Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do rational fears exist?
Do rational fears exist?
Do rational fears exist, or are they all irrational?

For example, I say that it is silly to fear plane crashes, while others would call it normal and logical and suffer from that fear, despite the extremely low number of plane crashes/plane malfunctions that occur around the world each year.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Re: Do rational fears exist?
Most fears are rational.
RE: Do rational fears exist?
I mean, isn't it always irrational to have fear? It serves it's purpose for Humans, to keep us from danger, but fear, in itself, seems kind of irrational. What will happen, will happen, regardless of how much,or if you fear.
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
Is it irrational to fear harm when the threat of immediate harm is present?

(March 11, 2013 at 5:40 pm)TromboneAtheist Wrote: What will happen, will happen, regardless of how much, or if you fear.

Not necessarily, if that fear leads you to act in a way that you would not have acted in the absence of fear.
Re: Do rational fears exist?
A fear of heights will keep you from getting close enough to the edge of a cliff to fall off and die. Fear of spiders and snakes will keep you from approaching one that may be venomous and lethal. Fear of the dark will make you more aware of your surroundings so you would be more likely to spot a potential predator. Fear of deep water could stop you from falling in and drowning. And so on. Fears tend to have a function.
I have many irrational fears myself (like sheep and moths/butterflies) so I'm well aware that they do exist, but your everyday fears are generally rational ones.
(March 11, 2013 at 6:03 pm)NoraBrimstone Wrote: A fear of heights will keep you from getting close enough to the edge of a cliff to fall off and die. Fear of spiders and snakes will keep you from approaching one that may be venomous and lethal. Fear of the dark will make you more aware of your surroundings so you would be more likely to spot a potential predator. Fear of deep water could stop you from falling in and drowning. And so on. Fears tend to have a function.

But there are millions (if not billions) of people who don't have fears of any of those things. Why don't they, as opposed to someone else who does? Besides, your examples can easily be expressed as irrational fears, especially considering how and when people with those fears express them.

We know (well, depending on where you live) that spiders that we encounter on a daily basis are not harmful to us. Heights should not be an issue if you are safe and secure (and in many cases of those with fears of heights, it applies to any situation where they are far up, even if there is zero chance of them falling). We all fear the dark if we are in a place we've never been (though I don't see that as a fear of the dark as much as it is a fear of the place you are. The darkness is just maximizing it because you don't know your surroundings in the first place). But many people who are afraid of the dark are afraid of darkness regardless of where they are, including their own home that they know well enough to be able to walk in without a light. And what is the fear of deep water serve if we are able to swim?

(March 11, 2013 at 5:25 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: Do rational fears exist, or are they all irrational?

For example, I say that it is silly to fear plane crashes, while others would call it normal and logical and suffer from that fear, despite the extremely low number of plane crashes/plane malfunctions that occur around the world each year.

I think whenever a fear isn't rational its a phobia, technically, as for every single fear out there whether or not they are rational is a difficult question because there's a vast spectrum of fears.
The fear of plane crashes is illogical but it's completely logical that we would have these fears as part of the evolution of our brain.
It's only been in the last hundred years or so mankind has been able to fly though the air at such high speeds in what is basically a metal container blasted from one continent to another so our brains still aren't used to the fact that is safe.

This thread is FUCKING fascinating by the way. I love stuff that involves evolution of the brain. You were talking about spiders and snakes and how this fear could easily be irrational because we see spiders on a day to day basis that aren't dangerous. But for millions of years spiders and snakes were deadly to us as a species.
I was listening to an audio book recently that talked about this exact same sort of thing but it was about why women sometimes seem to like guys who are very bad for them, something to do with the fact that for millions of years the best guy for them to breed with was always the most aggressive male, and even though some aggressive traits are logically seen as bad, the female brain still reacts positively to some things that are logically bad but that their brain has evolved to see as good . The audio book also mentioned something about how birds do this same sort of thing, even if they have been bred on an island without birds of prey they still have it evolved in their brains to recognize and be afraid of birds of prey.
So again i would say SOME fears are illogical but it's still logical as to why we would have these fears. And some which obviously aren't logical at all which are called phobias, when guys are deadly afraid of drain pipes or whatever.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

[Image: angry-dog-380x2513.jpg]

I would consider my fear of this dog and runing away from it very rational.
Probably even the most rational thing I could do.
(March 11, 2013 at 9:49 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: [Image: angry-dog-380x2513.jpg]

I would consider my fear of this dog and runing away from it very rational.
Probably even the most rational thing I could do.

I'm actually cracking up laughing at what website that photo came from.

You may have a point here, but perhaps we could group fears like this one together. Because fear of the dark, spiders, water, all still seem irrational for the reasons I posted before.

I actualy know a person who collects, photographs, cooks and eats spiders who told me that fear of spiders has something to do with the 8 legs and that these supposedly fuck with us and make us fear spiders.
I think fear of dark is something easily explained since it probably has something to do with our instincts. Did you know that when we seat ourselves in a room we always look for the spot from which we can overlook most of the room? - I guess fear of dark is releated to that instict of keeping a "overview".

Fear of water probably releates to fear of drowning - but I guess it can have something to do with trauma.
I am affraid of hights because I had a pritty nasty falling expirience as a little child. And I actualy think that all irrational fears are the result of trauma or other memorable expiriences.

Other than that, I dont think of most fears to be irrational.

plus: I simply googled "angry dog". And I am not even going to look up which page that image is from Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1672 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3598 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7033 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? vulcanlogician 188 22930 August 30, 2021 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  An easy proof that rational numbers are countable. Jehanne 7 2044 February 22, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Is the fear of irrational fears rational? ErGingerbreadMandude 26 6290 August 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5168 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4548 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3679 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15131 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus