Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remembering Roger Boisjoly: He Tried To Stop Shuttle Challenger Launch
Remembering Roger Boisjoly: He Tried To Stop Shuttle Challenger Launch
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012...ger-launch

Quote:We all knew what the implication was without actually coming out and saying it," a tearful Boisjoly told Zwerdling in 1986. "We all knew if the seals failed the shuttle would blow up."

Armed with the data that described that possibility, Boisjoly and his colleagues argued persistently and vigorously for hours. At first, Thiokol managers agreed with them and formally recommended a launch delay. But NASA officials on a conference call challenged that recommendation.

"I am appalled," said NASA's George Hardy, according to Boisjoly and our other source in the room. "I am appalled by your recommendation."

Another shuttle program manager, Lawrence Mulloy, didn't hide his disdain. "My God, Thiokol," he said. "When do you want me to launch — next April?"

One wonders why those responsible for allowing the launch to continue despite the dire warnings from people in the know weren't prosecuted.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Remembering Roger Boisjoly: He Tried To Stop Shuttle Challenger Launch
I worked at the Huntsville Operations Support Center (HOSC) located at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center from April 87 through May 99. Among other things that go on at the HOSC it used to be the facility where the engineers responsible for both the SSME and SRB components sat on console for launch operations. You might be interested in chapter nine and chapter ten from the Book Power To Explore: History of Marshall Space Flight Center 1960-1990. Chapter nine is about the Challenger accident and chapter ten talks about the investigation and the return to flight. Chapter nine might surprise you with just how much NASA knew about problems with the SRB seals well before Challenger. Some of the people discussed in the book were sitting in the HOSC when Challenger blew up.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Remembering Roger Boisjoly: He Tried To Stop Shuttle Challenger Launch
(February 7, 2012 at 1:36 am)popeyespappy Wrote: I worked at the Huntsville Operations Support Center (HOSC) located at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center from April 87 through May 99. Among other things that go on at the HOSC it used to be the facility where the engineers responsible for both the SSME and SRB components sat on console for launch operations. You might be interested in chapter nine and chapter ten from the Book Power To Explore: History of Marshall Space Flight Center 1960-1990. Chapter nine is about the Challenger accident and chapter ten talks about the investigation and the return to flight. Chapter nine might surprise you with just how much NASA knew about problems with the SRB seals well before Challenger. Some of the people discussed in the book were sitting in the HOSC when Challenger blew up.

It wouldn't surprise me at all, like it doesn't surprise me how much they knew about the foam issue prior to the Columbia disaster.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Professor Sir Roger Penrose debates an idiot. Jehanne 7 637 August 4, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Space Shuttle video site zebo-the-fat 0 510 October 6, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Succesful launch of Falcon Heavy zebo-the-fat 29 2891 February 9, 2018 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Bombardier Challenger 604 'totaled' after A380 wake turbulence event vorlon13 1 709 June 14, 2017 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Alleged Weasel heroically sacrifices himself to stop LHC Alex K 18 1649 May 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  STOP THE BUS I WANT TO WEE WEE (stop time?) Mark 13:13 41 14007 January 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  135 space shuttle launched at once! orogenicman 9 6600 July 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Paul Allen gets into the space launch business orogenicman 5 2048 December 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  STS-135: The last Space Shuttle mission. leo-rcc 50 14678 July 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Violet
  "How I Learned To Stop Worrying About the Origin of the Cosmos" orogenicman 0 1304 April 16, 2011 at 6:59 am
Last Post: orogenicman