Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you deal with fundamentalist inlaws?
How do you deal with fundamentalist inlaws?
So, in one week, my boyfriend and I are going to the Ren Faire. Yay! Big Grin

One scary tid-bit about it, though: his mom is taking care of the tickets. I'm sure his mom is a nice enough person over all, but she's also a Mormon fundamentalist and that scares the shit out of me. D:

I think they suspect that he's into women, and they know I'm trans; I don't know if that will make the more or less accepting of Lee and I being together (because, if they're convinced I'm a man no matter what I do or say, then they can look at our relationship as being straight). He tried being straight and settling for dating a male crossdresser before me and I'm not sure how that will play into things; his ex was a monster (to put it lightly) but once is sisters got to see me a little, they told the rest of the family that I'm nice enough; and much better than his ex. I don't think they have a clue that he's trans and it's going to be really tricky for me to switch to female pronouns and use his 'before' name around them, but I think I can do it; I've made the swich before.

Any advice or suggestions or ideas on how to handle things?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: How do you deal with fundamentalist inlaws?
Dear Tara,

I hope that she/they will just accept you for who you are.
You seem a very nice intelligent person so your personality doesn't seem to be the problem here.
But if religion spoils how your inlaws feel about you and your relationship than i think you have a huge problem, one can not reason with ppl who adopt that kind of disrespect.

I really hope everything will work out for you guys.
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais
Fundy mormons are near impossiable to reason or speak with, (which is why I am alittle relieved Romney did not get the big chair.) Maybe you have judged these people too quickly, and maybe they are not the fundies you made them out to be. Otherwise know you are litterally taking from their after life by 'corrupting their son.' According to the magic gold plates that only Joseph smith could see or read.
They think Mitt Romney isn't conservative enough, that Michele Machmann and Sarah Palin make a lot of sense, that demons and ghosts actually exist. They believe that a woman's place is being at home, barefoot and pregnant, and they believe that overpopulation is a myth and that they should try to have as many children as they can (he has 5 brothers and sisters). They used to believe that homosexuals are demonically possessed but since meeting a homosexual (his mom had a lesbian boss), they now think that homosexuals can be otherwise nice people, but that some kind of childhood trauma turns them gay. Kinda scary, y'know? I mean, he once tried wearing a cheap, home-made binder around the house and his mom screamed and yelled at him to get it off and that he's somehow being corrupted. He got screamed at for dying his hair an unnatural color (purple, I believe) even though it was temporary. The only news source they listen to is Faux News and Rush Limbaugh, they make a point to watch Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck. Yeah, honestly, they have all the hallmarks of a religious fundamentalists.

I'm scared now.

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I'm confused. What sex is the person you're romantically involved with?
(November 11, 2012 at 10:57 pm)Gilgamesh Wrote: I'm confused. What sex is the person you're romantically involved with?

My partner is a F2M transsexual; he was born into a female body, he despises being a girl and he wants to (will) change over to male one of these days. I consider him a young man, but his family all think of him as a girl.

(November 11, 2012 at 10:49 pm)TaraJo Wrote: They think Mitt Romney isn't conservative enough,
whoa.

Quote:that Michele Machmann and Sarah Palin make a lot of sense, that demons and ghosts actually exist. They believe that a woman's place is being at home, barefoot and pregnant, and they believe that overpopulation is a myth and that they should try to have as many children as they can (he has 5 brothers and sisters).
So they can populate their very own planet with their offspring, which is what is going to make you to be a curse on their family. (because you are literally taking the son of a 'god' out of the 'god's' afterlife.

Quote:They used to believe that homosexuals are demonically possessed but since meeting a homosexual (his mom had a lesbian boss), they now think that homosexuals can be otherwise nice people, but that some kind of childhood trauma turns them gay. Kinda scary, y'know? I mean, he once tried wearing a cheap, home-made binder around the house and his mom screamed and yelled at him to get it off and that he's somehow being corrupted. He got screamed at for dying his hair an unnatural color (purple, I believe) even though it was temporary. The only news source they listen to is Faux News and Rush Limbaugh, they make a point to watch Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck. Yeah, honestly, they have all the hallmarks of a religious fundamentalists.

I'm scared now.
They just sound like devoute mormons to me.

Also, far be it from me to tell you how to run your life, but...

Given your gender whatever you want to call it, and more importantly his history of doing things his parents freak out about, and the fact that he is taking you to see them... To me it sounds like he is trying to get mommy and daddy to make a fuss over him. IF this is the case know he will Gladly sacerfice you to them to get the attention he wants from them. Again, Not trying to tell you boo, just ask yourself why would this person want you to go see his parents IF he knows they will not approve, and most likly disapprove in a very vocal way? Who is being tested here Your loyality to him or their loyality to him? And, do you really want to be apart of all of that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lyle Jeffs, Fundamentalist Mormon Breeding Colony Finance Wizard ARRESTED !!! vorlon13 6 2200 June 17, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4892 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  What do non-fundamentalist Christians actually believe? Fromper 66 24445 June 30, 2016 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  a brilliant description of growing up fundamentalist female drfuzzy 12 3578 March 4, 2016 at 9:09 am
Last Post: robvalue
  fundamentalist idea of hell drfuzzy 34 8065 August 27, 2015 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Drich
  Non-fundamentalist apologetics is about obfuscation RobbyPants 6 2160 May 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  How do you deal with street preachers? atheist04330 25 3957 July 12, 2014 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Natachan
  Fundamentalist christian group to refuse accept any post with Harvey Milk Stamp on. downbeatplumb 79 19498 June 3, 2014 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18329 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Why is the pope such a big deal? Science it works 25 8529 August 13, 2013 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist