Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famous people losing their religion: stories
Famous people losing their religion: stories
I heard and read some touching stories of famous people at the moment they lost their religion. These are some that "stayed" with me because there is something startling when you see people being freed from shackles of religion.

Alan Alda
Quote:I was still going to mass every Sunday, because I believed that if I didn’t, I would take a one-way trip to hell. I was twenty-two, and the nuns’ words from my adolescence still burned in my ears. I envied people like Arlene and her father, Simon, who seemed not to need to believe what someone else told them they had to believe.
[...]
Then the priest reached the moment when, after consecrating the host and holding it in both hands, he lifts it above his head. I looked at it. I had always looked at it. But this time I noticed that the other people in the chapel were bowing their heads. Maybe I should be bowing my head, I thought. But, no. If you’re not supposed to look at it, why is the priest holding it up? We’re going to be swallowing it in a minute; why can’t we look at it? This led to a train of thought I had never taken before: I wonder how many of these people bowing their heads actually believe that this is the body of Jesus? Do they realize you can’t regard it as just a symbol? And suddenly, in that moment, I remembered what the Jesuits had taught me. “No matter what,” they said, “you have to follow your conscience.” And I thought: I don’t know what these other people believe, but if I’m honest with myself, I do not believe the priest is holding anything but the same piece of unleavened bread that it was a few minutes ago. I was like the boy of fourteen again, refusing to rise from the pew, holding stubbornly to his right to think for himself.

And then I remembered a second thing the Jesuits had taught me: If you don’t believe in transubstantiation, you’re automatically excommunicated.

I’m out, I thought. I didn’t quit; they don’t want me. They let me go. I’m fired.

A ray of sunlight fell across the chapel, just the way it did in The Song of Bernadette.

Arlene had never opposed what I believed. She never did anything more than ask questions. It took a while, but I began to ask questions, too, and when I did I saw that as logical as I had thought I was, it was as if there were parts of my brain operating independently, not even aware of one another. Arlene had brought me closer to facing these parts of myself. She was introducing me to a notion of reality and compassion I had never known before.

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Quote:We still had our differences. She and my father were Catholic. Every Sunday until I was fifteen, I went to church with them. Then my friends started asking why I did it. They said it was stupid. I had never given it much thought one way or the other. It was a rule at home: we went to church. Helmut Knaur, sort of an intellectual among the bodybuilders, gave me a book called "Pfaffenspiegel", which was about priests, their lives, how horrible they were, and how they'd altered the history of the religion.
Reading that turned me completely around. Karl and Helmut and I discussed it in the gym. Helmut insisted that if I achieved something in life, I shouldn't thank God for it, I should thank myself. It was the same if something bad happened. I shouldn't ask God for help, I should help myself. He asked me if I'd ever prayed for my body. I confessed I had. He said if I wanted a great body, I had to build it. Nobody else could. Least of all God.
These were wild ideas for someone as young as I was. But they made perfect sense and I announced to my family that I would no longer go to church, that I didn't believe in it and didn't have time to waste on it. This added to the conflict at home.

Arthur C. Clarke
Quote:Without knowing it, I became a logical positivist at about the age of ten. Every Sunday, I was supposed to make the two-mile walk to the local Church of England—it was a long time before I discovered there was any other variety—to attend a service for the village youth. To encourage us to sit through the sermons, we were rewarded with stamps illustrating scenes from the Bible. When we had filled an album with these, we were entitled to an “outing”—i.e., a bus trip to some exotic and remote part of Somerset, perhaps as far as twenty miles away. I stuck with it for a few weeks, then decided—to quote Churchill’s famous memorandum on the necessity of ending sentences with a preposition—“This is nonsense up with which I will not put.”
Half a century of travel, reading, and contact with other faiths has endorsed that early insight.

Paul Haggis' mother
Quote:He was raised Catholic and when he was 13, his mum pulled up the parish priest for buying a new Cadillac. "The priest said, 'I thought about this a lot and God wants me to have a Cadillac.' My mom told  the priest that she had thought about it a lot, too, and God did not want them going to mass at his church any more. So I take that from her, I guess. No matter what your belief, you have to be able to question it."

Isaac Asimov
Quote:I remained without religion simply because no one made any effort to teach me religion—any religion. I have been left free and I have loved the freedom. I have never, in all my life, not for one moment, been tempted toward religion of any kind. The fact is that I feel no spiritual void. I have my philosophy of life, which does not include any aspect of the supernatural and which I find totally satisfying. I am, in short, a rationalist and believe only that which reason tells me is so.
[...]
By the time I was reading the Bible, however, science fiction and science books had taught me their version of the universe and I was not ready to accept the Creation tale of Genesis or the various miracles described throughout the book. My experience with the Greek myths (and, later, the grimmer Norse myths) made it quite obvious to me that I was reading Hebrew myths.

Richard Dawkins
Quote:I listened [Elvis] with delight – for my hero sang that every time he saw the wonders of the natural world around him, he felt his religious faith reinforced. My own sentiments exactly! This was surely a sign from heaven. Why I was surprised that Elvis was religious is now beyond me. He came from an uneducated working-class family in the American South. How could he not have been religious? [...] Elvis was speaking personally to me, calling me to devote my life to telling people about the creator god – which I should be especially well qualified to do if I became a biologist like my father. This seemed to be my vocation, and the call came from none other than the semi-divine Elvis.
I am not proud of this period of religious frenzy, and I’m happy to say that it didn’t last long. I became increasingly aware that Darwinian evolution was a powerfully available alternative to my creator god as an explanation of the beauty and apparent design of life. It was my father who first explained it to me but, to begin with, although I understood the principle, I didn’t think it was a big enough theory to do the job. I was biased against it by reading Bernard Shaw’s preface to "Back to Methuselah" in the school library. Shaw, in his eloquently muddled way, favoured Lamarckian (more purpose-driven) and hated Darwinian (more mechanistic) evolution, and I was swayed towards the muddle by the eloquence. I went through a period of doubting the power of natural selection to do the job required of it. But eventually a friend – one of the two, neither of them biologists, in whose company I later refused to kneel in chapel – persuaded me of the full force of Darwin’s brilliant idea and I shed my last vestige of theistic credulity, probably at the age of about sixteen. It wasn’t long then before I became strongly and militantly atheistic.

Roger Ebert
Quote:I was a voracious reader in grade school and early on began to question the logic of the faith. To be informed it was necessary for me to just simply believe was not satisfactory. Some things just didn’t make any sense. If God was perfect, I reasoned, how could he create anything that contradicted his creation? This conclusion, reached in grade school, was later to lead me like an arrow to the wonderful theory of evolution. We were not taught creationism in grade school, and I learned that the Church was quite content to get along with Darwin. The questions that plagued me didn’t have to do with science but with fairness. If you committed a mortal sin, it might depend on sheer chance whether you would get the opportunity to confess it before you died.
Why had God, who was all-powerful, devised this merciless moral mechanism for his creatures? He created paradise and in no time at all his very first humans, Adam and Eve, did something that made perfect sense to me. I would have eaten the apple myself. Now humankind was condemned forever to the prospect of hell. Did hell even exist before there were people to occupy it? If only the fallen angels lived there, why didn’t God in his infinite mercy choose to keep us someplace handy where he could encourage our rehabilitation? And who dreamed up the system of indulgences, even plenary indulgences, which reminded me uneasily of Get Out of Jail Free cards? The Church began to resemble a house of cards; remove only one and the walls fell.
At some point soon after my discovery of Playboy magazine I began to live in a state of sin, because I simply could not bring myself to confess certain transgressions to a priest who knew me and could see me perfectly well through the grid of the confessional. Logically I was choosing eternal torment over a minute’s embarrassment. This choice was easy for me. When I saw Harvey Keitel placing his hand in the flame in Mean Streets, I identified with him. The difference between us was that long before I reached the age of Charlie in the film, I had lost my faith. It didn’t make sense to me any longer. There was no crisis of conscience. It simply all fell away.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Famous people losing their religion: stories
Being famous doesn't automatically give them a intelligent viewpoint on anything, of course.
One of the Fox News talking heads is open about his brand of non-belief. From his Wiki entry:

As of 2012, Gutfeld resides in New York City with his wife, Elena Moussa, whom he met in London, where he lived for three years. Gutfeld was raised Roman Catholic and once was an altar boy. He describes himself as an "agnostic atheist".

Significantly, he's not a persona non grata at Fox, and even hosts his eponymous show. He's also conservative . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 14, 2018 at 6:06 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: I heard and read some touching stories of famous people at the moment they lost their religion. These are some that "stayed" with me because there is something startling when you see people being freed from shackles of religion.

There are millions and millions of touching stories from people that moved from one extreme dogma to the opposite extreme.
There are also touching stories from ex atheists that after their NDE are now strong theists.
And for strong theists I do not mean religious theists.
I mean spiritual theists.  Lightbulb

I guess you never thought about that FM, did you?  Smile
Cool post Fake Messiah. I enjoyed reading the comments from famous people who are atheists.

I think it's more difficult to be an atheist when you are in the public eye.
Sure, Haig, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Just to clear some stuff that may bother some people, when I said "famous" I didn't mean to single them out because they're famous but because they write books and get mentioned in articles or TV or DVD extras and so on and I happen to hear/ read it

Here's another moving one by not very famous person, Timothy Michael Short, who wrote about losing his faith why he was in Liberty University:

Quote:The Koran was like a piñata we could beat all day long and it would drop isolated, embarrassing passages to the ground below. But couldn’t someone do the same thing to the Old Testament Yahweh? There were dozens if not hundreds of passages that seemed to paint the same or similar picture. Murder, slavery, cruelty. Seemingly arbitrary and random behavior. There had to be an explanation where God came out smelling like roses.

