Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions on this?
Opinions on this?
So, earlier today, my mother asked me if I had "Found the Lord, yet."
Whilst I was explaining that I had not, and doubt that I ever would; she saw a video I had been watching, still on my monitor.

After watching, all she said was "At least his son will pray that he will come to his senses."
Obviously, she had no argument for what he was saying - nor could she refute it (at least, it seems that way)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see much problem with what he says - from a logical perspective. Disbelieving something is not a choice, as far as I know. At least, I didn't suddenly think "I'm going to choose not to believe your claim."
Whilst it's easy to say that, whether it's actually true or not isn't through choice. (If it is, someone correct me)

Anyway, what're your opinions on what Mr. DeWitt says in the video?

(Note, that I do see why it's a problem to believers as they just shut out whatever they don't like to hear - especially when it pokes a hole in their belief system.)
RE: Opinions on this?
(March 14, 2013 at 2:04 pm)Persuade Me Wrote: So, earlier today, my mother asked me if I had "Found the Lord, yet."

There's a common and useful retort for this: "I didn't know he was missing and that it was my responsibility to find him".
She may have meant Lord Voldermort (or whatever it was) the Harry Potter one.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

He's absolutely right. If you don't believe there's not much you can do about it.
Nietzsche talks about this kinda, he says that Christian (slave) morality involves the belief that good and evil are a choice. This is opposed to master morality, which involves the belief that good and bad are innate and that you are born one way or another. To Christians, belief and nonbelief are a choice, similar if not part of the choice between good and evil. My mother also thinks this way, although she is not a believer (she was, however, raised with religion). Personally, I do not feel I ever had a choice to believe or not believe, I simply could not believe no matter how hard I tried.
(March 14, 2013 at 2:16 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: She may have meant Lord Voldermort (or whatever it was) the Harry Potter one.
Probably, no, definitely, Lord Sauron from LotR.
(March 14, 2013 at 2:04 pm)Persuade Me Wrote: Anyway, what're your opinions on what Mr. DeWitt says in the video?

I think he's right. On each point.

Many Christians become annoyed whenever someone substitutes "unicorns" or "leprechauns" or "the Flying Spaghetti Monster" for "God" when discussing belief. But I think they miss the point-- when you read the Bible without the preconceived notion that it's anything but a book of stories told (and re-told, and re-re-told, and...) by men long ago, it's impossible to believe that any of it is real or true or accurate or anything but fanciful. It's only when you read it with the belief that it is 100% genuine that you are willing to perform some incredible mental gymnastics in order to keep it from completely falling apart. And it's enough of a mess that even if you keep telling yourself it's true, there's a part of your brain that aches from trying to keep it together.

I never, at any time, desired not to believe in god. I had lived a life that was in keeping with what I felt he wanted, and I was in line for some pretty sweet rewards! But wanting to believe wasn't enough. I needed to have something to believe in that didn't rest on such a flimsy foundation. I found it when I finally admitted to myself that I didn't believe in god, and started to search outside of my bubble. Just getting out of that mental prison gave me an amazing sense of freedom. Limiting myself helped to keep the illusion going for a while, but I simply couldn't abide that much nonsense in the long run.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Nietzsche talks about this kinda, he says that Christian (slave) morality involves the belief that good and evil are a choice. This is opposed to master morality, which involves the belief that good and bad are innate and that you are born one way or another. To Christians, belief and nonbelief are a choice, similar if not part of the choice between good and evil. My mother also thinks this way, although she is not a believer (she was, however, raised with religion). Personally, I do not feel I ever had a choice to believe or not believe, I simply could not believe no matter how hard I tried.

I feel the same way. I have said that if you put a million dollars in front of me and asked me to believe in something like god, or for that matter, Santa Claus, your million dollars would be safe (assuming I did not lie about it). I cannot throw a switch and make myself believe.
I'm glad it's not just me that feels what he is saying is true.
It bothers me that I couldn't at least get a reasonable response out of her... I guess I expected too much.

Though, I now wonder: because belief is not a choice, how can everybody be judged fairly? (According to Christian teaching, that is)
I think the question is already answered, though, because it makes sense to them as they refuse to accept that belief isn't a choice...
(March 14, 2013 at 11:01 pm)Katiegal Wrote: I feel the same way. I have said that if you put a million dollars in front of me and asked me to believe in something like god, or for that matter, Santa Claus, your million dollars would be safe (assuming I did not lie about it). I cannot throw a switch and make myself believe.

Put 10 grand in front of me and I'll believe in god.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15687 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Opinions on my drive to be an atheist Won2blv 108 10927 May 25, 2015 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you have the same opinions? TarShoduze 19 4935 December 24, 2012 at 9:41 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Opinions? Perhaps 8 2363 January 12, 2012 at 12:40 am
Last Post: Diamond