Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help !! Doubts about Big Bang
Help !! Doubts about Big Bang
I have been reading some of the material about alternative (non-religious) theories of the cosmos and it's left me with doubts regarding the truth of the Big Bang or Standard Cosmological Model. Not being a scientist myself I cannot give an in depth critique of them, but the gist of it is :-

1) Big Bang requires 3 hypothetical entities, cosmic inflation, dark matter, and dark energy, to make it match observations.

2) The whole theory has evolved as the result of an interpretation of cosmic red shift as being caused by the doppler effect, when this has not been established beyond reasonable doubt, and there are other mechanisms that could explain it like the Compton effect.

3) There are alternatives which explain observations to some degree, like Modified Newtonian Dynamics or the plasma universe model which are not getting the attention they deserve because of the scientific hierarchy which discourages non-mainstream studies. (the mainstream being Big Bang)

These are not my views but the consensus of (non-religious) Big Bang doubters as far as I have been able to assess them.

My problem is that, whilst I have generally been happy to defer to the scientific experts in areas like evolution or geology, the notion that the "community" of scientific cosmologists is behave like a priesthood is in my brain and I can't shift it. It has got to the point where I cannot even read articles in, say, Scientific American that begin with an assumption that the Big Bang is cut and dried, signed sealed and delivered as the truth. In particular, the criticism of inflation, dark matter and dark energy as being ad-hoc work-arounds has struck home with me.

Pleae help !! I feel like a god-botherer who is having faith issues !!

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

RE: Help !! Doubts about Big Bang
The reason most but not all scientists like the Big Bang (as modified by inflation and dark matter/energy) model better than the alternatives is it fits the observations better, is used to make more accurate predictions, and raises fewer unanswered questions.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Its the most plausible theory from the information we have right now and it has its flaws.
There can be no certainty in regards to how the universe came to be with what we've currently got.
For now its just the theory with the most behind it, it is to be tested and observed but not taken as a certainty.

Infact its a huge mistake to put 100% certainty on anything as its always possible new evidence could come to light.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(October 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: The reason most but not all scientists like the Big Bang (as modified by inflation and dark matter/energy) model better than the alternatives is it fits the observations better, is used to make more accurate predictions, and raises fewer unanswered questions.

Yes but doubters would say it only fits observations because inflation, dark matter/energy have been invented with all the right parameters to make it fit. Dark energy violates one of the best-tested laws of physics the conservation of energy and matter, since it produces energy at a titanic rate out of nothing - that's quite an unanswered question.

Regards

Grimesy

(October 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: In fact its a huge mistake to put 100% certainty on anything as its always possible new evidence could come to light.

Yes I totally agree, but the Standard Model does seem to be at about 99%.

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

Yes but things like Plasma theory, VSL and variable gravity are inconsistent with general relativity and other observational evidence. More so than the Big Bang Model.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
I completely accept that it fits observations and makes successful predictions, more so than the alternatives so far, but it does seem to enjoy a similar status to the theory of evolution.
Whilst am happy to see evolution get 99% certainty of truth since all the evidence seems to support it and it does not have any equivalent to the inflation/dark matter/energy work arounds, the Big Bang does not feel as though it should to be given anywhere near the same accolade.

Apart from anything else, a different model of the universe may put a stop to those tiresome Cosmological Arguments for the existence of god. (Everything that starts to exist has a cause etc.)

Regards

Grimesy

(October 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm)pgrimes15 Wrote: Yes but doubters would say it only fits observations because inflation, dark matter/energy have been invented with all the right parameters to make it fit. Dark energy violates one of the best-tested laws of physics the conservation of energy and matter, since it produces energy at a titanic rate out of nothing - that's quite an unanswered question.

I too used to be of the opinion that dark matter/dark energy seemed to be too much of a convenient prop for the theory; it struck me as too much like the ad hoc 'epicycles' explanation for the discrepancies in the outer planets' orbits. However it appears that evidence for dark matter/energy has been observed - in the case of dark energy, directly:

http://www.astronomy.com/en/News-Observi...found.aspx

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news...background

http://www.space.com/17133-dark-matter-a...-rays.html

http://www.space.com/14176-dark-matter-b...eiled.html
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Big Bang Theory requires acceptance of super-inflation, which breaks the Theory of Relativity in that the universe expanded significantly faster than the speed of light.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(October 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm)pgrimes15 Wrote: 1) Big Bang requires 3 hypothetical entities, cosmic inflation, dark matter, and dark energy, to make it match observations.

No, big bang does not require any of those three things. Big bang simply need the universe to be seen expanding, that's it. If the universe so happen to not have symptomes of inflation, dark matter, and dark energy, it would still have more than enough to support the big bang.

It's like the hypothesis of "you have driven a car" does not require the additional hypothesis "your car had alloy wheels, convertible tops, and a Ford badge" to be true. The latter are refinement of the base hypothesis. But there is enough support for the base hypothesis to be taken to fundamentally true even if the refinement turnout to be flawed.

(October 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm)Polaris Wrote: Big Bang Theory requires acceptance of super-inflation, which breaks the Theory of Relativity in that the universe expanded significantly faster than the speed of light.

Please shut up. It is tiring to see you make a fool of yourself time and time again.
There is no "super-inflation"; there is only inflation. The actual Big Bang part is fairly well established; the CMB is direct evidence. That Special or General (I forget which) Relativity breaks down under such conditions is not only to be expected, it is even predicted by the Theory itself.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Big Bang happen? JairCrawford 50 3729 May 18, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Just When I Thought I Understood the Big Bang Rhondazvous 19 2533 January 23, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2479 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Big Bang and QM bennyboy 1 617 September 10, 2017 at 4:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How big is the universe? Rhondazvous 77 11944 August 1, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1600 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 656 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope
  The Science of the Big Bang RiddledWithFear 13 2303 December 7, 2016 at 10:47 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
Smile "Science of the Big Bang" Rough Draft and Secondary Draft RiddledWithFear 4 1658 December 6, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Is there a "Science of the Big Bang" thread on Here? RiddledWithFear 30 4290 December 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Alex K