Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the point?
Whats the point?
Was talking with a friend today and he said "whats the point in talking about atheism. Its not like its going to help anything. Why bother waisting your time."

I figured everyone should care about the effect of religion..

Anyway what would you have replied if you were me?
RE: Whats the point?
I agree with your friend. I don't talk about atheism, I only respond to things I don't agree with done in the name of someones' faith.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'd of said
"Oh no, it doesn't matter does it that billions of people in the world are believing in fairy tales. That billions more have died in the name of religion over the course of human history. Talking about atheism and getting people to abandon these barbaric stone age practices is pointless isn't it? You're absolutely right, waste of time indeed"

/sarcasm
(February 21, 2012 at 12:35 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I agree with your friend. I don't talk about atheism, I only respond to things I don't agree with done in the name of someones' faith.

Fair enough. We were talking about religion before hand tho.
(February 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm)Insanity x Wrote: Fair enough. We were talking about religion before hand tho.

Almost always part and parcel whenever discussing atheism.
(February 21, 2012 at 12:35 pm)Napoleon Wrote: I'd of said
"Oh no, it doesn't matter does it that billions of people in the world are believing in fairy tales. That billions more have died in the name of religion over the course of human history. Talking about atheism and getting people to abandon these barbaric stone age practices is pointless isn't it? You're absolutely right, waste of time indeed"

/sarcasm

Haha! not too far off my response. Its not like im badly effected by anything fundamentalist (exept when they try to ban games GRrrrrrr) but I feel bad when I hear/read about people that do everyday. Its like not talking about it is ignoring that there is a problem.
(February 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm)Napoleon Wrote:
(February 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm)Insanity x Wrote: Fair enough. We were talking about religion before hand tho.

Almost always part and parcel whenever discussing atheism.

Good point. I just mean i didnt run up to the guy like "Im an atheist you should be to. you know the best bit. Nobody watches you while you masturbate!"
(February 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm)Insanity x Wrote: you know the best bit. Nobody watches you while you masturbate!"

To me that's the biggest drawback.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(February 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm)leo-rcc Wrote:
(February 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm)Insanity x Wrote: you know the best bit. Nobody watches you while you masturbate!"

To me that's the biggest drawback.

Yeah I guess meatspinning the webcam pretending its the ROFLCOPTER isnt quite the same as an all powerfull being.
(February 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm)Insanity x Wrote: I figured everyone should care about the effect of religion..
You're not talking about atheism then, but the real harmful effects of religion, so it begs the question why your friend felt it necessary to use atheism as a red herring.
(February 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm)Insanity x Wrote: Was talking with a friend today and he said "whats the point in talking about atheism. Its not like its going to help anything. Why bother waisting your time."

I figured everyone should care about the effect of religion..

Anyway what would you have replied if you were me?

My views?

Pointing out the ignorance and potential damage that certain religious cults can have on humanity is important.

Putting down any and all concepts of spirituality or mysticism just because there exist hateful cults that preach jealous Gods is both wrong, and over-kill, IMHO.

Over-reacting to hateful cults by jumping on the bandwagon that all mystical or spiritual views should be renounced as being stupid, is both wrong, and totally unwarranted.

Finally, preaching that "pure secular atheism" (i.e. the idea that there cannot be any possible spiritual essence to reality), is itself a faith-based religion that cannot be supported by known scientific knowledge.

That very false myth right there is actually becoming a popular faith-based religion in its own right. It's not only a faith-based religion, but it a complete and false representation of what current modern scientific knowledge actually knows or can 'rule out'.

The street myth that science can rule-out any and all possible spiritual views, is a growing myth that has absolutely no basis in scientific knowledge at all. It's a street myth being created and supported by radical 'atheists' themselves.

It's just yet another superstitious myth that has no basis in human knowledge of reality.

So if you want to argue against a particular religion you should focus on doing precisely that. Taking the stance that no possible spiritual view of reality is possible, is really not much different at all from taking the stance that Jesus is God. Neither has a leg to stand on.
Christian - A moron who believes that an all-benevolent God can simultaneously be a hateful jealous male-chauvinistic pig.
Wiccan - The epitome of cerebral evolution having mastered the magical powers of the universe and is in eternal harmony with the mind of God.
Atheist - An ill-defined term that means something different to everyone who uses it.
~~~~~
Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Clearly Jesus (a fictitious character or otherwise) will forgive people if they merely know not what they do
For the Bible Tells us so!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 566 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Your point of living? joe90 82 10717 May 9, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why I'm an atheist, a point of confusion for many theists Asmodee 28 5490 December 21, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  whats the biggest reason you left christianity? Rextos 40 5319 July 31, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  What is the point of anything? Nell 42 8396 February 13, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  whats the point of this forum? christianteen 32 6764 December 25, 2014 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  whats the message? fojo 4 1039 November 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: fojo
  Hey Gnostic Atheist - prove your point answer-is-42 26 7021 September 18, 2014 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Tonus
  What is the point of Heaven? Manowar 42 8754 September 4, 2014 at 12:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My brother made a good point Thinking Christian 46 11186 August 13, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: jughead