Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming to the end of an era
Coming to the end of an era
I was just struck by the realization yesterday the Steven Hawking is 71 and Richard Dawkins is 72. Realistically, they probably have a decade or so of useful life left and this is somewhat frightening. Who will fill these shoes?
RE: Coming to the end of an era
Someone will. They always do.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
What I find amusing is that Dawkins may die of old age, and the fundamentalists will still claim "Ha! Punished by God!".
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
He looks pretty good for a 72 year old.
Cunt
Have to say I didn't think Dawkins was that old. It's a good point though, who indeed.

I like Sam Harris, but he's no replacement

We need someone with sufficient gravitas and a big pair of nadgers

Someone both more competent, and more knowledgeable, due in no small part to the contributions each of these men made to their fields. That's how it works. We keep standing on top of each others shoulders until someone is high enough to get a good view of the situation down below..lol.

You could always fill them Mor....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm sure there will be someone to take their places, but who? Are there any young up and coming prospects that you guys know of?

(May 2, 2012 at 8:39 am)Chuff Wrote: Have to say I didn't think Dawkins was that old. It's a good point though, who indeed.

I honestly thought he was in his early-mid 60's at the most.
In the UK at least, Brian Cox is a well known physicist and makes documentaries about physics, and is very popular ( to the point of being parodied by various comedy shows ).
Maybe we could work up some Juju and resurrect Hitch.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Zombie Hitchens Vs Zombie Jesus... who wouldn't pay for that fight,
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coming Out TheJefe817 8 1156 April 1, 2023 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  (Sensitivity required) Coming out to someone SlowCalculations 12 1777 October 27, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' Duty 20 3476 March 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4174 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8709 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1641 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5537 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  It's coming up to that time of year again... The Valkyrie 40 12326 September 23, 2017 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1755 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5216 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus