Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infinite number of planets with life
Infinite number of planets with life
I'm 15, my name is Rafael and I made a conclusion, for sure someone else arrived on the same thing (or maybe further) as the world is full of people... but I'm just sharing that for people to think about it or maybe show me something I didn't see...
so...

there is no end for the universe, right? so there is a infinite number of galaxies with a infinite number of planets,

our planet is pretty "lucky" in his position with the sun, some centimeters away : to cold, some cm near: to hot...
all this "perfection" make people believe in something else because it just can't be "luck"... but if there is a planet in this perfect position, there is a probability... (0.something 1)

let's say this probability is 0.000000000...000...0001
and how many 0 you want, its a very small number...
but remember that 0.0howmany0syouwant0.1 X (times) & (let's use & as infinite symbol because I don't have the symbol on my phone and its 3 a.m... XP) is always infinite:

0.00...000..000...001 X & = &
because a part of infinite is infinite, doesn't matter how small that is...

but there is always the time, which I also think is infinite a timeline is not like that
|___________________________________________|
is something like that
........_______________________________________........
so, no end, infinite number of billions of years
and as you know some millions of years ago the earth wasn't that good for life... so we take the probability that this planet with life is in this "good" time, which is 0.(tons of 0).1
something like that in our timeline
...._________________(-)___________________.....
remembering that this is a fraction of the infinite, a really, really small number... tons of 0s...

to know how many planets have life in this time we have to multiply our 2 numbers...

0.00...0...0...001 X 0.000....000...000...001

and that will do a smaller number than before, a 0. almost infinite 0s and 1... or if you prefer 1 in 9999999999999.....

a tiny, tiny number, but... who cares? its always bigger than 0, and anything bigger than 0 times infinite stills infinite... (my mind lost its virginity years ago...0.o)

and everything make me think that if there is a & number of planets better than ours, a & number of planets worse, older, yanger, nicer, identical... at ours.... well & number of planets out there... well, now I noticed I didn't arrive in any conclusion... I though I did ... 0.o I don't know... too late, can't think anymore... XP
anyways... it was good to write that... I'll keep that up to when I think in something else...
RE: Infinite number of planets with life
There is an end to this universe, dear.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Quote:there is no end for the universe, right?

Actually, we know not only how big across the observable universe is, but also how much mass is in it.

Quote:our planet is pretty "lucky" in his position with the sun, some centimeters away : to cold, some cm near: to hot...

This is also untrue. The habitable zone is estimated to be some 2.28 AU wide. Furthermore, the Earth's orbit is elliptical, so its distance from the sun varies between 152 million kilometers at its aphelion and 147 million kilometers at its perihelion. That's certainly not a difference of centimeters.

Edited to fix my failure to include observable.
[Image: hoviksig-1.png]
Ex Machina Libertas
"There are an infinite number of worlds, however, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.”

-Douglas Adams
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Welcome. A couple of points if I may. First off, we can safely say that time began when the Universe did, which would be around 13,000,000,000 years ago; a long time, certainly, but not the same as infinite. However, the most glaring thing I want to address is this:

(June 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm)rafa360 Wrote: our planet is pretty "lucky" in his position with the sun, some centimeters away : to cold, some cm near: to hot...

We certainly are lucky in the sense that our planet orbits in what's known as the Inhabitable Zone, or more prosaically the Goldilocks Zone. However it's nowhere near as critical as you make out - the Earth's orbit varies by as much as five million kilometres, about 780 Earth-radii, over the course of a year, with no danger to us at all.

I'm interested to see how you develop these points though.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Stimbo Wrote:[...] our planet orbits in what's known as the Inhabitable Zone.

We'd be in real trouble if this is the case! Tongue
Ex Machina Libertas
Okay, the Habitable Zone - don't pick on me or I'll set the hovercat on you! Anyway, just as with flammable and inflammable, the 'in' doesn't negate the word it prefixes. So Razz
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 6, 2012 at 5:51 pm)Hovik Wrote:
Quote:there is no end for the universe, right?

Actually, we know not only how big across the universe is, but also how much mass is in it.

Minor nit: We know how big the observable universe is.

ETA: The nit may not be so minor. There may be a bazillion metric asstons of stuff in the unobservable universe. Thinking
Kudos for Observable Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I was of course just picking on you in good fun, Stimbo. Tongue

(June 6, 2012 at 6:08 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Anyway, just as with flammable and inflammable, the 'in' doesn't negate the word it prefixes. So Razz

But, aaaaactually...
The word inflammable is actually inflame + -able and comes from Latin inflammare. Any appearance of relationship to the prefix in- is coincidental.
The prefix in- is a prefix of negation which also has variations in form such as im-, il-, and ir-, found in such words as inadequate, impossible, illegible and irresponsible. These are all the same prefix, the form of which changes depending on the initial sound of the word to which it attaches, the underlying or base form of which is in-. This is a concept known as allomorphy in linguistics.

CthulhuDreaming Wrote:Minor nit: We know how big the observable universe is.

You're right; that was my error. Nonetheless, the universe is not infinite in any practical sense (at least so far as modern physics can tell us).
Ex Machina Libertas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1172 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6278 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3913 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Do All Protons Have the Same Number of Quarks? Rhondazvous 20 3680 October 9, 2017 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
Question Can the space (or else measurable) be actually infinite? theBorg 12 3491 August 28, 2016 at 5:42 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Egg shaped planets do exist... ReptilianPeon 11 2292 July 16, 2015 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Is the universe infinite? Spacedog 18 3377 November 19, 2014 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Supersized rocky planets are out there. downbeatplumb 40 6614 June 24, 2014 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Tightly Packed Planets thesummerqueen 2 1537 October 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Tidal Forces on Alien Planets thesummerqueen 1 1403 February 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: passionatefool