Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Harris Question
Sam Harris Question
A while ago I came across a question by Sam Harris...

Sam Harris Wrote:I would challenge anyone here to think of a question upon which we once had a scientific answer, however inadequate, but for which now the best answer is a religious one.

and I am totally stumped for an answer (consider best to mean closest to reality). Do any of you guys have any ideas that I might be missing or does the absence of an answer here conclusively show that religion (all of them) are totally bankrupt?
RE: Sam Harris Question
I am leaning to religious bankruptcy Phil.

The more they (the religious) struggle the more convincing is their argument for a non-deity...they just haven't woken up to the fact that this is what they are doing.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
No, I'd go with what Sam says.

Since a Scientific answer will usually be based on verifiable experimentation and the religious alternative will always be based on wishful thinking.....
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I'm sure one of our resident theists has a platitude to peddle in this regard.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 13, 2012 at 9:43 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I am leaning to religious bankruptcy Phil.

The more they (the religious) struggle the more convincing is their argument for a non-deity...they just haven't woken up to the fact that this is what they are doing.

Don't lean too hard cause nothing is there and you might fall and break something Smile
(February 13, 2012 at 9:44 am)Rhythm Wrote: I'm sure one of our resident theists has a platitude to peddle in this regard.

I doubt our resident theist could define platitude. Stop teasing them Smile
I have been religious free for a great many years now.

Science in all it's beauty and wonder far outstrips the pathetic imaginings of primitive (Iron Age) goat herders.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 13, 2012 at 9:47 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: goat herders.
At least they had that right. Fresh goat meat is quite tasty.
Even in philosophical fields like morality and purpose, I find secular thinking offers a much clearer view and provides more satisfying answers than religious thinking.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Because "religious thinking" has become an oxymoron.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Sam harris, How the Sausage of faith Is Made Atheistoz 3 2218 November 7, 2015 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Thank you, Sam Harris ThePrimeSingularity 44 9084 December 13, 2013 at 10:29 am
Last Post: Duck
  Sam Harris simply destroys William Lane Craig little_monkey 10 6254 July 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Sam Harris on 9/11 little_monkey 31 10705 September 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Erinome