Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 11:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you deconstruct it, they will come
If you deconstruct it, they will come
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/st...gRIakpWSxL
Trying to update my sig ...
RE: If you deconstruct it, they will come
It pains me to think that the likelihood is a boycott (probably violent) by the fundies. If not then that'll be lovely, yet I seem to be aiming at a pretty inductively-probable occurrence.
Religion is an attempt to answer the philosophical questions of the unphilosophical man.
In your Latin byline, why is the second clause also in the subjunctive?
Trying to update my sig ...
Given atheists claim that there is no belief in atheism, apart from opposing theism, having an atheism night is purely antagonistic to theists. So it's unsurprising that theists would protest against it.
(July 18, 2012 at 3:29 am)Selliedjoup Wrote: Given atheists claim that there is no belief in atheism, apart from opposing theism, having an atheism night is purely antagonistic to theists.

Because not believing in unicorns means that I oppose unicorns and all that they stand for.

Horny bastards.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(July 18, 2012 at 4:15 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote:
(July 18, 2012 at 3:29 am)Selliedjoup Wrote: Given atheists claim that there is no belief in atheism, apart from opposing theism, having an atheism night is purely antagonistic to theists.

Because not believing in unicorns means that I oppose unicorns and all that they stand for.

Horny bastards.

So it would seem.
(July 18, 2012 at 4:15 am)NoMoreFaith Wrote:

Horny bastards.

BURN THE UNICORN WORSHIPING HEATHENS IN THE NAME OF HIS NOODLINESS, MAY THEY BE CURSED WITH STALE BEER FOR ALL ETERNITY!

I don't see the point in the night (or in baseball at all tbh), but then i don't see the point in protesting it either. BUT, if it's going to cause a protest all of a sudden an atheism night/baseball event becomes worth it >8 ).
(July 18, 2012 at 3:29 am)Selliedjoup Wrote: Given atheists claim that there is no belief in atheism, apart from opposing theism, having an atheism night is purely antagonistic to theists. So it's unsurprising that theists would protest against it.

Such strong words you use. "Belief." "Opposing." Ahh, yes, Sellied. Once again your utter incompetence in understanding the fundamental basics of atheism shows itself in all of its ignorant glory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/atheism

I said "no belief" the addition of the word "no" changes things somewhat.

You also state you're Anti-theist.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/anti
Good show old sport, you quote a dictionary to define a set of ethos.

Quote:Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist

"Simply the absence of belief." If you really read the article you'd have stumbled on that sentence, along with the ones that the NARROWER definitions of atheism are the belief there is no god, and the middle ground is the rejection of belief in a god. Meaning you prefer to use the narrower definition instead of the broader one, and as has been posited to you about a thousand times now, this isn't the best decision to make due to the huge variances within atheism anyway. It'd be like me saying that all Christians think the Pope is between men and god; true for some, false for many others.

And yes, good job, you noticed the "anti" in my "religious views." As in, I am outright opposed to theism. But the same cannot be said for every atheist. And I did not read anywhere in the OP article that these individuals were having an anti-theistic event. So I'll just assume that was a non-sequitur. Unless of course it's meant to be an accusation in the derogatory sense or something, or an insinuation that I should feel it is open opposition to theists, or wish to view it as such, at least. Rest assured, I do not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5329 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3121 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1890 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11412 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  How come there arent many atheists such as Bill Maher Roeki 30 8805 July 6, 2017 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 1393 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1797 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists come up with ideal god sinnerdaniel94 124 16023 October 12, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why did you come to this board? Kingpin 131 20020 August 18, 2015 at 8:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why do never-theists come to atheist forums? watchamadoodle 26 6728 January 8, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: watchamadoodle