Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for a service / business.
Idea for a service / business.
About six months ago I embarked on a "quest" to remove as many references to myself from the Internet as I could. This would cover various personal details, photos, etc. Now, 6 months later, I've learned a lot about how to go about removing these details.

A company called Abine offer a service called "DeleteMe" which costs $99 a year, although they only remove details once every 3 months, and do not respond to your requests to remove content immediately (i.e. if you spot some personal details, you can alert them, but you will have to wait until the next cycle for them to attempt a removal).

My idea to expand upon this is as follows:

1) Have tiered payment systems, where $100 will offer the same service DeleteMe does, $150 will do monthly checks, and $200 will do weekly checks.
2) When I cannot remove content (if I can't find a removal method, or I find sites that you actually have accounts on and have accidentally posted personal details) I will alert you with instructions on how best to go about removing the details yourself.
3) When details are removed from sites, I will also request that Google (and possibly other search engines) delete the information from their caches.

In terms of payment, I was thinking of making it more affordable by allowing recurring payments instead of one-off payments (for people who don't want to wait to save up enough money). I'm also thinking that if I don't manage to remove any personal details during one of the checks, I refund you the cost of that check.

Anyway, what do people think about this? Do you think it is a viable business model? Would anyone want to be involved? (I'd ideally need people in the US to help).

Edit: Forgot to add, that one of the benefits of having this service is that I would purchase premium accounts on a lot of search engines that deal exclusively with private content, meaning my clients wouldn't have to.
RE: Idea for a service / business.
I think it is a great idea Tiberius!!

Tiberius Wrote:My idea to expand upon this is as follows:

1) Have tiered payment systems, where $100 will offer the same service DeleteMe does, $150 will do monthly checks, and $200 will do weekly checks.
2) When I cannot remove content (if I can't find a removal method, or I find sites that you actually have accounts on and have accidentally posted personal details) I will alert you with instructions on how best to go about removing the details yourself.
3) When details are removed from sites, I will also request that Google (and possibly other search engines) delete the information from their caches.

In terms of payment, I was thinking of making it more affordable by allowing recurring payments instead of one-off payments (for people who don't want to wait to save up enough money). I'm also thinking that if I don't manage to remove any personal details during one of the checks, I refund you the cost of that check.

This seems reasonable but what cost to you and your time? Are you contemplating leaving your current employer??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I think there is a market for such a service. How big that market is and what they're willing to pay is another story.

I think you would need a LOT of advertising dollars.
Still, there may be some merit to this idea of yours.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Cool idea. Employ me please.
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does reading a lot of Wikipedia give people a wrong idea how science works? FlatAssembler 145 7593 November 5, 2023 at 7:20 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy arewethereyet 10 1005 February 24, 2023 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Windows Service pack 3 Brian37 1 1366 December 27, 2013 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda