Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prejudice stories
Prejudice stories
Generalizations towards atheists are too common. It seems rare for an atheist to live a life without some sort of prejudice held against him/her. This thread could help to provide some answers to people who really don't know much about these sorts of things that atheists face... But for most of you it's about sharing these moments that we find ourselves in, and relating to each other through sharing these moments.

---
Here's the question: what have people said about you, or to you, relating to your atheist beliefs, and what was this like for you? Personally, I find these kinds of stories are among most interesting, comical, and satisfyingly easy for me to relate to.

------------------------------------------------

Here's just a few generalizations that are already very well known to these forums...
Atheists...
-Have no morals
-Are unlawfulDiablo
-Have no meaning of lifeUndecided
-Are angry with GodBanghead
-Have no hope
-Have no aspiration in life
-Are somehow incomplete Deadpan
-Are narrow minded
---
For those who want to learn more about these kinds of statements here are some threads that could help...

This thread highlights an article combating many different generalizations against atheists in a way anyone can understand: 9 Questions That Atheists Might Find Insulting

This thread faces the issue of theists believing atheists have no morality: I have no morals.

Another thread showing atheist morality:Homeless man shows atheists/agnostics are more generous

This thread questions whether or not the term 'atheist' should be scrapped because of all of the misconceptions behind it: Should the term Atheist be scrapped?
--
RE: Prejudice stories
I think all muslims are suicide bombers with long beards.

including the women
I had an amusing conversation with my Gran last year. She is a Catholic young earth creationist (a real fun lady).

Anyway, I was explaining something to do with me not believing in any gods and she replied like this:

Gran: Once a Catholic, always a Catholic...
Me: But, I never was a Catholic.
Gran: Of course you were, we are Catholic, so you are as well.
Me: That doesn't make much sense.
Gran: Doesn't matter, you are still a Catholic.

She is a treat to talk to about religion, but I don't do it often because holding the laughs back can be pretty hard.
Cunt
lol, listen to my expirences.

Gran: Come here boy
Me: What is it?
Gran: Something importent
Me: What?
Gran: Never trust a Russian!
Me: Why?
Gran: I dont like them
Me: Why?
Gran: They killed your uncles and they are all Jews

at which point my mum grabbed me and pulled me way from her.
I was about 6 or 7 years old.
(June 3, 2013 at 1:15 pm)frankiej Wrote: I had an amusing conversation with my Gran last year. She is a Catholic young earth creationist (a real fun lady).

Anyway, I was explaining something to do with me not believing in any gods and she replied like this:

Gran: Once a Catholic, always a Catholic...
Me: But, I never was a Catholic.
Gran: Of course you were, we are Catholic, so you are as well.
Me: That doesn't make much sense.
Gran: Doesn't matter, you are still a Catholic.

She is a treat to talk to about religion, but I don't do it often because holding the laughs back can be pretty hard.

I can relate, I come from a very Christian family. Probably the most annoying thing for me is when I go to visit my cousins who seriously believe Earth is 6000 years old, we lived with dinosaurs, etc. I always can't help but feel sorry for them because their parents keep them home schooled, well 'protected' from reality.

I'll try to help them, but I have to do so in very quiet ways, since they are the kind of people that would go off and tell their parents if I said anything big against their religion. It seems hopeless...
Xenoblade Chronicles spoilers: "And so, what I... No, what we wish for is... A world with no gods!" - Shulk
From another poster on another thread in reply to a Christian who disagrees with his spiritualism:

Quote:You see!!!
You got something in common with the atheists.
Both of you have lock yourselves in the corral of dogmas.
Once you enter the corral everything get more and more complicated.
Spirituality is very very simple to understand but because you make your life far too complicated into believing in something that does not make sense then you are prevented to understand the simple things in life.
You as a religious person believe in something that is not truth and an atheist into believing something that is the last transformation of pure mind into matter also find impossible to go back where everything started from.
Anyway now that you know you should become a closer friend with your atheist neighbors.
Their corral is not that far from yours.Smile

tl;dr?

Atheists are closed minded/adhere to dogmas/refuse to accept the truth™.

The usual.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
My wife once told me that she thought the reason I gave up religion was because my dad died. She couldn't seem to grasp that the real reason was because I didn't believe in those silly stories any more.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2774 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
Question Coming out stories YoungCapitalist 6 1890 November 18, 2014 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ever hear a christian say something so stupid.(Horror stories here) Lemonvariable72 83 22990 September 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Study says coming out as atheist can help reduce prejudice towards atheists TaraJo 20 8466 February 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: festive1