Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 9:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rik Mayall
Rik Mayall
"I think the best comedians share the philosophical vision expressed in this play (Waiting for Godot). "They give birth astride of a grave..." — that's why you get into comedy — because you have that vision of life, that desperation, and you are telling jokes to avoid thinking about death... If you have no religion and you know you're going to die, you know they'll be nothing else, and you try somehow to avoid that truth... That's what Vladimir and Estragon are doing — passing the time so they don't have to hear all the dead voices." - Rik Mayall - The Independent, September 22, 1991.

I really admire Rik Mayall and I also find it interesting how you can have no religion and therefore not fear death - for the reasons of hell - but still fear death simply because you want to live. I myself also have this fear occasionally because I want to live; not so much anymore because I don't see why I would anymore; and I no long feel it to such an extent that the fear of death makes me feel empty - as it did before - a sort of cold dread. - This dread appears to be what Rik Mayall's describing. I guess I've only ever personally feared death in the past because I want to live much longer than it's currently humanly possible; even forever if I didn't ever get overly bored, distressed (mentally or physically) or lonely. I am now however inspired by what Dawkins said; The improbability of your existence should make you feel grateful; and because you only have one life of limited time, that means you can make the most of it and enjoy it fully.

I have edited this post.... before it contained more Rik Mayall quotes but I realised that even though I'm pretty damn sure he's an atheist...the other quotes themselves didn't really relate particularly to atheism itself. Maybe I should post the others in the off-topic forum?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rik Mayall, 'Kevin Turvey'. Edwardo Piet 2 2117 May 26, 2009 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Rik Mayall - Poetry Edwardo Piet 2 2978 December 31, 2008 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet