Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeologists unearth 'unparalleled' pre-Christian temple in Norway
Archaeologists unearth 'unparalleled' pre-Christian temple in Norway
http://www.freethoughtnation.com/contrib...orway.html

[Image: norwayhorg.jpg]

Quote:A fascinating discovery is shedding light upon pre-Christian Scandinavian religion and early Christian inroads into Norway. In the Norwegian press, this highly important find is being called "unparalleled," "first of its kind" and "unique," said to have been "deliberately and carefully hidden" - from invading and destructive Christians.

Located at the site of Ranheim, about 10 kilometers south of the Norwegian city of Trondheim, the astonishing discovery was unearthed while excavating foundations for new houses and includes a "gudehovet" or "god temple." Occupied from the 6th or 5th century BCE until the 10th century AD/CE, the site shows signs of usage for animal sacrifice, a common practice among different peoples in antiquity, including the biblical Israelites. (E.g., Num 7:17-88) Over 1,000 years ago, the site was dismantled and covered by a thick layer of peat, evidently to protect it from marauding Christian invaders. These native Norse religionists apparently then fled to other places, such as Iceland, where they could re-erect their altars and re-establish the old religion.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: Archaeologists unearth 'unparalleled' pre-Christian temple in Norway
I'd like to see this.
I find ancient religions very interesting.
I wish that the Scandinavian pagans religion still existed.
They do...sort of. More likely they are modern "reconstructions" of Old Pagan Religions. They are around. Where are you Xavier??
Start HERE
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
There are attempts at reconstruction of almost any religion or spiritual tradition you care to ponder over. They all fill gaps with similar doctrine, the overarching pagan theme, if you will.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Archaeologists Know Its December Minimalist 2 790 December 4, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pre-Clovis Find in Oregon Minimalist 12 3212 March 9, 2015 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  6000 year old temple unearthed in Ukraine Jackalope 7 2757 October 22, 2014 at 6:19 pm
  Archaeologists Think They Have Found the Wreck of The Santa Maria Minimalist 31 7250 May 14, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Archaeologists Discover Lost Language Minimalist 3 1964 May 12, 2012 at 11:46 am
  Herod The Great Did Not Finish The Temple Minimalist 9 2672 November 25, 2011 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb