Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeologists Discover Lost Language
Archaeologists Discover Lost Language
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...124007.htm

Interesting and evidence for the Assyrian policy of deporting populations from one part of their empire to another.
RE: Archaeologists Discover Lost Language
that is pretty awesome. i was told by a coworker years ago that was from tamil nadu that his language (tamil) was the oldest written language in the world. perhaps i should forward him this link.

the rest about the assyrian did a "wooosh" to me. lol
they can land a rover on mars, yet they still have to stick a human finger up my ass to do a prostate exam?! - ricky gervais
Quite advanced those Assyrians .... Yes??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 12, 2012 at 5:45 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Quite advanced those Assyrians .... Yes??

Yeah - in a looting, pillaging, murdering, raping kind of way!

What they were doing was a precursor to the US government's movement of Indian tribes onto reservations. These reservations were generally a long way from the lands and climates that the culture had evolved in. The idea was to break the association with the land of the conquered people. We probably got the idea from the Assyrians.

I have a good friend who is a baptist ( we don't talk about religion much and when we do it is in the guise of "history" rather than religion) but I asked her one time if she knew when "Galilee" was brought back into the so-called "Jewish fold." She did not know what I meant. I explained that both her bible and archaeology/history had confirmed the Assyrian policy of moving conquered peoples around the empire. The bible with its grandiose numbers insisted that ALL the people were moved out which is silly and much of the bible is simply silly but the Assyrians were more reasonable. New Peoples and presumably new cults were moved in. After the Assyrians came the Babylonians then the Persians then the Greeks. So when did this area revert to Judaism? She did not know. I looked it up. It was not until the Hasmonean kings, John Hyrcanus and Alexander Jannaeus c 102-100 BC that Jerusalem was finally able to exert its power even as far as the Sea of Galilee and the population was "forcibly converted" to Judaism. This unhappy state of affairs lasted two generations. Pompey and his legions came rolling through in 63 BC. But it into this marginally "Jewish" area that the writers of gospel fiction placed their hero. Just interesting shit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Archaeologists Know Its December Minimalist 2 787 December 4, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Archaeologists Think They Have Found the Wreck of The Santa Maria Minimalist 31 7250 May 14, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Study suggests that Neandertals shared speech and language with modern humans Minimalist 13 6419 July 10, 2013 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Full Circle
  Astrobiologists discover fossils in meteorite fragments, confirming extraterrestrial life Phish 16 6062 April 12, 2013 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Archaeologists unearth 'unparalleled' pre-Christian temple in Norway KichigaiNeko 3 2034 March 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger