Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Free will and the Christian God
Free will and the Christian God
Free will, a beloved superstition, is an important concept to Christians because it justifies God condemning them to Hell.
You cannot have free will or God cannot be omniscient.
You have to choose between an apple an an orange. So if this all-knowing God knows you are going to pick the apple but you choose the orange you have just negated Gods omniscience. If you are unable to pick the orange then you have negated free will.
GodlessGirl
RE: Free will and the Christian God
(August 26, 2012 at 8:40 am)GodlessGirl Wrote: Free will, a beloved superstition, is an important concept to Christians because it justifies God condemning them to Hell.
You cannot have free will or God cannot be omniscient.
You have to choose between an apple an an orange. So if this all-knowing God knows you are going to pick the apple but you choose the orange you have just negated Gods omniscience. If you are unable to pick the orange then you have negated free will.

Hey, girl. Good to see a female participating, here! Are you thinking that God's omniscience is total, and so God's knowing the outcome of our choices predetermines that we have no freedom to choose otherwise?
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock
(August 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm)spockrates Wrote: Are you thinking that God's omniscience is total, and so God's knowing the outcome of our choices predetermines that we have no freedom to choose otherwise?

On a side note, I've always wondered why anyone insists on omni-anything from their god(s). From our point of view, how could we possibly know if such knew everything or just a helluva lot more than us .. or was omnipotent or just a helluva lot more powerful than us. Being the most good is perhaps the hardest to make sense of since context makes so much difference morally.

So long as theists insist on omni-everything, objections such as Godless Girl's will forever arise.
(August 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm)spockrates Wrote: Good to see a female participating, here

I know right! Like it doesn't fucking happen every day!

Oh wait. Dodgy
(August 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm)spockrates Wrote: Hey, girl. Good to see a female participating, here! Are you thinking that God's omniscience is total, and so God's knowing the outcome of our choices predetermines that we have no freedom to choose otherwise?

Omniscience is total, by definition, or it is not omniscience...Facepalm

And yes, Spock, it does. You may need to work on this, because you seem to be incapable of maintaining the integrity of the words "choice" or "omniscience" when you string them together.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm)spockrates Wrote: Hey, girl. Good to see a female participating, here!

Wait, what?! Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(August 26, 2012 at 8:40 am)GodlessGirl Wrote: Free will, a beloved superstition, is an important concept to Christians because it justifies God condemning them to Hell.

Free-will doesn't justify anyone getting eternally tortured. If an ultimately great being existed, he would be forbearing, forgiving, merciful, compassionate, and loving.

At the very least, people shouldn't get tortured for not believing in a religion or God, this even with the view, that "cosmic justice" must be implemented.

Free-will doesn't justifying hating people for their mistakes and errors. It doesn't justify torturing them for a wrong decision and their faults.
Perhaps this particular tyrant doesn't really give a shit about justification? Douches gotta douche.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 26, 2012 at 5:51 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Perhaps this particular tyrant doesn't really give a shit about justification? Douches gotta douche.

I think if a God did exist he wouldn't be concerned with human affairs.
GodlessGirl
(August 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm)GodlessGirl Wrote: I think if a God did exist he wouldn't be concerned with human affairs.

Well, if a god does exist, that certainly seems to be the case!
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 16635 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1546 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89546 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Similarities Between the Christian God and Abusive Spouses Jesster 18 3206 September 4, 2016 at 11:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I Have Proof the the Christian God Does Not and Cannot Eist Rhondazvous 89 14317 July 5, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The Christian God Does Violate Human Free Will Rhondazvous 85 10383 March 5, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The illusion of justice, sin and free will dyresand 17 4297 October 15, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  General questions about the Christian idea of God and love Mudhammam 148 26608 October 2, 2014 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The Cosmological Argument and Free Will Mudhammam 64 11485 September 19, 2014 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7440 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM