Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
False perceptions about Atheism and Agnosticism
False perceptions about Atheism and Agnosticism
There seems to be a misguided perception, among Theists, about the definition of the word: Atheist, and how that term relates to Agnosticism. Many Theists feel Atheism is the denial of the existence of god, and that Agnosticism represents a completely different perspective altogether.

It isn't, and it doesn't. Atheism is simply the answer to a question:

Do you believe in god? No.

It's no more, and no less. The Atheist does not, by definition, carry some burden of proof that god doesn't exist. Further more, most Atheists are also Agnostic, as Agnostic is simply the answer to another question:

Do you know that god doesn't exist? No.

The problem with this perception is that creates many debate challenges that are either irrelevant or invalid, like for example:

"You are an Atheist, so prove that god doesn't exist?"

This question comes up frequently in debate/discussions with Theists, but the question itself misrepresents the position of Atheists. A more appropriate question in that discussion is:

"You are a Theist, so prove god exists?"

The point is, the misperception of the Atheist position is a deterrent to effective and progressive discussion between Atheists and Theists.

I'll conclude with what I feel is a perfectly appropriate quote from Stephen Roberts:

"Atheism"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
[Image: earthp.jpg]
RE: False perceptions about Atheism and Agnosticism
These false perception do not only occure amongst theists.

Look at A+ and how they redefine the word.
To communist Albanian despots and Mao, atheism meant that one had to destroy religion itself and not just simply reject it.
(May 30, 2013 at 4:41 pm)smax Wrote: There seems to be a misguided perception, among Theists, about the definition of the word: Atheist, and how that term relates to Agnosticism. Many Theists feel Atheism is the denial of the existence of god, and that Agnosticism represents a completely different persepective altogether.

It isn't, and it doesn't. Atheism is simply the answer to a question:

Do you believe in god? No.

It's no more, and no less. The Atheist does not, by definition, carry some burden of proof that god doesn't exist. Further more, most Atheists are also Agnostic, as Agnostic is simply the answer to another question:

Do you know that god doesn't exist? No.

The problem with this perception is that creates many debate challenges that are either irrelevant or invalid, like for example:

"You are an Atheist, so prove that god doesn't exist?"

This question comes up frequently in debate/discussions with Theists, but the question itself misrepresents the position of Atheists. A more appropriate question in that discussion is:

"You are a Theist, so prove god exists?"

The point is, the misperception of the Atheist position is a deterrent to effective and progressive discussion between Atheists and Theists.

I'll conclude with what I feel is a perfectly appropriate quote from Stephen Roberts:

"Atheism"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Very nice.

I would also like to add, that for the majority of atheists, their atheism is a provisional position, not a dogmatic one.

As long as there continues to be a lack of demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument to support the claim that a god exists, my atheism will continue.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(May 30, 2013 at 4:46 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: These false perception do not only occure amongst theists.

Look at A+ and how they redefine the word.
To communist Albanian despots and Mao, atheism meant that one had to destroy religion itself and not just simply reject it.

It seems to be socially acceptable to misrepresent the beliefs of Atheists, which I find fascinating, and perhaps quite revealing.

(May 30, 2013 at 5:00 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Very nice.

I would also like to add, that for the majority of atheists, their atheism is a provisional position, not a dogmatic one.

As long as there continues to be a lack of demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument to support the claim that a god exists, my atheism will continue.

Agreed. Why anyone would take any other position is beyond me.
This should be stickied somewhere, so everyone reads this before posting the same old tired crap.
(May 30, 2013 at 4:41 pm)smax Wrote: There seems to be a misguided perception, among Theists, about the definition of the word: Atheist, and how that term relates to Agnosticism. Many Theists feel Atheism is the denial of the existence of god, and that Agnosticism represents a completely different persepective altogether.
Well, apparently, a lot of Atheists also don't use a spell-checker. What is the point you're trying to make? Atheists also make the exact same mistake. It makes no difference to me whether someone is Atheist, Agnostic or Deist, it's all the same to me.
(May 30, 2013 at 5:11 pm)smax Wrote: It seems to be socially acceptable to misrepresent the beliefs of Atheists, which I find fascinating, and perhaps quite revealing.

I dont think it is socialy acceptable.
It is simply convinient for people how promote an agenda which has opponents, to label that opponent with non to flattering collours for the purpose of disinfrangement. This has always and will alway be done with deliberate ignorance for the truth of the matter.

Not just simply with atheism. Just look arround and observe any political campain anywhere, or read a tabloid which has an agenda against certain people.
(May 30, 2013 at 5:15 pm)ideologue08 Wrote:
Well, apparently, a lot of Atheists also don't use a spell-checker. What is the point you're trying to make? Atheists also make the exact same mistake. It makes no difference to me whether someone is Atheist, Agnostic or Deist, it's all the same to me.

Did you really just ask what the point was?
(May 30, 2013 at 5:38 pm)smax Wrote: Did you really just ask what the point was?
Basic English comprehension skills would give a pretty decisive answer. Now, was there a point in mentioning Theists or not?
and then demonstrate that you already knew?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When believing false things is comforting Foxaèr 45 5274 September 26, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2055 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The false self and our knowledge of it's deception proves God. Mystic 89 12235 April 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6475 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
Heart A false god does not exist, but the True One exists! Right? theBorg 26 6002 September 8, 2016 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  False pagan gods are not the True ones? theBorg 88 15791 August 17, 2016 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Meaning of Sin, False Christians, Atheists, and Misinterpretations TheChrist 64 13878 August 2, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Gandhi rejected Christianity as a false religion Foxaèr 13 4275 January 2, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Proof christianity is false Lemonvariable72 24 9882 December 5, 2013 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  the logical fallacies of religion and false arguments Nightfoot92 5 4091 September 15, 2013 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Walking Void