Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security Issues?
Question 
Security Issues?
Nevermind, I found the problem. It looks like Internet Explorer is a failure.
So I downloaded Firefox and it's working fine.

After this latest password update my computer insists that AFs are insecure. I am terrible with computers, but I do understand that it has something with the HTTP prefix in the web address bar. I went to security on my old, busted-ass computer, but all it told me was to lower the security. I did that, it didn't help.
Lastly, I tried putting this site on my safe list so it would ignore all security provisions- that didn't work at all. It wanted me to put a HTTPS instead of HTTP, but when I did it didn't help and moreover caused more popups declaring I had put this "HTTPS AFs" on my safe list and this wierd "HTTP AFs" was trying to access it.
I have these popups every time a change a page within the forums, and it annoys me to no end.
Any help? Is this fixable?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to provide.

*AFs is shorthand for Atheist Forums.
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true.
Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
-Bertrand Russell
RE: Security Issues?
(July 23, 2012 at 4:48 pm)Skepsis Wrote: Nevermind, I found the problem. It looks like Internet Explorer is a failure.
So I downloaded Firefox and it's working fine.

Yes, IE is a failure. Has been for quite some time. I have liked it better since he newest update but alas it still just isn't good enough to compete with the competition. Have you given Chrome a try? I use it, I love it. It is super fast, and just awesome all around, especially if you have a good account. You can link it to the Google account and your passwords are continuously synced as well as making it easier to just have stuff like gmail and drive just work easier. You should check it out.
"Stop chasing your tail and relax. Jesus is watching you make shit up." Shell B to CliveStaples

(July 21, 2012 at 12:31 am)cato123 Wrote:
(July 21, 2012 at 12:22 am)C.W. Sims Wrote: I for one, as a homo, must say that if he was a homo, then he had to have looked fabulous on that cross. Nearly naked, body all ripped, oh wait.... yeah, never mind. I'm gonna just stop right there before I offend anyone. ROFLOL

I have a certain distaste for the emoticons, and particularly despise the laughing/rolling dude when used in response to one's own statement, but.....

Holy fuck that was funny! "Nearly naked, body all ripped,....". Oh, fuck me. I'm still laughing but can no longer piss myself since I've emptied the tank.
Quote: Have you given Chrome a try?

Yes, and better than Firefox in my opinion. So is Safari, which might be called 'the thinking man's browser' I use Firefox at present.
(July 23, 2012 at 6:48 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote: Have you given Chrome a try?

Yes, and better than Firefox in my opinion. So is Safari, which might be called 'the thinking man's browser' I use Firefox at present.

I greatly dislike Safari for one reason and one reason only, no bookmark sync built in. Without that, if something happens I lose all of my bookmarks unless I have backed them up on another site, or something of that sort. I prefer Chrome's method of just integrating with the Google account and allowing integrated bookmark sync tied to my account. It's much more convenient.

Firefox would be better if it was faster and less of a resource hog. I used to love FF but when I tried Chrome I could never go back. The speed alone was prohibitive.
"Stop chasing your tail and relax. Jesus is watching you make shit up." Shell B to CliveStaples

(July 21, 2012 at 12:22 am)C.W. Sims Wrote: I for one, as a homo, must say that if he was a homo, then he had to have looked fabulous on that cross. Nearly naked, body all ripped, oh wait.... yeah, never mind. I'm gonna just stop right there before I offend anyone. ROFLOL

I have a certain distaste for the emoticons, and particularly despise the laughing/rolling dude when used in response to one's own statement, but.....

Holy fuck that was funny! "Nearly naked, body all ripped,....". Oh, fuck me. I'm still laughing but can no longer piss myself since I've emptied the tank.
So, you say Chrome is the better choice?
Is it an easy install like FF?
I have never been a computer guy and never give any thought as to which browser I use. Generally I'm satisfied with the browser that doesn't give me fits, but if Chrome or even Safari is worth it I should give it a look.
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true.
Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
-Bertrand Russell
Yes, Chrome is like the ultimate streamlined browser, no gimmicks or disgusting bars at the top of the screen. It just makes browsing faster and easier in every way I can think.

And it's just as easy an install as FF.
I honestly think Chrome has the easiest install of them all. But that's just my opinion. Safari is pretty easy, but if you have bookmarks to import good luck. I had to fiddle with it for what seemed like forever just to figure out how to import bookmarks. It really just shouldn't be that hard to do. Other than that it's pretty simple and easy to use, and fast as well. Just lacks a lot of the functionality that makes Chrome so awesome. You seriously should check Chrome out.

(July 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm)C.W. Sims Wrote: I honestly think Chrome has the easiest install of them all. But that's just my opinion. Safari is pretty easy, but if you have bookmarks to import good luck. I had to fiddle with it for what seemed like forever just to figure out how to import bookmarks. It really just shouldn't be that hard to do. Other than that it's pretty simple and easy to use, and fast as well. Just lacks a lot of the functionality that makes Chrome so awesome. You seriously should check Chrome out.

Cool, appreciate it. Can I download it off a website?
If I ask a foolish question, just assume I have never seen a computer before. That should show how bad I am with them.
-Bertrand Russell
(July 23, 2012 at 8:15 pm)Skepsis Wrote: Cool, appreciate it. Can I download it off a website?
If I ask a foolish question, just assume I have never seen a computer before. That should show how bad I am with them.

There is no such thing as a foolish question asked in true ignorance of the answer. You most definitely can download it from a website.

http://www.google.com/chrome/

That is the website that will allow you to download it and I believe it even automatically installs it.

Infinite thanks. Problems were resolved, and I can now use Chrome, Firefox and Safari- I'd call that a fairly successful outing.
-Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in Angrboda 89 11674 April 22, 2023 at 10:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Server issues Foxaèr 4 2157 March 6, 2023 at 8:28 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Having site issues Foxaèr 11 1652 November 1, 2017 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What's with the security check? rado84 20 2118 August 12, 2016 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is anyone else having issues loading the forum? Losty 19 2411 June 14, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Full Shoutbox Navigation Issues Darkstar 7 3250 April 6, 2013 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Two issues ... KichigaiNeko 19 6490 February 18, 2012 at 4:09 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko