Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"You were never a true believer, then."
"You were never a true believer, then."
I've been getting this a lot lately from xtians whenever I inform them I wasn't always an atheist. They ask what I was, I reply I was a christian, and they promptly adopt the most annoyingly condescending tone you can imagine and say "Well you must have not have been a true believer, then."

Ok, dickweeds, do tell me what a "true believer" is. Is it someone who spends their entire life mindlessly slavering for a god that people claim performs miracles for them when needed but only in very selective circumstances and only for people who inevitably go on to do fucking absolutely nothing with her lives in the long run anyway? Or maybe it's being completely unquestioning, and seeing everything from only a single perspective and never daring to try to look at something from another angle? Better yet, how do you know I was "never a true believer?" Were you there? Were you me? Did you have a psychic connection so you could have a thorough, deep, 100% accurate analysis of all my thoughts? No, so this is a presumptuous claim based solely on your opinions. It is you being judgmental. And as I recall from my days being a "true believer" there's this very centripetal passage where Jesus says something along the lines of "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Really, it sounds like some really crappy, half-assed attempt by the religious to deny the possibility that something like a christian deconverting could have ANYTHING to do with the fallibility of all their claims.
RE: "You were never a true believer, then."
Seems like that would be a compliment -- it means that you were never nearly as deluded and insane as they are. Congratulations!
I suspect you're right. I actually DO take it as a compliment though a backhanded one, but what truly irritates me is the assumptive, condescending tone of the statement itself and the self-ass-patting meaning to it.
The flip side to this issue is the number of times Christians say "I used to be an atheist". Upon further questioning they are usually talking about a time when they had stopped going to church and my response is "you were never a true atheist".

regards

grimesy
Ask them to define 'true believer'.

You can also reply "thank you" and go further to state "I would of considered it an insult if people thought I was silly enough to 'truly' believe in that bollocks.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
It's a defense mechanism. Rather than admit that a Christian finally realized they were deluding themselves, they have to claim that the Christian wasn't really a true Christian. What they feel through god is the real deal, so anyone who would give that up just wasn't doing it quite right.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It is definitely a defense mechanism. Straight up No True Scotsman.

Amongst we atheists you sometimes find some who are really believers but just really hurt or disappointed with some event they blame God for. You know these are really itching to kiss and make up. Being atheist for them is like holding their breath until they turn blue .. they can't really do it.
Yes definitely defensive. Another tactic I have come across is the assertion "people don't know about Jesus any more". This implies that the only reason very few people are believers (in the UK at least) is that knowledge about this story is somehow being withheld (by the Devil?) and if free access to it were given then the churchs would be bulging at the seams. This is probably better than observing that people know about the Xtian myth and chose not to believe it.

regards

Grimesy
The concept of true believer is worthless unless it enables one to predict the defining act of non-belief before it occurs.
Quote:Ok, dickweeds, do tell me what a "true believer" is

All dickweeds think that THEY are true believers. See G-C around here as a prime example.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you're really a spektic then explain this: jasonstackhouse 142 5896 February 24, 2024 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3361 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1032 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1577 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4123 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 6876 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3685 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  If there were no atheists? Graufreud 24 4129 July 20, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1641 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  What were your first questions? Sayetsu 51 7708 March 28, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet