Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist from south Florida (USA)
Atheist from south Florida (USA)
Hello. My name is Ozzie. I've been wanting to join an active atheism forum for quite a while. I was born into a family that was a mix of Catholicism and Baptist. I have been an atheist since I was 14 years old, when I realized that I could no longer believe the stories in the Bible. The more I read them, the more my belief in God weakened. I could not believe that there could be a God so evil as to command his followers to commit incest, genocide, and condone slavery.

I told my parents that I was an atheist when I turned 21. Initially they accused me of being possessed by the devil, and refused to acknowledge that I was an atheist. Then they accused me of being a Satan worshiper, and finally they blamed by college professors of brainwashing me. After 6 years of being "out of the closet" they finally accepted that I don't believe in God, and that I am still the son that they've always know and love (and not some evil Satan worshiper.)

I tell most people that I am agnostic, since they don't know what that means and thinks it is some sort of religion. However, most of the people whom I've told that I am an atheist have reacted with horror. It cost me a few friendships, but those who still are my friends have finally accepted that I am atheist.

I am a lawyer by trade, and like my user name suggests, an avid Miami Marlins fan. Being a fan of one of the most unpredictable and colorful baseball teams there is, takes a lot of patience and commitment. But go Fish! Marlins are #1 Big Grin

Anyway, sorry for making my introduction so long, but I wanted to give you all a little background story about me.
RE: Atheist from south Florida (USA)
Welcome Ozzie You will probably get called Marlin or Miami. No your post isn't that long, so enjoy your stay here.

Hi from the Land Down Under Tongue
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
my old stomping grounds. i lived in miami beach for a while. welcome!
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
Miami_Marlins_fan Wrote:I told my parents that I was an atheist when I turned 21. Initially they accused me of being possessed by the devil, and refused to acknowledge that I was an atheist. Then they accused me of being a Satan worshiper, and finally they blamed by college professors of brainwashing me.

Welcome, and may I say, I am sorry you have parents like that.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Welcome.
Cunt
(April 23, 2012 at 12:11 am)Miami_Marlins_fan Wrote: Marlins are #1
National League East
Team W L PCT GB
Washington 12 4 .750 -
Atlanta 10 6 .625 2.0
NY Mets 8 6 .571 3.0
Miami 7 8 .467 4.5
Philadelphia 7 9 .438 5.0

By #1 did you really mean #4?
Welcome, I'm from West Palm Beach myself.
Quote:finally they blamed by college professors of brainwashing me.

Rick Santorum devotees obviously.

Welcome aboard.
Welcome! Smile
Jacksonville, FL here. Welcome aboard! Big Grin
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from south florida! My coming out story... FollowingFeynman89 7 790 May 15, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
  Living in America's South... mlmooney89 33 2525 June 7, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Edit: *Living in* Pennsylvania USA Easy Guns 27 3424 July 4, 2015 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Joods
  Hello from the deep south Strider 40 4541 December 5, 2014 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Alex K
Rainbow Brit Atheist Moving to USA AJHammet 25 4308 November 19, 2013 at 8:26 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Howdy from the South Krazar 34 7365 October 7, 2013 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  Hi from the middle of bible thumper USA The Last Resort 21 5048 May 19, 2013 at 3:28 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Hello from Missouri, USA Stucky 26 4067 September 29, 2011 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower
  Joe Bloe (Adelaide, South Australia) Joe Bloe 16 4004 November 29, 2009 at 8:49 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Hi From Florida p-brane 16 4905 September 22, 2009 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Amphora