Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messier 3, Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici
Messier 3, Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici
[Image: ngc5272_rgb_adjust_zps1b073bda.jpg]

Messier 3, Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici (not to be confused with M13, In Hercules).

From Wikipedia:

Messier 3 (also known as M3 or NGC 5272) is a globular cluster of stars in the northern constellation of Canes Venatici. It was discovered by Charles Messier on May 3, 1764,[7] and resolved into stars by William Herschel around 1784. Since then, it has become one of the best-studied globular clusters.

Many amateur astronomers consider it one of the finest northern globular clusters, following only Messier 13.[1] M3 has an apparent magnitude of 6.2,[4] making it a difficult naked eye target even with dark conditions. With a moderate-sized telescope, the cluster is fully defined. It can be a challenge to locate through the technique of star hopping, but can be found by looking almost exactly halfway along an imaginary line connecting the bright star Arcturus to Cor Caroli. Using a telescope with a 25 cm (9.8 in) aperture, the cluster has a bright core with a diameter of about 6 arcminutes and spans a total of 12 arcminutes.[1]

This cluster is one of the largest and brightest, and is made up of around 500,000 stars. It is estimated to be 8 billion years old. It is located at a distance of about 33,900 light-years away from Earth

Image:

32 x 90sec = 48 minutes exposure at ISO 800

Equipment same as my others.

Taken on April 4, 2011 at the Louisville Astronomical Society James baker Center for Astronomy.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Messier 3, Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici
Truly awe inspiring
Awesome pic of an awesome sight.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Thanks, folks.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Always a pleasure orogenicman to see your work. Heart

Did you capture the current aurora event? Don't forget the meteor shower on the 22nd of this month! Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
No I didn't, and I know that no one at our club event Saturday tried and failed to do so as well. Apparently it didn't reach us here where I live.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Still orogenicman, I am looking forward to the meteor shower on the 22nd. Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Oro, have you ever written down somewhere the process you go through to take these? I know David would love to read that.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(April 16, 2013 at 11:24 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Oro, have you ever written down somewhere the process you go through to take these? I know David would love to read that.

Hi:

No I haven't, and I am afraid the best way to learn it really is by doing. A friend came up last weekend all the way from Georgia to learn how to do it, so we spent all of Friday night out at the observatory doing just that.

So, when are you guys coming up? Angel Cloud

- Dr. Donald Prothero
hahahahah, not till fall, sweet pea. We had to push our DC trip to June. It's been hard for him to get weekends off ever since taking over the flagship studio.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Messier 45, in Taurus orogenicman 7 1326 March 31, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Messier 20, the Trifid Nebula orogenicman 4 1284 February 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Messier 33, The Triangulum Galaxy orogenicman 0 716 April 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm
  Messier 33, in Triangulum orogenicman 8 2727 September 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Messier 20, The Trifid Nebula, In Sagittarius orogenicman 6 2670 June 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Messier 13, Globular Cluster in Hercules orogenicman 0 1279 April 14, 2013 at 2:11 am
  Remix of Messier 8 Core, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 2 1433 March 13, 2013 at 11:01 am
Photo Double Cluster, In Perseus orogenicman 3 1075 January 3, 2013 at 7:30 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Messier 33, The Pinwheel Galaxy, in Triangulum orogenicman 2 1858 December 9, 2012 at 11:44 am
  Messier 8, The Lagoon Nebula orogenicman 3 2311 December 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Annik