Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphic Depiction of Torture - the Crucifix
Graphic Depiction of Torture - the Crucifix
A while back I read an article about the shock experienced by Europeans who found graphic depictions of torture "ornamenting" everyday objects used by the Aztec natives in America and how gruesome that civilization apeared to them. But hey: when you think about it, there is another civilization where people put graphic depictions of torture over their doors, hang them as pendants on their mirror in their cars or even on their neck. It is OUR civilization.

We got so used to it that we do not even notice or think about it. But really: a man dying in course of gruesome torture (on the cross)... hanging as a pendant from a young girl's neck? Same depiction... placed in front of a huge building (church) in the city center? Same thing on top of a stick held by the pope? I mean really...

When we are about to see graphic images on the evening news, viewer discretion is advised etc. But even small children are exposed to 3d depictions of a man dying from torture on the cross! Is this a bit crazy or what?

Such depictions are surely mentally disturbing. Furthermore, they appear to have deeper significance - they are constantly showing us another human being suffering and are trying to talk us into thinking that THIS is what life is about. That life is about suffering, that it SHOULD suck. Sure it does sometimes, but is THIS what we WANT? What if everybody wore pendants showing men hanged by their feet and disemboweled or men hanged by their neck or men in electric chairs? Don't you find this a bit... sick?
RE: Graphic Depiction of Torture - the Crucifix
Like Bill Hicks said, "You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fucking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm)Ciel_Rouge Wrote: A while back I read an article about the shock experienced by Europeans who found graphic depictions of torture "ornamenting" everyday objects used by the Aztec natives in America and how gruesome that civilization apeared to them. But hey: when you think about it, there is another civilization where people put graphic depictions of torture over their doors, hang them as pendants on their mirror in their cars or even on their neck. It is OUR civilization.

We got so used to it that we do not even notice or think about it. But really: a man dying in course of gruesome torture (on the cross)... hanging as a pendant from a young girl's neck? Same depiction... placed in front of a huge building (church) in the city center? Same thing on top of a stick held by the pope? I mean really...

When we are about to see graphic images on the evening news, viewer discretion is advised etc. But even small children are exposed to 3d depictions of a man dying from torture on the cross! Is this a bit crazy or what?

Such depictions are surely mentally disturbing. Furthermore, they appear to have deeper significance - they are constantly showing us another human being suffering and are trying to talk us into thinking that THIS is what life is about. That life is about suffering, that it SHOULD suck. Sure it does sometimes, but is THIS what we WANT? What if everybody wore pendants showing men hanged by their feet and disemboweled or men hanged by their neck or men in electric chairs? Don't you find this a bit... sick?

Jerkoff
Yes, we all know this sort of thing turns you on, Drich. The question is, do you have anything constructive to say?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Bombarding you with the crucifix is purposefully meant to be a reminder of torture. It's supposed to make you feel guilty.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
about what? the hyprocisy of this post? No, the emoticon dipicts what I think fairly accuratly. Otherwise i would have to spend time establishing that this person is Of the westen culture of movies and violence and then would have to listen to him defend why movie/video game violence is ok, but a 1" by1/2" cross worn around the neck of the faithful is offensive. Then i would be inclined to show this persons bigotted response as just another attempt to censor religion. Then I noticed that he is the same d-bag who was upset that their are laws preventing men of his age having sex with tweens, and even younger childern... so no, i do not have anything to add, because it would be a waist of time on this person, because defending this dipiction of love to a man like this would be lost... as is any picture of love that doesnot involve his penis and a small child.
http://atheistforums.org/post-340733.html#pid340733

This ______ wants to Censor freedom of religion, but allow 20 or 30 somethings to have sex with preteens and small children.. we are commanded to not throw our pearls of wisdom before swine. so again no, their is nothing more to say to him. This is the utilmate goal of 'morality.' To justify what one likes and to villify what one is apposed to with absolutly no accountablity or reasoning behind it.
Poor Drippy.....so indoctrinated he can't see at all.

[Image: sophisticated-religion.jpg]
Oh my Confused Fall

The Xtians talk about love all the time but I really love ;-) it when they suddenly have those spikes of "intense pitchfork-waving hatred mode".

And even though Drich is referring to me as "this _____" and refuses to normally participate in the discussion, I will still comment on his points.

(November 5, 2012 at 11:30 pm)Drich Wrote: Otherwise i would have to spend time establishing that this person is Of the westen culture of movies and violence and then would have to listen to him defend why movie/video game violence is ok, but a 1" by1/2" cross worn around the neck of the faithful is offensive.

Movie/video game violence is NOT OK. And it is particularly not OK when little children are exposed to it. If I had children, I would not expose them to this shit. But I know a lot of Xtians do. In an internet cafe I once saw a girl about 5 or 7 who started playing a game and smashed her enemies' brains out with some kind of riffle. Her parents were present and to them it was perfectly OK. Needless to say, it happened in a very religious country and the parents happened to be Orthodox Xtians. I do not understand why you like hatred and violence so much. I even tend to think that "the western culture of movies and violence" is somehow indirectly supported and indirectly originates from the "culture of crosses".

And yes, the crucifix IS offensive. If a faihtful one wants to display a symbol of their faith, why not the Xtian fish, the face of Christ or whatever? Why does it have to be a depiction of torture or the tool of torture? If you wish to commemorate what Christ did, why not wear something else? If for example I wanted to commemorate a person who sacrificed oneself for someone else and died in a crash or something, I would not do it by displaying photos of this person's guts and brains lying around the car would I?

So a graphic depiction of torture or a less graphic but still disturbing depiction of a tool of torture is the symbol of love... You are so twisted... I see Christianity loves twisting things like that - torture is love, hate is good etc.

(November 5, 2012 at 11:30 pm)Drich Wrote: Then i would be inclined to show this persons bigotted response as just another attempt to censor religion.

That was really a good one. A religion known for censorship, book-burning and even people-burning that always repressed free thought suddenly becomes the one who is being opressed. Nope sir, your crosses are everywhere and they are dripping with blood, not only Christ's blood. Nobody attempts to "censor" them. But I do not wish to be bombarded with graphic imagery of torture of any kind. Period.

(November 5, 2012 at 11:30 pm)Drich Wrote: This is the utilmate goal of 'morality.' To justify what one likes and to villify what one is apposed to with absolutly no accountablity or reasoning behind it.

I suppose this is some kind of a very well known rhetoric trick used by the Xtians - allocating one's own methods to your adversary. What you described is exactly what you Xtians are doing. You do not give any reasoning behind your religious views. I on the other hand was willing to show argumentation against depictions of dying men hanging from little chidlrens' necks. Why not a depiction of Christ when he was alive or ascended? Why does it have to be a dying Christ? Because the church wants to scare people into submission, it wants to show us humans that we are weak and therefore should be afraid. I am afraid. I am afraid of people who offend me with imagery of violence and suddenly have a fit of anger when I ask them to explain.
I personally don't like the image of the cross as a depiction of Christianity. I don't like it because we celebrate the resurrection of Christ, not the crucifixion of Christ. The method of his execution is irrelevant, he would still be the same Saviour whether he died on the gallows or in front of a firing squad.
(November 6, 2012 at 3:36 am)Daniel Wrote: I personally don't like the image of the cross as a depiction of Christianity. I don't like it because we celebrate the resurrection of Christ, not the crucifixion of Christ. The method of his execution is irrelevant, he would still be the same Saviour whether he died on the gallows or in front of a firing squad.

But a firing squad would be harder to hang around your neck.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three Ways to Torture Demons You Haven't Heard of Yet JesusHChrist 15 4876 February 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christians celebrate rape, torture, slavery and genocide. Ryantology 351 206430 November 22, 2012 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Darth
  Question: How accurate is the information on this graphic? Ziploc Surprise 67 20405 June 25, 2012 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is purposeless torture moral? Greatest I am 82 34597 April 22, 2012 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Godscreated