Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello everyone.
Hello everyone.
So this is technically my 2nd post. Doing a little research, I wouldn't classify my first post as spam or advertising in a strict sense, since it wasn't promoting a product/service. But it was soliciting help in a project. So in a sense, I can see how it appears as an ad. So there's a 30/30 (days/posts) rule to overcome such posts. I don't quite know what the extent of my presence will be here. But I'll certainly make a better effort to introduce myself, at any rate.

I've been interested in religion to an extent, and atheism to a much larger extent, most of my life. I fell into my beliefs (insomuch as I "believe" a non-existent being truly doesn't exist, but you can't disprove a negative) at an early age. For an argumentative research paper my senior year of high school, I wrote why I thought religion was nonsense... I wonder what my teacher believed on the subject. She almost said I couldn't do it because it couldn't be proven (but isn't that the point of an argumentative topic?) but I was too far in. Got an A, she said mostly for style rather than whatever else she originally had in mind. I thought it was a pretty bold paper personally.

At any rate, I went on to study biochemistry in college and only became more convinced from such classes. Separately, in 2007, I made an earnest attempt to involve myself in politics. My parents were republicans (mom was a former democrat who was bludgeoned over the head by my dad's constant brainwashing by Fox - guess where my allegiances are?Smile). But I was definitely smarting over the Bush presidency. So I thought I'd follow the primaries closely and see which party/platform I supported. It was my first foray into politics. And in addition to my scientific background, my atheist background roots me firmly in the democratic party. I've been following politics fairly closely ever since. I've learned a great deal, but still have a lot more to learn (particularly our history).

So it's clear I'm not shy when it comes to polemics. Controversial issues are controversial because they're 1) important to society, 2) sometimes a little murky in figuring out what truly to do. So people can be concerned about an issue without doing research, and that leads to dicey arguments and positions. I'm definitely passionate and engaged in a variety of topics. So maybe I'll find some issues here where I can display that.

But my other passion has been music (Metal, classical - Dream Theater, Jason Becker, Bach, Mozart, etc). I've got an ear for it. Picked up the guitar 15 years ago and haven't set it down since. I've been a very active member in the powertab community under the same name. Indeed, I'm a moderator over at the forums there. So I understand the need for rules and spam suspicions.

But I also felt my first post was an honest (and decent) idea aimed at spreading our cause. I googled "atheist forum" to find one to sign up with, and looked at what seem to be 3 largely equivalent forums in terms of members/activity. But I started here because I liked the layout, the banner, and the live chat window at the home page. So I'm hoping my idea won't have to be shelved for a month to get any feed back. I see it as a community-building project, which seems like it'd be only beneficial to a site like this.

As more background, I've been a big fan of Hitchens for awhile now. Found him a few years ago, before he got sick. Then I watched his slow demise almost in real time. Sad Actively reading his god is not Great. I've also read a couple of Carl Sagan's books. And recently, I've been watching a science of a lot of (read: hell of a lot of, but I don't believe in hell, so it's getting a make-over) Sam Harris. I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of his books. And I've only started to get into Richard Dawkins. Saw his Militant Atheism clip, interview with Stephen Hawking, and TED talks from like 15 years ago.

I'd like to re-emphasize (from the first post) my interest in converting Sam Harris's speeches into songs to help popularize them. What kind of Christmas music do we have?

... actually, I've never looked. There's probably some awesome atheist music. I can think of at least one progressive metal jam that isn't anti-god, but at least pro-science, that could be seen as celebrating atheism, or maybe used as a theme at a convention or something...
(Andromeda - Two is One <around 4:19>). As an aside, I focus largely on the music, and only scarcely on the lyrics. So I bet I could be way off on that.

So maybe that's a good place to end it here. What are your favorite atheist jams that I can check out? You'd think I should ask that at the power tab forums, being musically focused. But contentious topic is still contentious.

Cheers,
~Golbez
RE: Hello everyone.
Hello and welcome.

Dont mean to offend, but your name bares a resemblence to a historic figure, which makes me grin every time I read your name. Tongue
(December 30, 2012 at 5:45 am)Golbez Wrote: I googled "atheist forum" to find one to sign up with, and looked at what seem to be 3 largely equivalent forums in terms of members/activity. But I started here because I liked the layout, the banner, and the live chat window at the home page.

That's the same way I joined this forum, too. And for the same reason. Big Grin

Hello and welcome.
(December 30, 2012 at 5:50 am)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: Hello and welcome.

Dont mean to offend, but your name bares a resemblence to a historic figure, which makes me grin every time I read your name. Tongue

I'm not offended. The lame truth of it is he's a character from a video game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golbez#Golbez
With awesome music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkx3KcO7TCs

Which is impressionable to a youth discovering awesome music. Smile Nobuo Uematsu's archive of excellent music is staggering.
Hello, please pick up your complementary copy of "Barbecue Kitten, The Atheist Cookbook" and be sure to record the NFL without their express written permission.

Welcome.
Welcome & enjoy the forums Smile
Welcome Golbez!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(December 30, 2012 at 6:01 am)Golbez Wrote: I'm not offended. The lame truth of it is he's a character from a video game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golbez#Golbez
With awesome music:

Which is impressionable to a youth discovering awesome music. Smile Nobuo Uematsu's archive of excellent music is staggering.

That truth is in no way lame! Nobuo is as close to godly as anyone can get.

I actually got Theatrhythm Final Fantasy for the 3DS for xmas. It is awesome playing through all the songs.

Oh, Welcome. Big Grin
Cunt
I wouldn't take your first post personally. Understand that there's a lot of spammers and trolls that come here promoting their crap, makes it hard to discern the genuine people, that's all really.

Welcome anyways.
Good to have you aboard!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hello, everyone Rolls 21 1412 June 27, 2020 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello Everyone! Chicken 33 2174 December 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello Everyone :) , { Just an ape trying to socialize } Enlightened Ape 31 5647 April 24, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
Wink Hello Everyone! rskovride 15 1892 February 21, 2018 at 5:45 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Everyone Shai Hulud 32 7839 May 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Shai Hulud
  Hello Everyone! Driggs 22 2618 April 12, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello everyone account_inactive 25 3836 April 12, 2017 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hello Everyone! Flavius 9 1231 March 30, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Hello everyone Yoo 11 2383 August 29, 2016 at 12:11 pm