Foreman went on to give the Christian answers but more than ever, I felt disappointed with them. Dr. Foreman was now giving me the same excuses for God’s “terrorism” that I expected from the students. “It was a very different time, Class. Very different. Words like genocide are serious words. Was the intent to wipe out a people group? Did the intent matter? What was God doing there? One could excuse their behavior on account of how primitive they were…but isn’t God perfect? Would God tell primitive people do behave at the level of their heathen peers? Isn’t God supposed to bring people to higher standards of living rather than let them wallow in evil or worse yet—command evil? Why would God stoop so low and command barbaric and tribal violence instead of bequeathing some of that counter-intuitive love dogma that Jesus teaches later on? Did forgiveness and humility become good traits? Are things like genocide really wrong or only when God doesn’t command them? If God had done even one thing that was objectively wrong, then he wouldn’t be God. It would disqualify Jesus’ perfection. It was a major deal. The extreme wing of the Muslim world had stayed true to the character of their God and his violent whims while Christianity had become watered down and diluted over the years by societal progress and science. I knew that thinking questions like these would lead me to entertaining blasphemous ideas in my mind. This is where the brave Christian goes in his struggle for faith.

The Holy Spirit was bearing witness in my heart that God was real, but what did that mean? The title of Dawkins book included the word delusion for a reason. It is possible that sane and rational person can draw a terribly wrong conclusion if given enough supporting evidence. Maybe I had some religion drilled so deeply into my brain that I was just confused and deluded? Jehovah’s Witnesses and Muslims and Scientologists can all feel internal peace and confirmation when they listen to their own celebrities preach…they couldn’t all be right! Maybe my warm fuzzies and guilty feelings were not from the Holy Spirit. Maybe I was a nice guy with a conscience. The rest could be explained by the strictness of my upbringing.

I didn’t have a minor crisis of faith. It was significant. God did evil things—things objectively wrong regardless of culture or chronology—then how could I choose to love and worship him? All of the defenses given for Yahweh were the same ones current Muslims could give for Allah. And we never listen to those guys!
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Quote:I guess you never thought about that FM, did you?  

Just for future reference, Rik, and to save you a modicum of repetitive typing, EVERYTHING you have to say has been though about.  Literally, everything.  Nothing about you is new or innovating, or even moderately interesting.  From your dusty diatribes on biological evolution to your rusty rants on atheism, everything about your thought processes has been thought about.

Ecclesiastes 1:9

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 16, 2018 at 5:22 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:I guess you never thought about that FM, did you?  

Just for future reference, Rik, and to save you a modicum of repetitive typing, EVERYTHING you have to say has been though about.  Literally, everything.  Nothing about you is new or innovating, or even moderately interesting.  From your dusty diatribes on biological evolution to your rusty rants on atheism, everything about your thought processes has been thought about.

Boru

Oh, I see........

Does that means that in order to be fair you will post as many experiences about atheists that are now strong theists as you did post about theists that are now atheists?  Shy
(May 16, 2018 at 7:39 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(May 16, 2018 at 5:22 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Just for future reference, Rik, and to save you a modicum of repetitive typing, EVERYTHING you have to say has been though about.  Literally, everything.  Nothing about you is new or innovating, or even moderately interesting.  From your dusty diatribes on biological evolution to your rusty rants on atheism, everything about your thought processes has been thought about.

Boru

Oh, I see........

Does that means that in order to be fair you will post as many experiences about atheists that are now strong theists as you did post about theists that are now atheists?  Shy

To the best of my recollection, I have never once posted about theists who became atheists. 

I guess you didn't think about that, did you, Rik?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Here's one from Salman Rushdie I love:

Salman Rushdie Wrote:"God, Satan, Paradise, and Hell all vanished one day in my fifteenth year, when I quite abruptly lost my faith. ..and afterwards, to prove my new-found atheism, I bought myself a rather tasteless ham sandwich, and so partook for the first time of the forbidden flesh of the swine. No thunderbolt arrived to strike me down. [...] From that day to this I have thought of myself as a wholly secular person." -- from In God We Trust (1985)

I had a hard time finding it, but I suppose the fact that I remembered it being a hot dog instead of a ham sandwich might have explained that.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1951 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 12068 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4479 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Common Sense shows religion screws people up. Usalabs 11 2830 March 20, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3172 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5507 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Losing my religion was the best thing that ever happened to me. Mechaghostman2 30 5880 November 6, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4478 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue