Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 5:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern examples of gullibility as evidence against Christian claims
Shocked 
Modern examples of gullibility as evidence against Christian claims
A common argument I hear from apologists basically says that if Jesus wasn't really the son of God, didn't perform all those miracles, didn't really rise from the dead, and his apostles and followers didn't perform miracles and have revelations, then Christianity wouldn't lasted and become the major religion it is today. I.e., no substantial number of people would have believed it if its claims weren't true.

There are many problems with this argument, but I think one the strongest refutations of it would be just to notice how many crazy things many people believe in today's modern society. Just think of all the faith healers that many people still fall for (often literally fall for) even though they have been exposed many times to be frauds. Or take a look at how many people fall for new age alternative health solutions such as magnetic bracelets or other such useless items and are convinced in their power despite unsupporting evidence. Many believe in UFOs, ghosts, and bigfoot today still (Just see the so called History channel). And just think of those religious cults that started in 20th century that had devoted followers even to death (such as the group that killed themselves to be taken up to haley's comet or something like that). And of course, there's scientology.

Now, keep in mind, these are things that managed to become relatively prominent in today's modern literate, and scientifically and technologically advanced age. We have instant access to enormous amounts of information through the internet. It's not difficult for one to do fact checking to see how bogus, for instance, faith healers are. Yet despite the widespread literacy and the instant access to communication and information, such fanciful and ridiculous ideas persist!

Now imagine how much worse the problem would have been in ancient times without widespread literacy, without instant long distance communication, without instant and convenient access to information, and without the more rigorous scientific and critical methodology of our modern age.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Modern examples of gullibility as evidence against Christian claims
This may be off topic, but it still feels like it may be germane:
I've heard Christians claim that, shortly after Jesus was crucified, there were 500 people who saw him and that this proves the resurrection took place.

Putting aside all questions of the historicity of Jesus, whether or not the 500 people has any real reference in a real incident, or whether or not it's possible that Jesus survived his Crucifixion.

How many people have seen Elvis since he died in 1977? I don't have any real numbers, but that must be in the thousands.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Very true but I have a more pressing issue that must be brought up, I think all will agree it is of the utmost importance. As you know we live in a free society but freedom is limited by the necessities and the needs that must take priority. It is not so much a matter of morality but a matter of survival and peace of mind. I am of course talking about your picture and how you should change it back to Patrick Stewart immediately. His shiny and perfectly round head is a pleasing sight to all and it has taken a severely negative toll on the psyches of many on this forum that you have decided to replace him with an inferior image. I therefore demand that he be put back in his rightful place so that this forum might once again prosper from his soothing presence.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(July 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Very true but I have a more pressing issue that must be brought up, I think all will agree it is of the utmost importance. As you know we live in a free society but freedom is limited by the necessities and the needs that must take priority. It is not so much a matter of morality but a matter of survival and peace of mind. I am of course talking about your picture and how you should change it back to Patrick Stewart immediately. His shiny and perfectly round head is a pleasing sight to all and it has taken a severely negative toll on the psyches of many on this forum that you have decided to replace him with an inferior image. I therefore demand that he be put back in his rightful place so that this forum might once again prosper from his soothing presence.

Just for that, I switched to a Picard picture WITH HAIR. No shiny head for you! bwahahahahahaha
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(July 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote:
(July 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Very true but I have a more pressing issue that must be brought up, I think all will agree it is of the utmost importance. As you know we live in a free society but freedom is limited by the necessities and the needs that must take priority. It is not so much a matter of morality but a matter of survival and peace of mind. I am of course talking about your picture and how you should change it back to Patrick Stewart immediately. His shiny and perfectly round head is a pleasing sight to all and it has taken a severely negative toll on the psyches of many on this forum that you have decided to replace him with an inferior image. I therefore demand that he be put back in his rightful place so that this forum might once again prosper from his soothing presence.

Just for that, I switched to a Picard picture WITH HAIR. No shiny head for you! bwahahahahahaha

what episode did he have hair and what was the reason?
Quote:there were 500 people who saw him and that this proves the resurrection took place.

What were their names and addresses.? Angel Cloud

Quote:I.e., no substantial number of people would have believed it if its claims weren't true.

Common logical fallacy; argumentum ad populum (appeal to the people)

Quote:In logic, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes a proposition to be true because many or most people believe it. In other words, the basic idea of the argument is: "If many believe so, it is so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

I rarely bother arguing with dogmatic Christian apologists because (a) I usually find them intellectually dishonest (b) willfully ignorant © not having grasped the basics of critical thought and rational discussion. It's like trying to have an intelligent conversation with a recalcitrant and rather dim 12 year old child.
(July 11, 2012 at 12:09 am)Drich Wrote:
(July 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Just for that, I switched to a Picard picture WITH HAIR. No shiny head for you! bwahahahahahaha

what episode did he have hair and what was the reason?

Episode 5x12: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/violations

Think it was a flashback memory.
My ignore list

(July 10, 2012 at 9:52 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: A common argument I hear from apologists basically says that if Jesus wasn't really the son of God, didn't perform all those miracles, didn't really rise from the dead, and his apostles and followers didn't perform miracles and have revelations, then Christianity wouldn't lasted and become the major religion it is today. I.e., no substantial number of people would have believed it if its claims weren't true.

There are many problems with this argument, but I think one the strongest refutations of it would be just to notice how many crazy things many people believe in today's modern society. Just think of all the faith healers that many people still fall for (often literally fall for) even though they have been exposed many times to be frauds. Or take a look at how many people fall for new age alternative health solutions such as magnetic bracelets or other such useless items and are convinced in their power despite unsupporting evidence. Many believe in UFOs, ghosts, and bigfoot today still (Just see the so called History channel). And just think of those religious cults that started in 20th century that had devoted followers even to death (such as the group that killed themselves to be taken up to haley's comet or something like that). And of course, there's scientology.

Now, keep in mind, these are things that managed to become relatively prominent in today's modern literate, and scientifically and technologically advanced age. We have instant access to enormous amounts of information through the internet. It's not difficult for one to do fact checking to see how bogus, for instance, faith healers are. Yet despite the widespread literacy and the instant access to communication and information, such fanciful and ridiculous ideas persist!

Now imagine how much worse the problem would have been in ancient times without widespread literacy, without instant long distance communication, without instant and convenient access to information, and without the more rigorous scientific and critical methodology of our modern age.

There is a problem with your reasoning, these things you mention are Johnny come lately's. They are not time tested and when they are IMO they will be long forgotten. Christianity has stood the test of time, many religions have come and gone but Christianity is still here and doing rather well. Oh and the things you mentioned and how much worse they would be in ancient times, well they were there in some form and are now gone. When something comes along has nothing to do with it lasting, it will last as long as truth is found in it.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 11, 2012 at 1:17 am)Godschild Wrote: ...

There is a problem with your reasoning, these things you mention are Johnny come lately's. They are not time tested and when they are IMO they will be long forgotten. Christianity has stood the test of time, many religions have come and gone but Christianity is still here and doing rather well. Oh and the things you mentioned and how much worse they would be in ancient times, well they were there in some form and are now gone. When something comes along has nothing to do with it lasting, it will last as long as truth is found in it.

Are you serious?

Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, and native american religions have stood the test of time too.

It does not follow that if a belief is old and has "stood the test of time" (whatever that 'test' actually involves), that therefore that belief is true.
My ignore list

Quote:Christianity has stood the test of time,

You seem to imply age bestows validity;it doesn't.

Quote:Many religions have come and gone

Indeed, but Hinduisms and Buddhism are both older than Christianity and the ancient Egyptian religion lasted for over three thousand years. Its moral code has much in common with Christianity.Be happy to provide some concrete examples if you like.

Quote:but Christianity is still here and doing rather well

Still here,yes,but how well Christianity is doing is a matter of opinion. EG in my lifetime, Australia has gone from an openly 'Christian' country to a secular one, as have most northern and central European countries.

Generally speaking,religion declines with affluence and education,and thrives in poverty and ignorance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 488 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1228 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89640 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4628 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2126 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37919 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 28249 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7412 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20294 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6031 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152