Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IC 405, AE Aurigae and the Flaming Star Nebula, In Auriga
IC 405, AE Aurigae and the Flaming Star Nebula, In Auriga
[Image: IC405_rgb_clr_Adjust_crop1_zps4d5316a0.jpg]

This is one that I captured on January 4, 2011, and was dumbfounded as to how to process it because of the high dynamic range and the subtle color variations. It really has been a challenge. But I think I finally got it to look similar to what the big boys are producing. This crop of the master image is 65 minutes of total exposure at ISO 800. Taken at the Louisville Astronomical Society James Baker Center of Astronomy, in Curby, Indiana.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: IC 405, AE Aurigae and the Flaming Star Nebula, In Auriga
Beautiful as always orogenicman Heart
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
In pictures like these, when you see the edges of the stars, is that the actual edge of the star or is that the intense light of the star making it look bigger than it is?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(March 14, 2013 at 4:58 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: In pictures like these, when you see the edges of the stars, is that the actual edge of the star or is that the intense light of the star making it look bigger than it is?

The star spikes are diffraction spikes caused by light diffraction around the secondary mirror support of the telescope. In order to obtain images of the faint nebula, long exposures must be taken, and in doing so, the stars, particularly the brightest ones, become over exposed. There isn't much that can be done about that. What's worse, in order to bring out these faint nebula, one must stretch the image in such a way that the stars tend to develop halos around them. There are methods that minimize this, but I'm still working on that issue. It's one of the most difficult issues to deal with when processing astrophotographs. All astrophotographs are a compromise between the various elements. Stretch the nebula colors, and the star colors can be affected. There are ways to deal with that too, and I'm getting better at it.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black hole eats a star Foxaèr 19 3251 June 20, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star zebo-the-fat 72 8190 August 27, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Alex K
  The Cone and Fox Fur Nebula, NGC 2264 orogenicman 13 3153 May 19, 2015 at 8:02 am
Last Post: Cato
  Messier 20, the Trifid Nebula orogenicman 4 1291 February 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Bizarre star could host a neutron star in its core Jackalope 3 1254 January 9, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  NGC2175, The Monkey's Head Nebula, In Orion orogenicman 8 4536 November 15, 2013 at 3:11 am
Last Post: max-greece
  IC-5070, The Pelican Nebula, In Cygnus orogenicman 9 3192 September 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Barnard's star orogenicman 2 1068 September 24, 2013 at 5:19 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Messier 20, The Trifid Nebula, In Sagittarius orogenicman 6 2672 June 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Remix of Messier 8 Core, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 2 1439 March 13, 2013 at 11:01 am
Last Post: orogenicman