Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map proves Portuguese discovered Australia: new book
Map proves Portuguese discovered Australia: new book
http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/03/2...9720070321

Quote:A 16th century maritime map in a Los Angeles library vault proves that Portuguese adventurers, not British or Dutch, were the first Europeans to discover Australia, says a new book which details the secret discovery of Australia.

The book "Beyond Capricorn" says the map, which accurately marks geographical sites along Australia's east coast in Portuguese, proves that Portuguese seafarer Christopher de Mendonca lead a fleet of four ships into Botany Bay in 1522 -- almost 250 years before Britain's Captain James Cook.

Sorry we couldn't hang around until the brits came by, but I think you ended up a bit better than the Brazilians, so thumbs up!
RE: Map proves Portuguese discovered Australia: new book
You know that the vikings discovered America (despite the fact that it was discovered by the people who lived there in the first place)

And what use was it to the vikings?

non, since they didnt capitalise on their discovery.
Still, it's nice to set the record straight and have the history books tell the correct tale, instead of the winning tale.
I thought aborigines discovered Australia. Beat the Europeans by at least 45,000 years. And unlike Vikings or portugese, did something with their discovery.
(February 19, 2013 at 10:56 am)Chuck Wrote: I thought aborigines discovered Australia. Beat the Europeans by at least 45,000 years. And unlike Vikings or portugese, did something with their discovery.

Huh? What did they achieve? In 45 000 years they never discovered gold :|
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
They booze all day right? Love their rock in the desert though.
Gold = achievement? Yeah, just fucking learning to survive on a certain landscape is not badass enough.
It's also likely that Chinese explorers sailed along the coast of California pre-Columbus. There is something to be said for the first people to decide to permanently settle in a New Land. Since the Portuguese in this case may not have even touched down on land (We really don't know what they did, since all we have is a map that seems accurate to one part of one port.) It doesn't really surprise me that the Portuguese saw Australia, they had been to Japan by that time. However James Cook led to the colonization of Australia. He actually accurately categorized and claimed it. Whether it's moral or good is different, but it is far more historically significant. The same that Columbus's journey is far more important than the viking explorations, which didn't lead to anything long term.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
As goldbuggy as I am, it's useless until you can melt it down and refine it. They were hunter gatherers.

Nobody is trading in nuggets, especially when you're constantly on the move.

Thanks for this thread, I was under the impression it was the dutch, I shall have to look into this
Nemo me impune lacessit.
(February 19, 2013 at 10:00 am)pocaracas Wrote: Sorry we couldn't hang around until the brits came by, but I think you ended up a bit better than the Brazilians, so thumbs up!
Not to piss on your parade, but it's long been believed that Cook used a map or maps from the Dutch/Portuguese, and all this is is further evidence that it was in fact the Portuguese that discovered Australia first. I'm no historian, but I believe you will find plenty of people who will look at that evidence and tell you they believe the Dutch also likely voyaged to the east coast of Australia around that time, even if we don't have a Dutch map as old yet. So it will still be a point of contention and disagreement over whether it was the Dutch or Portuguese who visited first, as it has been for quite some time.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 640 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Statuesque dinosaur fossil discovered Thumpalumpacus 44 7988 May 13, 2017 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Big Grin An Old Science book from 1650 Fake Messiah 19 2839 June 10, 2016 at 3:52 am
Last Post: abaris
  The simple body test that proves the theory of evolution TubbyTubby 17 2762 March 22, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Bug-killing book pages clean murky drinking water zebo-the-fat 6 1797 August 17, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
Thumbs Up Book Recommendations Brometheus 4 1509 April 1, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Stupid Virus Discovered in People popeyespappy 0 992 November 11, 2014 at 11:09 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Origins of sex discovered: Side-by-side copulation Dolorian 4 1583 October 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  New thing discovered that does not fit into tree of life downbeatplumb 8 2365 September 5, 2014 at 11:13 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biggest Dino yet discovered max-greece 15 2571 May 17, 2014 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: max-greece