Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I think i offended my friend when i asked about her beliefs
I think i offended my friend when i asked about her beliefs
Okay, so I'm a guy.

Recently, I've been really into reading and hearing about religion thoughts and arguments, and i tend to disagree with all their claims.

You can say I'm an agnostic, I don't believe there is a magic man in the sky, however I cannot say for certain. I'm just saying based on the evidence provided, there is no proof and therefore it is unlikely. But I am open to new ideas and evidence or discoveries regarding the existence of god if there were any with logical, reasonable, discussed, legitimate proof.

What bugs me is when Christians make such bold statements such as...

The Earth was created by god
God created the universe
The Earth is 6000 years old and Universe is 10000 years old.

These type of stuff, bugs me because there's no proof and all the scientific discoveries, facts regarding the age of the earth points to an earth that is vastly older than 6000 years old. I tend to get defensive about this, because I don't like people making facts of such certainty without evidence.

I don't mind if someone says, I believe the earth was created by god. I mean that's all on you, if you want to believe it fine. Don't enforce it on society. But to say that the Earth WAS created by god. instead of I BELIEVE. That puts me on edge. You get me? Don't make such a statement with such certainty without proof.

Now to my situation

I linked an post to my friend whom I've known for awhile and she is one of my closest friends.

The post i linked was about this test this girl did and her father took a picture. The question was, Who created the Earth. Here is the link http://9gag.com/gag/5654104

I linked this to her, and i said i liked that girl. Then she replied to me " But god did create the Earth "

Without hesitation I replied " Are you serious "

I didn't know at the time because judging from her perspective of life, i would have never guessed she was Christian. She doesn't really like talking about her beliefs much, so i didn't know for certain what she believed in. However judging from our conversations, i would have guessed she was agnostic like me.

I then proceeded in asking her about her beliefs, and asked her to give me her reasons as to why she believed in it. She got offended and wanted to stop talking about it. She was like " God did create the earth and us, and Jesus was definitely a real person. This type of bold statements really make me question humanity's curiosity. I wanted to know WHY they believe in X given the reason. However she didn't give me an sufficient answer that answered my question so I stopped asking and continued talking about something else.

The next day, I spoke to her friend whom I speak to regularly through the internet as we aren't very close in real life and we tend to agree on everything. I told her about the situation and what happened. Then she gave me her perspective and i respected it because it actually made sense. Forgive me if i sound like I'm mocking any of you. We then proceeded to talking about religion and our personal opinions and beliefs. After agreeing that Science is amazing and is progressive and is capable of many amazing things. We got all fired up and linked stuff about science and how amazing science really is and that science makes god unnecessary. Causing us to ( forgive me ) look down on religion. She convinced me to "Convert her" Yes that was what happened and I actually agreed.

Now i realize that everybody is entitled to their own opinions and they have their right to do so. However I personally believe that they should all give reasons as to why they believe in X. Such as, it helps me to be a better person. That's fine I fully respect that. However, don't force your unsupported claims without evidence on society.

The following night, I spoke to my best friend again ( first girl ), and I wanted to talk to her about her beliefs. However, I engaged her wrongly in the wrong manner. I was too upfront and I think she felt like she was mocked. My intention was to show her how amazing science is and what she is missing out on and without mentioning it, disprove her statement " God created the earth ". She doesn't seem to be interested in my opinion and to her, what she believed in is what she believes in no matter what. I regretfully said things that I shouldn't have said. Such as,

If you want to believe it then it's all on you. but to me, i care about what is true or not and you stating such a bold statement. no offense, i find people like that thick headed.

Halfway through the conversation I realized my mistake and apologized and gave her MY personal reason as to why I asked. Refer to above. Not only this, I have respectfully said that I totally respect her opinion and I was sorry for questioning. I did not know that she would take this so seriously, I know this is an sensitive topic, however I like to hear other people's thoughts. She was very sensitive about this. Even though she said it herself, she doesn't follow Christianity and only believes in some of it.

She forgives me because we're such good friends.

The following day, the friend I spoke to about science texts me and said the best friend was pissed at school and talked to her friends whom i also know about what I did. She then showed everyone the conversation and they had a religion vs. science battle. Surprisingly, they agreed with the fact that " God did create the Earth & Maybe god did create the big bang ". Now keep in mind the friend I spoke to is also their friend. However my best friend doesn't know I spoke to her about it. So my friend remained silent. I feel really bad at this point, I made my best friend upset.
What do I do? She has forgiven me, but she continued in talking to her friends about it?
RE: I think i offended my friend when i asked about her beliefs
In my experience, there's no better armour for a person than friends who've closed ranks around them. I don't wish to depress you further but you have no control over what her friends may talk to her about when not in your presence. If your friendship is as strong as you allude, then it ought to be strong enough to withstand the odd bit ot friction, though it may be bruised right now.

Unfortunately, some people just aren't going to be swayed by facts. The Earth and the Universe are vastly older than six thousand years, indeed to my knowledge even that big book of multiple choice, the bible, only seems to support that young age as a result of adding up all those begats. Other than that, I don't think the conclusion can be drawn, at least safely, that the Universe was made around the time that humans discovered beer.

Since your friend is the one making these pretty bold claims, or perhaps regurgitating them is a better way to put it, then she has the burden of substantiating them. Of course she's going to turn to her holy book for support, a shaky foundation at best.

Perhaps you could speak to her about my earlier point about the strength of your friendship, maybe even pointing out that if her faith in her beliefs is equally as strong, then it too shouldn't be affected by anything you may say against it? Certainly not facts, anyway. It all depends how you feel you should play this, how confrontational you're comfortable with being. Good luck.

Oh, and the girl who took that test in the picture would still have failed. The Earth wasn't created by any sort of big bang, except inasmuch as the Big Bang provided the conditions which would later give rise to the Earth's formation. Subtle but crucial difference.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: I think i offended my friend when i asked about her beliefs
When people talk to me about religion here

I just node my head ( yes ) and that's all

Regards
You're a Drop in The Rain ... Just a Number not a Name
and You won't see It ... You don't believe It
at The End of The Day ... You're a Needle in The Hay
You signed and sealed It ... and Now You gotta deal with It

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1203 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15623 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Sister asked me to be 'God father' to her son Tomatoshadow2 60 4163 January 24, 2021 at 7:04 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Atheists being asked about the existence of Jesus Der/die AtheistIn 154 17261 January 24, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A conversation with a friend. Alternatehistory95 8 1585 January 21, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7044 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4475 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  An Intersting conversation I had with a Creationist friend of mine. TanithDaUnicorn 39 5876 February 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Beliefs, Significant Others and Compromises Bob Kelso 20 4889 September 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I Wanted to Punch Her in the Face lezbehonest 48 7395 January 7, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: psychoslice