Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Approval of Female Clergy
Approval of Female Clergy
This is mostly for believers, if any will bother to respond, but anyone's input is welcome. I was thinking today about how some churches/religions permit female clergy and others do not. At some point in the past, none of them did. As women's rights became more of an issue, pressure grew, and church leaders prayed on the topic and some decided that female clergy was OK. So did god give different people different answers, or is this "proof" that some or all of them are not actually getting any answers back from god, since otherwise the answers would be consistent. How do believers resolve this? And for example, if a church next year decides to permit female clergy, does that suggest that somehow they are a lower priority in god's view, since apparently they're not getting answers as quickly from god as some others? Inquiring minds want to know.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
RE: Approval of Female Clergy
Supposedly, God gave the same answer to everyone and one side ignored what God "said" and followed their sinful hearts. So, the people allowing women clergy aren't listening to God according to the fundies and the fundies aren't listening to God according to the people allowing women clergy
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
so... the all knowing all powerful ultimate justice changed its mind?
(September 30, 2012 at 9:13 pm)Clever_Username Wrote: so... the all knowing all powerful ultimate justice changed its mind?

Nope, they just misheard him the first time. /sarcasm
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(September 30, 2012 at 8:20 pm)Tino Wrote: So did god give different people different answers, or is this "proof" that some or all of them are not actually getting any answers back from god, since otherwise the answers would be consistent. How do believers resolve this?

It's simple really ... they simply ignore it.
My father has been ignoring glaring contradictions for decades. People see what they want to see my friend. This is of course why Jesus in the one and only true son of god and why both Democrats and Republicans hold the moral high ground.

You see what you wish to see and you ignore that which does not fit into your chosen perception.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I think part of the issue is that the NT from what I remember is contradictory on the issue of women clergy. Some books say it's fine, some say it's bad.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(September 30, 2012 at 9:53 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I think part of the issue is that the NT from what I remember is contradictory on the issue of women clergy. Some books say it's fine, some say it's bad.

The problem with churches is that they don't see things like these as contradictions, they see them as choices (and they often err on the wrong side of the issue.)

John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10877 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Article about clergy who became atheists drfuzzy 38 9441 May 8, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Theology of Atheism: Do the clergy/theologians really believe? SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 6 2672 September 21, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Aractus
  What Happens When Clergy Lose Their Faith? thesummerqueen 14 3938 October 25, 2011 at 11:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger