Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Why pray?
Why pray?
Why pray? What is prayer good for? Isn't it just wishful thinking? Do you think it makes a difference?
RE: Why pray?
[Image: prayer-does-nothing.jpg]
(April 25, 2013 at 10:57 am)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: prayer-does-nothing.jpg]

Exactly!!! Fake as far as I'm concerned. But do they actually think it does anything? They must have doubt that it works seeing as a majority still rely on other human, I.e doctors, surgeons, charities,etc.
If god was going to do something is he waiting for a prayer or is he just ignoring them?
Quote:But do they actually think it does anything?

Of course they do. THAT'S why they are fucking idiots.
I'm sure that some believe it works. I think that they're in the minority.

I think that a lot of people work very hard to try and convince themselves that it works. You probably know at least a few of them, who credit prayer when things go well and offer up bizarre (and sometimes truly obscene) rationalizations when they don't. "Oh, the chemo didn't work and you've only got a month to live? It must be a blessing in disguise! I'm sooo jealous right now!"
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
[Image: x6dJA.jpg]
(April 25, 2013 at 11:05 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:But do they actually think it does anything?

Of course they do. THAT'S why they are fucking idiots.

Well recently the idiots are coming out the wood works with this Boston deal. MSN had a article of how we need prayer as if that was a major contribution to the situation. I here alota lot of "I'm praying for you" from the religious and think wow thanks for all you do, not. IT IS RATHER IIRRITATING. Nothing seem to be productive from prayer if anything it is more fake. Like "I am not going to do anything but maybe my skydaddy will so be grateful for my prayer". I wish people would pull their head out their ass and leave this nonsense behind. Just have sympathy if you can't do anything but don't go further and try to claim some credit of productivity when you know it isn't.

Min always has the perfect memes.
Why indeed.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
And when their prayers are not answered, their convenient answer is God not answering my prayer is still an answer, because he is testing me. It is a sign of a sick mind to think God would answer an individual's prayer in relation to winning a football game but not answer a starving child's plea for food, and that is why faith makes people mentally imbalanced.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Oh, they believe it alright. That's the scary part, it's the 21st Century and we're still deluged with people who buy into this medieval stuff. I remember this teacher when I was just a kid whose response to someone's question as to why God didn't always answer your prayers told us with a straight face that God always answers prayers, it's just that sometimes the answer is no. Then we got asked what God's phone number was. When all she got was a room full of 9 year olds with dumbfounded looks she made the sign of the cross. Gotta love those nuns. Anyways, I got myself sent to the principal because I could not help but ask "Excuse me sister- What's the area code?"
Had a hard time sitting down the rest of the day. Can't win 'em all.
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Somebody came up to me offering to pray for me today ReptilianPeon 57 7148 October 8, 2021 at 10:16 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1562 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Get those kids o there! (Theists at Jacksonville try to pray Hurricane Irma away) causal code 20 6367 September 11, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why People Think They Need to Pray Rhondazvous 34 6604 October 14, 2015 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11559 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Birds of pray Rokcet Scientist 3 1259 June 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: bbrettle