Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If there is nothing after death how do we find out?
If there is nothing after death how do we find out?
How much evidence do we need to say that there is nothing after death? Do we have enough evidence now?

Cause there are many cunts who say that there is no other way of finding out other then dying. Well if you die and there is nothing you are not going to find out boohoo.
So what do you think?
RE: If there is nothing after death how do we find out?
Sure, whatever amount of evidence you personally require to make a decision yay or nay is enough evidence (for you). Others may criticize you for your decision, and so long as you are either able to A: competently support that yay or nay, B: accept criticism of that yay or nay, or C: Call it a "belief".......then I don't see the problem.

As far as whether or not we can say anything about an afterlife without dying..yeah, sure, why not? We may not be able to tell someone what an afterlife is, but we can sure as hell make a list of things it isn't.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yep. I'm happy to admit I have no evidence for it but my operational belief is that it is an absurd notion.
Re: If there is nothing after death how do we find out?
You don't "find out"

You will go back to being what you've been for the majority of the last 13.75 billion years. Do you remember what you were before you were born? No? Nor will you know anything after you die. Your atoms will exist forever, though. So you can look forward to being bits and bobs of all kinds of things, but you'll never know it.
Quote:Cause there are many cunts who say that there is no other way of finding out other then dying.

Ultimately, they are right. The light goes out and the xtians don't get to spend eternity kissing jesus' ass. But they will never know it which leaves them free to delude themselves whilst they live.
Corrie's, Julie Goodyear, has the answer you seek...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/3407...-a-seagull
I wish I could believe in an afterlife or reincarnation or something like that. Just wanting something doesn't make it happen, though, or else I would be a beautiful super model billionaire that cured cancer and ended world hunger.

I guess there's reason to believe, with any certainty, that there isn't an afterlife, either.

Truth is, nobody has ever gone into the afterlife and told us what happens. Sure, you get a few flawed stories here and there and they're generally easy enough to pick apart. For someone to say they know for a fact what happens after death is the height of arrogant stupidity.

Personally, I believe that our psychological existence is just gone, but I'm open minded to something else.
Quote: For someone to say they know for a fact what happens after death is the height of arrogant stupidity.

An affliction common among preacher-types.
We need no evidence to prove there is no afterlife. Affirming that an afterlife exists holds the burden of proof, so all that is needed is to debunk any evidence put forth. Considering the only evidence is personal testimony of experiences while the brain is deprived of oxygen, there's not even that much to debunk.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Here's how it must have happened, but on another time, another world:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXYvwEeWrm8

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1660 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 995 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Backlash after celebrities sing "Imagine" GGG 21 1983 June 22, 2020 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3023 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Everything & Nothing possibletarian 0 695 January 13, 2020 at 5:42 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Christian missionary becomes atheist after trying to convert tribe EgoDeath 40 4921 November 19, 2019 at 2:07 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Explaining What Happens After Death ArtVandelay 36 6712 April 1, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Life is nothing Mikeykitty123 78 12177 January 18, 2018 at 6:34 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  After An Atheist Dies Der/die AtheistIn 85 27945 July 31, 2017 at 1:09 am
Last Post: Dropship