Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is doubt good?
Why is doubt good?
Why is doubt good? Doubt is very powerful. Take scientific advances for example, the computer you are typing on, the plane flying over your head, ect. Science works, it is effective and sure. Science manages this because of doubt. A healthy dose of doubt is what allows science to be reasonable and correct itself when it is wrong. Doubt is what religion is missing. Faith fails. If faith is touched by doubt it evaporates, at least the dangerous kind.
GodlessGirl
RE: Why is doubt good?
Doubt is important because acceptance of a proposition on blind faith alone is a recipe for disaster.
You really believe in a man who has helped to save the world twice, with the power to change his physical appearance? An alien who travels though time and space--in a police box?!? [Image: TARDIS.gif]
Because without it I wouldn't be able to find Fox News quite so hilarious.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Because No Doubt was a shit band.

Doubt is good because it is essential to separate intellectual wheat from chaff. I get really irritated by people who take doubt too far, however.
Hey I liked "no Doubt".

I really should download don't speak.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I concede that Tragic Kingdom was actually okay. Never liked anything else they did, though.
That's because you never heard that girl go country-which she (and they) frequently did live. Reggae too....lot of stuff actually. At some point (and I expect this happens with any band that -makes it- they became what they felt fans expected of them, rather than what made then good in the first place. Pretty girl with a voice on her and a band that could keep time -what's not to like?

hehehe.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 23, 2012 at 8:19 am)GodlessGirl Wrote: Why is doubt good? Doubt is very powerful. Take scientific advances for example, the computer you are typing on, the plane flying over your head, ect. Science works, it is effective and sure. Science manages this because of doubt. A healthy dose of doubt is what allows science to be reasonable and correct itself when it is wrong. Doubt is what religion is missing. Faith fails. If faith is touched by doubt it evaporates, at least the dangerous kind.

Because... hey wait a minute you already answered!

Well, this was a short thread.
(July 23, 2012 at 8:19 am)GodlessGirl Wrote: Why is doubt good? Doubt is very powerful. Take scientific advances for example, the computer you are typing on, the plane flying over your head, ect. Science works, it is effective and sure. Science manages this because of doubt. A healthy dose of doubt is what allows science to be reasonable and correct itself when it is wrong. Doubt is what religion is missing. Faith fails. If faith is touched by doubt it evaporates, at least the dangerous kind.

How do you know? (this is something that I can doubt…)
"the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate" (1 Cor. 1:19)
Good for you, it's good to doubt things. You know what make help you in this regard? Applying that skepticism evenly over any given group of things. For example, you doubt that I'm descended from a demi-god, I assume (even though I carry the name). But why?

(I am btw, the issue isn't open for debate Wink)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!