Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brain Waves and God
Brain Waves and God
After reading a very intruiging article from EbonMusings, and then citing "the God Helmet", I came across the Dr. Michael Persinger--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Persinger

and so I wonder, if the part of our brain that is stimulated that is made us feel like there is an etherial presence in the room, therefore making it a measurable concept, wouldn't that make our experience of god real?
Not that I'm vouching for god's existance--it doesn't seem that there is one--but still...could someone explain this "God Helmet" to me in more detail?

As an afterthought...hasn't Richard Dawkins tried on the God Helmet, lol? I'd like to see a vid, if anyone would be so gracious to provide. Big Grin
RE: Brain Waves and God
Found the video where Richard Dawkins puts on the god helmet: http://current.com/items/88832741_richar...helmet.htm
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
Hilarious, "the cutting edge of neurotheology"

I've allways wondered what experiments they are running at the theology departments at universities under the flag of science.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(July 4, 2009 at 3:23 am)Overmars Wrote: Found the video where Richard Dawkins puts on the god helmet: http://current.com/items/88832741_richar...helmet.htm

D: the video won't work. Is there another link you could send me?
(July 4, 2009 at 11:40 am)obsessed_philosopher Wrote: the video won't work. Is there another link you could send me?

It worked for me ... maybe it's a country specific link?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_-txbHNyOY

[youtube]Y_-txbHNyOY[/youtube]
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(July 4, 2009 at 12:13 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(July 4, 2009 at 11:40 am)obsessed_philosopher Wrote: the video won't work. Is there another link you could send me?

It worked for me ... maybe it's a country specific link?

Kyu

Nah, my comp is just dumb. It won't play certain video player online--just youtube or windows media player. e_e
(July 4, 2009 at 1:16 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_-txbHNyOY

[youtube]Y_-txbHNyOY[/youtube]

Haha, that was funny! Dawkins isn't missing out on anything when he says "I'd have liked to know what it would feel like to experience what relgious people experience..."

But still...
Being that this can all be measured, some people being "more receptive" than most, would it then just be considered a placebo effect?
This "god helmet" thing seems complete bullshit to me, but I wonder what I would "experience" with that thingy on my head. Probably nothing.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
I'd be amazed if I did.

EvF
(July 3, 2009 at 7:04 pm)obsessed_philosopher Wrote: and so I wonder, if the part of our brain that is stimulated that is made us feel like there is an etherial presence in the room, therefore making it a measurable concept, wouldn't that make our experience of god real?

It would make the experience of a presence in the room real, but I can't see what that proves. It doesn't seem at all surprising to me that stimulating the brain in certain ways may produce particular sensations.

I don't think spiritual experiences are necessarily related to god anyway. I have had what I would call spiritual experiences, despite being an atheist. Usually they are in response to nature, but sometimes literature. They're just brainstorms, and no more mysterious or mystical than feeling nervous when I have a test.
"Books don't offer real escape but they can stop a mind scratching itself raw" - David Mitchell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1057 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 996 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 758 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The brain Drich 140 17411 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 515 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1799 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense Devout-Humanist 4 1052 October 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Pedophilia Brain Defect brewer 26 11433 June 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2257 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Brain with David Eagleman Mudhammam 4 1453 November 6, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan