Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam harris, How the Sausage of faith Is Made
Video 
Sam harris, How the Sausage of faith Is Made

Almost every pro-religious argument I've seen asserts that religion has a moral value that society benefits from. Even if proponents concede that the truth value of religion is low, they remain proponents by saying that the moral value is high. In other words, they fall back on saying that religion plays an important function in society even if it is factually wrong.
I know
a priori that I don't need a faith to be a positive component of my environment. My morality emerges from my empathy, my ego, and my reasoning. If it can work for me, it can work for others, and for society as a whole. For me, the recognition of this does away with religion's final handhold, its moral monopoly. The whole thing is superfluous to me.
RE: Sam harris, How the Sausage of faith Is Made
It's nonsense, I agree. Religion is nothing to do with morality, at least not any definition of the word that I consider important.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
But I'm always amazed by people needing some posterhead to come to a self evident conclusion. Really, I don't see the fascination. It's not as if the OP was an original thought to be pointed out.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Yes, there's so much suffering that happens to people that has nothing to do with what they've done in their life. They get cancer not because they smoke a lot, or anything, but just because it happens. Even in the case of someone kidnapping another person to use them as a sex slave, you could say god cares more about the free will of the kidnapper, than the kidnapped. The free will argument doesn't work.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3876 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1255 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Made in God’s image. Yuk. Not me thanks. Greatest I am 20 3038 July 25, 2020 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 935 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11022 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12318 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Made for TV/ about Cleveland abductions. Brian37 0 345 November 13, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 830 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2907 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4199 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic