Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven?
Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven?
Assume the child is very young, somewhere in the range of 4-8, perhaps? Their parents are religious. They're worried about hell. What will your response be?
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
RE: Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven?
Not up to me to decide or comment.

I would remain non commital.

If the child is dying I assume the parents are nearby. It’s up to them to answer any such questions.

I have declined praying with sick patients and their families in the past.
Dying to live, living to die.
RE: Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven?
I'd probably stick with the more standard "Everything will be fine. The pain will be over soon" stuff. Also try to comfort them if they're afraid they're going to be set on fire after they die because their parents decided to be dicks and talk about hellfire and brimstone.

Maybe I'd let them still believe in heaven, just like how now's probably not a great time to tell them Santa isn't real.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

No tears. Only dreams now....
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
It depends on the situation.

At the most extreme end, if the child is literally going to be dead in a minute or two, and it's clearly indoctrinated, and no one else was at hand to comfort it... sure, I'd say it's going to heaven.

Other than that, I'd have to know what the circumstances were, and how I became involved in the situation. Best guess I'd try and say as little as possible and just be comforting.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
If I'm going to lie to a kid I'll tell them that they will get well instead.
(July 25, 2018 at 2:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: If I'm going to lie to a kid I'll tell them that they will get well instead.
But then when they're about to die you're gonna leave them feeling betrayed, sad and confused.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
(July 25, 2018 at 1:37 pm)DodosAreDead Wrote: Assume the child is very young, somewhere in the range of 4-8, perhaps? Their parents are religious. They're worried about hell. What will your response be?

As a nurse I can't really "answer" that question. Instead, I would have to state, "that's a question for your parents".
I'd tell them whatever brings them joy for the little time they have remaining...
Fuck principles. I'd lie out my arse to put a smile on a dying kid's face anytime.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
'No, love, you aren't going to Heaven, but something much more wonderful is going to happen.  When your body stops working, you'll sleep forever and ever.  But the part of you that's left will break down into a million, jillion teeny pieces and become part of everything in the whole world - trees, bumblebees, the oceans - just everything.  And those tiny bits of you will never, ever go away. You're going to be part of everything forever and ever, so you aren't really going away.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dying Well Jamie Boy 34 944 April 8, 2024 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 10452 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1160 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  [Serious] comforting the dying ColeDavis 31 2190 November 20, 2023 at 2:34 am
Last Post: ColeDavis
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1436 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1186 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5254 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2326 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4468 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Help me not fear heaven/hell Fleeing Jesus 128 13365 June 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Last Post: SenseMaker007