organized religion. This is just my opinion, but I think these people are the moderate Christians who like the good parts of the bible, but also understand that religion tends to be full of hypocrites, liars, and just evil people.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Blah, blah, blah.

The content is really crap and no, I cannot respect his words.

While attempting descry "religion", his own arguments are not just contradictory, they are disgusting. His claims of feeling "pride" in weakness and being unashamed of sin is degrading to the concept of human dignity. He does not hate religion, he hates the religious organizations. Those he refers to as religion and as religion itself as "Jesus". What he does not realize is that those religious organizations are necessary consequence of everything his religion preaches. Because it preaches irrationality and it can never actually be practiced in real world.
My crazy aunt, for whom there is devoted a whole thread, just sent me this video. Not kidding.

I think there is no way to distinguish a religious person who follows Christ from a person who doesn't like the term "religion", but still follows and worships Christ.

This is the No True Scotsman fallacy in poetry form, and not so blatantly articulated.

This kid actually says he loves the bible, he loves the church and yes he believes in sin.

...and yet he's bashing religion. Doesn't matter if he's got part if it right, he's still choosing one over the other, essentially declaring his partial faith the "true" religion. Can't have it both ways. It's pure hypocrisy. You can't ridicule a particular religion with one hand and then embrace only certain parts of that same religion with the other.

[Image: Gladiator_thumbs_down.gif]
FAIL
[Image: Evolution.png]

As a fundy I separated god (a being) from religion (a system). I hated religion. Yet in actual practice it's very difficult to live a separation between god and religion. Religion always creeps in.

Religion fails when it uses a (interpretation of) sacred scripture as an ultimate authority instead of using reason to find the answers.

For example consider the difference between the statements "god says you must not gossip" or even "what would Jesus do" verses explaining that gossip is wrong because it hurts other people and it also hurts you (you break people's trust when they hear you gossip about other people. When no one trusts you it damages your relationship with them). When people learn how gossip effects other people it encourages them not to do it (sometimes). When they learn how gossip hurts themselves it usually discourages the action. Either way it's a suggestion instead of a rule from an ultimate authority. It's a suggestion that a person can think about and then decide for his or herself the validity.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

I think it's just a way that a lot of Christians use to dismiss criticisms of different religions. Like when you point out how the Catholic church and many televangelists beg for money ostensibly to help the poor, but end up spending it on themselves, or else pointing out how different denominations of Christianity bicker & fight each other. "Oh, that's just religion, but God is good and great, blah blah blah..." totally ignoring the fact that all these people professing love for God & Jesus are still not doing what God & Jesus set down in the bible for Christians to do, and glossing over that belief in God does not make one a better person. There's just no arguing with these people.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(January 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm)aleialoura Wrote: I think there is no way to distinguish a religious person who follows Christ from a person who doesn't like the term "religion", but still follows and worships Christ.

My mother is the latter. Evangelical but dislikes the term religion. In fact, one time I told her the definition of "Christianity", which included the word religion and her exact words were, "That's just man's definition". Dodgy
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15659 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Opinions on my drive to be an atheist Won2blv 108 10926 May 25, 2015 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Opinions on this? Joel 10 3850 March 19, 2013 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do you have the same opinions? TarShoduze 19 4935 December 24, 2012 at 9:41 am
Last Post: pocaracas