Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The First Amendment Is Atheistic
The First Amendment Is Atheistic
There is a lot of rubbish about the USA being a Christian nation. However, I have noticed that most atheists do not realize that they have an excellent come back against those who make the claim the USA is a Christian nation. America's greatest law is the First Amendment, which allows freedom of speech. Without this law, no other freedom can exist. The mistake many people make is in failing to realize that the First Amendment does stake out a theistic position, and it is an atheistic one.

Many religions claim that blasphemy is real. Claims are made all the time that one must persecute, and even murder, those who insult one's god or prophet. For anyone holding such beliefs, compromise and tolerance is impossible. The First Amendment, rather than taking a neutral position with respect to such religious beliefs, openly proclaims that these specific beliefs are ridiculous. The First Amendment allows anyone to make any statement that they care to, no matter how insulting the statement may be, with respect to another's religion. This could only be allowed in a nation where the legal system takes the position that blasphemy does not exist. The First Amendment states that anyone who believes that people will go to eternal hell unless they persecute a blasphemer are wrong in their belief. No religious fundamentalist would have devised such a law. And this is exactly why the idea for the First Amendment originally came from an atheist, Baruch Spinoza.

I am thankful that the US was founded on atheism, not Christianity.
RE: The First Amendment Is Atheistic
Hello and welcome to the forums.

You do realize that even though what you wrote might be true, most religious people are of the opinion that 'you are free to speak what you want to, as long as I like what you say'. Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(January 18, 2013 at 10:14 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Hello and welcome to the forums.

You do realize that even though what you wrote might be true, most religious people are of the opinion that 'you are free to speak what you want to, as long as I like what you say'. Tongue

That may be true. However, the First Amendment does allow for unpopular speech. That's why it exists. No one needs a law to allow them to state what is popular. It is just easier for atheists to be tolerant than it is for religious fundies, because atheists don't believe anyone is going to be punished for blasphemy.

And thanks for the welcome.
For being a land of 'freedom', the USA seem to have a lot of issue finding a consensus to what freedom is. I think it's vital that everyone gets to say what they want, given that a good education promoting critical thinking is a given for every citizen. It's when the crazies starts to spout their absurdities and the loonies follow that problems occur, or when the wise ones talk but most are too stupid to understand.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(January 18, 2013 at 10:26 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: For being a land of 'freedom', the USA seem to have a lot of issue finding a consensus to what freedom is. I think it's vital that everyone gets to say what they want, given that a good education promoting critical thinking is a given for every citizen. It's when the crazies starts to spout their absurdities and the loonies follow that problems occur, or when the wise ones talk but most are too stupid to understand.

I don't think so. Craziness spoken is not the problem. Even a crazy person speaking may cause one to reflect on why one rejects the crazy person's claim. Thus, one walks away from the conversation better for it.

Unfortunately, freedom is not taught in American schools. It's a shame, but true. The schools teach such nonsense as democracy is freedom, when it is anything but. The vast majority of the proponents of freedom are not even known to the average American. Nevertheless, through freedom of speech, their ideas can become known.
(January 18, 2013 at 10:42 pm)ComplexityofChaos Wrote: Even a crazy person speaking may cause one to reflect on why one rejects the crazy person's claim. Thus, one walks away from the conversation better for it.

Yes, but for every one person who walks away, you usually get 50 who are willing to follow.

Hello, C/C

Unfortunately the First Amendment also establishes freedom of religion.

Big fucking mistake by those deist douchebags who wrote the damn thing.
(January 18, 2013 at 10:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Unfortunately the First Amendment also establishes freedom of religion.

Yeah, freedom of religion always ends up in conflict with other rights.

Welcome ComplexityofChaos Smile
(January 18, 2013 at 10:43 pm)Kayenneh Wrote:
(January 18, 2013 at 10:42 pm)ComplexityofChaos Wrote: Even a crazy person speaking may cause one to reflect on why one rejects the crazy person's claim. Thus, one walks away from the conversation better for it.

Yes, but for every one person who walks away, you usually get 50 who are willing to follow.

Usually, from what I see, people are wanting to get away from the crazy person. Unless the crazy person happens to be rich, like Donald Trump.
(January 18, 2013 at 10:12 pm)ComplexityofChaos Wrote: The First Amendment, rather than taking a neutral position with respect to such religious beliefs, openly proclaims that these specific beliefs are ridiculous. The First Amendment allows anyone to make any statement that they care to, no matter how insulting the statement may be, with respect to another's religion. This could only be allowed in a nation where the legal system takes the position that blasphemy does not exist. The First Amendment states that anyone who believes that people will go to eternal hell unless they persecute a blasphemer are wrong in their belief.

[Image: Dude-cigarette-w2-sm.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All Hail the Second Amendment Minimalist 3795 642312 August 14, 2020 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1701 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 71891 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1971 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's 2nd amendment call to arms not a criminal offense? Whateverist 17 3066 August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  First Amendment only protects Christians Foxaèr 15 3658 May 14, 2014 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  North Dakota Senate Passes ‘Personhood’ Amendment, Forgets Women Are People Mystical 20 8764 March 25, 2013 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  A letter to my newspaper on the Johnson Amendment. Anymouse 0 1422 January 17, 2013 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: Anymouse
  Oklahoma law maker breaks the first amendment...... with spelling errors! TaraJo 16 18051 November 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Arizona corrupts First Amendment BoyWonder 2 2163 April 4, 2012 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: mediamogul