Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Intersting conversation I had with a Creationist friend of mine.
An Intersting conversation I had with a Creationist friend of mine.
Me, "What is your view on Evolution?"

Him, "A scientific theory that has yet to be proven" *Long pause* "since it suggests the gaining of genetic information, while the only thing we have ever seen is loss"

Me, "And Creationism?"

Him, "Again, a theory that has yet to be soundly proven or disproven, but each have enough ground to take sides"

Obviously he is dumb but what arguments do you suggest I use to counter this? I am not that fluent in evolution, so could someone point out the flaws in his argument? Thanks
RE: An Intersting conversation I had with a Creationist friend of mine.
Ah, the old "information" schpiel, never get tired of that one. I don't believe I've ever heard a creationist define what 'information' is or how one adds or subtracts it.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
I've heard the "gaining/losing genetic information" argument. I'm not sure why people think you can't gain genetic information. Everything that exists is made out of mostly the same stuff, so anything that's capable of consuming is capable of adding to itsself.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

He is truly a wacko.

"there is no observational evidence, meaning no fossil record evidence, no current happenings. nothing"

"The fossil record supports evolution, but okay."

"Wrong" " the fossil record shows a loss of genetic information, not a gain"
Get him to define information.
Basically his argument is "we never see new genes being created, we only see them being eliminated through natural selection"
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD-Qo31O-sKhV-WERivVe...lzekFsRKcw]
Then your friends "argument" is no such thing, and is instead an ignorance or distortion of fact. Fact, you will not die the same person you were born, genetically speaking. Fact, when you were born, you were not an identical copy of -either- of your parents, in part or in full. Fact, your children will be genetically distinct from you just as you are genetically distinct from your parents.

Fiction, we see nothing new.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Evolution is a scientific theory, while creationism is not; you should point out the difference to your friend.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Your friend is just tossing around arguments he heard on creationist websites, without understanding of what they mean.

And more importantly, without understanding why they are just flat our wrong.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1954 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3201 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  A conversation with a friend. Alternatehistory95 8 1586 January 21, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 16627 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Atheist Conversation ShirkahnW 4 961 March 11, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Never had that happen before Astonished 6 2515 August 11, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Creationist Moral Panic Amarok 15 5622 June 13, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How not to start a conversation with a skeptic...I think Astonished 43 8715 February 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 16582 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12710 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K