Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiencing 'proof'
Experiencing 'proof'
In my last few thread their have been those who would mock experience as any type of validation of God, or they mock the idea that anyone could have experienced anything differently than what their 'efforts' have yielded.

If this were an accurate way to assess experience then those with years of practical real world experience would make no greater impact as an employee as someone fresh out of school. Experience can be an asset or it can be a hindrance depending on how it is used. Personal work experience, like personal God experience does not generally transfer from person to person. (I can not pass my 22 years of work history over to the new guy and have him be able to produce what i produce, like wise I can not simply share what God has done for me and it mean the same thing to you.) God does this by design. In that if we had absolute proof of God we would have no other choice but to bow down and worship Him. God has given us the freedom to make decide for ourselves whether or not we want anything to do with Him or not. In order for Him to do this we had to have a way to know God as deeply as our understanding would allow, but at the same time also allow those who did not want to know God the freedom to deny Him.

Which is why I say, if my experiences of God matched what many of you claimed to have found, then i would most likely have the same take on God as you have. God has done some pretty extraordinary things in my life, and he continues to do so. But it was not always like this. I had to learn to submit myself to God in order to see and hear what He has done for me. i say that because looking back, even when I was not a believer, I dismissed everything God has done for me to some sort of observable phenomena.
Just because we can put a name on the process which God has used does not mean God can not use that process. Remember The God of the bible is the God of the Natural universe, so it is only natural that He use the processes (Science) He created to accomplish what He sets out to do. That said God is not bound by these processes. He can circumvent them if He wishes to do so, but at the same time is not bound by some sort 'magic clause.'

The Idea of a magic/mystical God came out of the dark ages. Where God by decree of the pope God Had to be completely unknowable by everyone but the church/pope. The fact of the matter is He is not unknowable, infact He goes through great lengths, so we can infact know God. That is why I harp on Luke 11 and A/S/K so much. God literally offers to come and work in your life, and show you the 'proof' YOU need to establish a solid faith. However their is a catch. You have to do things his way, and if you want these experiences to increase you have to be faithful to what he has shown you already.

Meaning If God shows you a deal breaking sin in your life that is keeping Him from fully working with you, and you do nothing about it then know, that the 'guilt' you feel is all you will ever know of the Holy Spirit. Now, if you are faithful to what He has shown you and you continue to a/s/k then you will be given More to work with. God will take whatever you put into this relationship and turn over 10 fold, if you take the 10 He will inturn multiply that blessing 10 more times. God has no upper limit, so whatever you experience is only limited by what you are willing to give of yourself.
RE: Experiencing 'proof'
Your experience is your experience. Some experiences are unverifiable, like dreams you had. Some are verifiable, like skills you can demonstrate. Not all experiences are the same. Being skeptical of one kind of experience doesn't mean you dismiss all types of experience.
(November 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm)Drich Wrote: In my last few thread their have been those who would mock experience as any type of validation of God, or they mock the idea that anyone could have experienced anything differently than what their 'efforts' have yielded.

So what experience to validate the existence of your god, which can be objectively observed did you offer?

about the rest of the post:

(November 14, 2012 at 2:37 pm)Drich Wrote: Which is why I say, if my experiences of God matched what many of you claimed to have found, then i would most likely have the same take on God as you have. God has done some pretty extraordinary things in my life, and he continues to do so. But it was not always like this. I had to learn to submit myself to God in order to see and hear what He has done for me. i say that because looking back, even when I was not a believer, I dismissed everything God has done for me to some sort of observable phenomena.
Just because we can put a name on the process which God has used does not mean God can not use that process. Remember The God of the bible is the God of the Natural universe, so it is only natural that He use the processes (Science) He created to accomplish what He sets out to do. That said God is not bound by these processes. He can circumvent them if He wishes to do so, but at the same time is not bound by some sort 'magic clause.'

Oh no, not this again. This claim is completely unfalsifiable, and has no evidence to support it. I could just as easily, and with the same level of credibility, claim that we are all brains in jars being run through a simulation by aliens. Would you like to know "what many of you [us] have claimed to have found"? Absolutely nothing. An angry pseudo-atheist sees god in a dream, and this is proof that new atheists who want gd to exist, desperately searching for him, begging him to exist, and end up finding nothing were all insincere?
I started reading this, then my brain inserted the teacher's voice from the Charlie Brown cartoons... Wah wah, wah wah wah wah...
Drich, the problem with your experience is that it is far-fetched baloney. Would you just take the word of a person who said they saw a ghost or a vision of god saying that people should turn away from religion? What if I told you I had a vision of the beginning of the universe and there was no creator? Would you just take my word for it? Probably not. Why? Because I'm clearly either looking too deeply into things or I'm an outright liar. Only you know which applies to you.
'Banner at the top of the pag Wrote:Drich
Show this Post
The contents of this message are hidden because Drich is on your ignore list.

Eh, no; I can still see Drich's posts when someone quotes him.

I would understand if I didn't see the things God did in my life, but I can't even see the things he has done in the lives of those who claim to have a relationship with him. It's like watching someone else trip on acid. They tell you all this crazy and amazing shit is happening, but all you see is some eejit waving their hands about and saying "woo" over and over. It's also like, "look at me, I'm special so I have all these great experiences that you can't see, test or verify, but you're the irrational one for not taking my word for it." I know this much, though, God still hasn't stepped up to the challenge of making an amputated limb grow back. Sure, he can make Drich dream himself into hell and have all these extraordinary things happen to him, but he can't or won't heal an amputee. I want to believe you, Drich, really I do, but your God's powers are conveniently all based on non-verifiable experiences.
I like the fact that Drich's post show up. The experience of reading it proves to me my unassailable superiority over at least some of the animals that are nominally said to be intelligent.

Without the likes of him, I would begin to question whether I am in anyway distinguished by my perception, rationality and intelligence.

ROFLOL
Reading this did give me a boost of my self-esteem.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:In my last few thread their have been those who would mock experience as any type of validation of God

Right. For all we know you are batshit crazy. The evidence thusfar leans heavily in that direction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My experiencing rooming with a Christian EgoDeath 26 3876 October 21, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath