Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Atheism +
Atheism +

George Carlin had a few things to say about "rebranding" and "buzzwords".

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atheism/432487440136597

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/2012/08/atheism/
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Atheism +
Interesting to know, but irrelevant to me. Label yourselves at will, I am an atheist because I don't believe in god claims [big fucking period].

And fuck PZ myers, Dawkins, Thunderf00t. They sold themselves along time ago.

That is all.
This probably says more about me than anything this topic mentions but when I read the article I couldn't help but think of negative or amusing things to put on the end;
"We're atheists plus white supremacists!"
"We're atheists plus hyperactive schizophrenics!"
"We're atheists plus I just took a huge dump on your front lawn!"

It made me laugh... well I say laugh. Often enough I just give a tired and half-hearted smile because "I'm an atheist plus an insomniac cynic!"
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Quote:We are…
Atheists plus we care about social justice,
Atheists plus we support women’s rights,
Atheists plus we protest racism,
Atheists plus we fight homophobia and transphobia,
Atheists plus we use critical thinking and skepticism.

I find it fucking stupid.

I'm going to start my own group, called Non-Golfer +

We are…
Non-Golfers plus we care about social justice,
Non-Golfers plus we support women’s rights,
Non-Golfers plus we protest racism,
Non-Golfers plus we fight homophobia and transphobia,
Non-Golfers plus we use critical thinking and skepticism.

Any takers? Yes! You too can join a completely unneeded and irrelevant group to identify yourself with!!
Quote from someone following:

Quote:BlagHag (is that a sexist name when I use it?) said "I know I’d love for people to start wearing A+ pins and Surlyramics so I know who I want to chat with."

My response:

Forgive me for pulling from an event that I don't like to use like a victim, but "my people" left Europe because others were making them wear symbols so everyone would know "who to talk to". I don't give a shit if you're putting some type of positive spin on your symbol wearing. It makes you a douchebag.
(August 25, 2012 at 9:20 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
Quote:We are…
Atheists plus we care about social justice,
Atheists plus we support women’s rights,
Atheists plus we protest racism,
Atheists plus we fight homophobia and transphobia,
Atheists plus we use critical thinking and skepticism.

I find it fucking stupid.

I'm going to start my own group, called Non-Golfer +

We are…
Non-Golfers plus we care about social justice,
Non-Golfers plus we support women’s rights,
Non-Golfers plus we protest racism,
Non-Golfers plus we fight homophobia and transphobia,
Non-Golfers plus we use critical thinking and skepticism.

Any takers?

To be fair Nap non-golfers don't have a negative reputation re-enforced by extremely empty vessels who release all manner of extraordinary noise of the zealously religious variety that attempts to demonise us. The point of the whole "plus" thing is to humanise us to the masses I think.
Now if you put "golfers plus", *then* your example would be valid as it is public opinion that most people who play golf as a serious past time are rich, stuffy, emotionless robots whos only pleasures aside from that rather dull "sport" are the expensive night-caps they have before they swiftly lose consciousnous and sink into a dreamless sleep and the brief moment before they realize the whole painfully boring process is finally over and their souless husk is left irrevocably barren as the loud, unceasing beep of the heart monitor resonates through out the private hospital they've spent their last moments in. Then the doctor pulls the plug and calls it...
Sorry, what were we talking about again?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Quote: Some real fire and brimstone from Dick Carrier:

"In the meantime, I call everyone now to pick sides (not in comments here, but publicly, via Facebook or other social media): are you with us, or with them; are you now a part of the Atheism+ movement, or at least cheer and approve it’s values and aims (since you don’t have to label yourself), or are you going to stick with Atheism Less and its sexism and cruelty and irrationality?"
That is fucking stupid! Black and white thinking? Really? They will end up proudly alone...
(August 25, 2012 at 9:32 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:
Quote: Some real fire and brimstone from Dick Carrier:

"In the meantime, I call everyone now to pick sides (not in comments here, but publicly, via Facebook or other social media): are you with us, or with them; are you now a part of the Atheism+ movement, or at least cheer and approve it’s values and aims (since you don’t have to label yourself), or are you going to stick with Atheism Less and its sexism and cruelty and irrationality?"

Now that is silly.
One saving grace of the stereotype we are burdened with is that we are seen by some as intelligent and laid back.
He should of played it as such.
- Abdul Alhazred.
I get tired by this world. Just so very, very very fucking tired.

People are hungry. People are being killed as witches. People are being pressed into slavery or military service. People are being killed for dishonoring their families. Children are mutilated in the name of religion. The environment is going to shit.

But JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DON'T LET SOME MAN ASK YOU FOR COFFEE IN AN ELEVATOR! DON'T HAND A WOMAN A SWINGERS CARD BECAUSE YOU FOUND HER ATTRACTIVE.

You prissy, first-world-problem-having idiots. Go marginalize yourself. I'm not wearing your goddamn "+" symbol just so you know who is "okay" to talk to. I'm going to treat everyone like their a fucking human being until they prove by their actions otherwise - not by what they're wearing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27108 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12145 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38078 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack