Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is purposeless torture moral?

Most governments seem to believe that torture is an immoral and evil thing and most do not have what we would call a torture chambers. Let’s ignore Guantanamo Bay and other exceptions please.

Religions do not seem to agree with this because religions promise a place of torture for evil souls and some believers will even drop a church that preaches that there is no hell. It seems that some believers want badly that there be this place of purposeless torture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_rmQuagpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baGwwma5V...ure=relmfu

Hell is a place of purposeless torture and pain. It is used purely for revenge retribution and cruelty.

Some say we choose hell and some think that God, as our judge, sentences us to it. Some think it is eternal while some think that it and its occupants are eventually dumped into a lake of fire and destroyed. A long period of torture to some and a short term of torture to others.

From a moral standpoint, to even create such a place would not be moral.

Is it moral for God to use or let others choose to use his torture chamber called hell or the lake of fire?

Regards
DL

RE: Is purposeless torture moral?
"God" isn't doing anything at all. When it comes to lakes of fire, torture, and retribution from beyond the grave we're talking human beings, human desires, human urges, and human claims. What is or is not "moral" is entirely up for grabs.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Hell is the "stick" part of the "carrot and stick" appeal of christianity, nothing more than a crude attempt to manipulate the weak minded.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

If its gods will, it cannot be immoral is probably the argument.

Which means human morality and divine don't match, in which case we have a nasty case of wtf are you worshipping then.

I'm telling ya, Lucifer ran a con, the snake was the benevolent god helping adam and eve escape eden.
It makes more sense if you start reversing roles,
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Is purposeful torture moral?

(The Dick Cheney Book of Xtian Morality apparently thinks so.)
I see the monotheistic god as having the mentality of "Piss me off and I will beat the shit out of you, forever. But if you do exactly what I say everything will be okay." Sounds more like a hostage situation to me.
Anyone who supports eternal torture is a pathetic waste of flesh, in my opinion. Believing in such madness would make my mornings insanely depressing.
[Image: YAYBOOMAVAtAR1_zpse61010be.gif]
The feeble mind will pray to god, the feeble mind will fall.
Greatest I am Wrote:Is it moral for God to use or let others choose to use his torture chamber called hell or the lake of fire?

Of course not, but Christians have their mental gymnastics to get around it. You see, rather than judge god on his actions they just declare him to be pure good, therefore no matter how horrible of an atrocity god commits, it must be good.

At least the Greeks were smart enough to see that if there was a god(s) he/she/they had to be malevolent on some level.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
If I was god I'd enforce a JUST system where finite crimes deserve finite punishment in Hell, and then gradual rehabilitation through Limbo or wherever to Heaven. After they've done the time, and the victim(s) of their actions has enjoyed paradise for awhile, then there's no reason or justification to be angry with the offender any more. Its all about restoring them after that. There wouldn't be anyone left in Hell after several hundred years or so with me in charge, reminds me of the line from Eraser:

"If God was as forgiving as WITSEC hell would be one empty joint."

But alas, theists believe in a cosmic cretin of similar intellect. Tongue Infinite punishment is not a real amount or duration of punishment anyway. It can't be reached, therefore, justice also cannot be achieved.

(April 12, 2012 at 12:35 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: Some think it is eternal while some think that it and its occupants are eventually dumped into a lake of fire and destroyed.
Isn't that asinine of them to think that though? What's the point of resurrecting the damned from oblivion, only to send them straight back to oblivion?

Religious dogma isn't just full of convoluted crap, its just plain silly. Big Grin
Please show me were you find the word torture in scripture, if you can not then please drop the subject, this subject has been posted to death.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 546 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29268 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7374 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Why is Faith/Belief a Moral Issue? Rhondazvous 120 25400 August 21, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Recap - A moral question for theists dyresand 39 7320 July 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  A moral and ethical question for theists dyresand 131 17616 July 15, 2015 at 7:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is There a Point To Living a Moral Life? ronedee 323 124390 July 14, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  How can a book that tells you how to treat slaves possibly be valid moral guide là bạn điên 43 12016 July 11, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Three Ways to Torture Demons You Haven't Heard of Yet JesusHChrist 15 4875 February 16, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why should Christians be moral? Lemonvariable72 66 16237 December 18, 2014 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless