Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How I respect Theists
How I respect Theists
[Image: 548182_417378171648071_962973498_n.jpg]
This is my believe about Theists.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: How I respect Theists
Just a question.
"no i do not respect your religious beliefs"
" I respect you as long as you respect me"

Seen as religious beliefs make up a large percentage of who a person is and what they believe. Just as political viewpoints do. Does this mean that the second statement contradicts the first. Just a question. Or is it more, i personally don't respect what you believe but I respect you so will critique your religion in a respectful manner?
I'm not so sure that respecting someone's right to express their religious beliefs, and not respecting their right to tell you you are going to hell are compatible. I mean what if their religious beliefs include you going to hell?

I personally don't mind being told I'm evil or going to hell. Whatever. It's like telling me I'm going to Narnia or something.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(January 9, 2013 at 8:30 pm)ThatMuslimGuy Wrote: Just a question.
"no i do not respect your religious beliefs"
" I respect you as long as you respect me"

Seen as religious beliefs make up a large percentage of who a person is and what they believe. Just as political viewpoints do. Does this mean that the second statement contradicts the first. Just a question. Or is it more, i personally don't respect what you believe but I respect you so will critique your religion in a respectful manner?

No it does not, As I do have respect for a person as a human being, but there believes is a small part of them and I will not respect a religious believe. Like homophobes hate the sin love the sinner, I hate the religion but love the religious.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Quote:Seen as religious beliefs make up a large percentage of who a person is and what they believe.

I would feel quite sorry for someone so limited.

Quote:Seen as religious beliefs make up a large percentage of who a person is and what they believe.

I'd feel sorry for someone so pathetic as to wallow in fairy tales to make himself feel needed or useful.

Such a shame to throw life away on absurd dreams.
I find it harder and harder every day to respect anyone with laughable beliefs.

It never used to bother me much.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Respect is earned, and I do not respect all equally.
This whole respect crap is overrated. I don't respect anyone's religion any more than their TV choices especially if it is Oprah in both cases. If any asshole thinks they have a right to tell me about it I certainly have the right to return the favor and tell them they are idiots for having a religion.
If a person considers their religious beliefs to be so important that it defines who they are, chances are I would have no respect for them as people, either.
(January 9, 2013 at 11:22 pm)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: This whole respect crap is overrated. I don't respect anyone's religion any more than their TV choices especially if it is Oprah in both cases. If any asshole thinks they have a right to tell me about it I certainly have the right to return the favor and tell them they are idiots for having a religion.

Religion is in our culture and culture consists in (majority) norms.

If the ''religion'' was democracy and the majority government ruled, for example, that saying the word Oprah in public was a criminal offence that would land you in jail, what then?
What are you gonna do if you are an Oprahaicist? One option is to move to a different culture.

The subjective ideal of ''respect'' becomes irrelevant unless you can get a majority to agree what deserves respect, tolerance, obedience, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Do We Respect Other People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 93 18111 September 10, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Are there religious figures you respect? Shinagami 19 4288 August 4, 2015 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4889 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8174 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  How come people who are either hindus or buddhists respect Monotheism Richi1 0 868 December 27, 2013 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Richi1
  Fundamentalists and Biblical Inerrantists Don't Respect the Bible MindForgedManacle 3 1764 October 20, 2013 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Polaris
  Should we respect Religion? Gooders1002 49 20260 February 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  why i respect muslims more than christians zentor 14 7972 June 21, 2012 at 5:35 am
Last Post: jupitor
  how to respect without praying jackman 20 10014 April 16, 2012 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: jackman
  Having Far More Respect For Beliefs Of Non Judeo Christian Theists Xavier 22 12361 February 26, 2012 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger