Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
atheism and irrational thinking
atheism and irrational thinking
Religion as opposite to atheism is a much discussed topic of this forum.
The roots of religion are largely explained in TGD.
I would like to underline an important issue linked to religion, namely, irrational thinking.
The human mind is of course an intrinsic part of the body but it has some features which apparently separate it from the animal world one of them being irrational thinking.
Animals must have some rational thinking .The predator following his prey shows a certain way of rational thinking which helps him to achieve his goal.
Do animals have also other forms of thinking? May be. I don't know.
But if human mind can think in a rational way as well as in an irrational way one must conclude that both are a result of evolution of life.
Which form of thinking prevails in our daily life is a matter for psychologists but our personally experience shows that we some times think rationally, logically or illogical and some times irrationally, which is essentially illogical, and some times a mix of both.
Irrational thinking touches almost all aspects of human life, as an individual-
for instance feelings of love, hatred ,despair ,compassion, etc,, or in society –
politics, history, philosophy and of course religion.

In history, for instance this phenomenon is expressed by the creation of national mythical figures as Ulysses ,Romulus and Remus, Eneas or national/religious figures as Buddha, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad and so on.

Modern times are not exempted from mythical historic positive figures like Jean D'arc
or demonized figures like Richard III.
In literature we have innumerable examples of mythical –irrational figures.

One can not deny that there are some feelings which humans are compelling themselves, inner in their minds, to express them in a supra natural irrational form, no matter if this phenomenon is an evolutionary trait of human society or something intrinsic to human nature.

Humans are tending, if they are satisfied with their life to give thanks to some supra natural entity, or if they are in despair to cry out to the same entity, or if they are afraid of something (especially sickness or death) to rely on the same.
They do it by creating in their mind a "believable" God in the image of man based on tales, legends, holy scriptures and alike, and after this act of instant creation they willingly believe that this God really exists otherwise all expectations would be in vane.

In my opinion this act of creation of God is therefore a non deniable trait of irrational thinking which cannot be appreciated by simple rational arguments,
The evolutionary "roots of religion" might be explained from a parallel to Darwinian point of view but the permanent recurrent creation of God in the minds of people has his roots in irrational thinking of humans .

Therefore the most important way for atheism in opposing religion seems to me to be to expose it as an exclusive creation of human beings, God being existent only in their minds, never in nature..
RE: atheism and irrational thinking
i believe that rationnal thinking is real in you only when reality of you is in reality of life, that is when you start to think yourself better as you see the direct correlation with what you just recognize infront of your eyes being related to your irrationnal self

the problem with religious persons is their insistance to justify themselves without living or more experiencing life truth, but they can have different motivations for that as atheists too,
i am sorry to insist on the irrelevancy of the religion issue

the issue is yourself level for being true self alive, the less level you are the more you would be reality force above yourself, in atheists world, reality force are politicians or intellectuals some or any leader happy to feel his strength on others minds

hitler preconised that the less levels should die, he is wrong because that is what less would say, as less would always kill himself and choose to be another more strong
the more true would take the opportunity of less existence to proove the truth of self he knows in himself by helping the other less to feel himself more really anyways it is possible for,
because for the more if any less dies it means that he dies too, for more truth is positive like an absolute it cannot fail, there is no less that dies in absolute

that is how you can proove too the reality force to be responsable of that fatal weakness that anyone aware of should kill the abusers who lives only on that reality strength not it sources that must be healed as oneself truth for anyone that would feel willing to know it
the key is to love yourself infront of you that is how less could be more than more if reality of self suit them more, i know that well you are much more than me but i am more a potential of being true as real
(October 3, 2008 at 2:21 pm)imans Wrote: i believe that rationnal thinking is real in you only when reality of you is in reality of life, that is when you start to think yourself better as you see the direct correlation with what you just recognize infront of your eyes being related to your irrationnal self

the problem with religious persons is their insistance to justify themselves without living or more experiencing life truth, but they can have different motivations for that as atheists too,
i am sorry to insist on the irrelevancy of the religion issue

the issue is yourself level for being true self alive, the less level you are the more you would be reality force above yourself, in atheists world, reality force are politicians or intellectuals some or any leader happy to feel his strength on others minds

hitler preconised that the less levels should die, he is wrong because that is what less would say, as less would always kill himself and choose to be another more strong
the more true would take the opportunity of less existence to proove the truth of self he knows in himself by helping the other less to feel himself more really anyways it is possible for,
because for the more if any less dies it means that he dies too, for more truth is positive like an absolute it cannot fail, there is no less that dies in absolute

that is how you can proove too the reality force to be responsable of that fatal weakness that anyone aware of should kill the abusers who lives only on that reality strength not it sources that must be healed as oneself truth for anyone that would feel willing to know it
the key is to love yourself infront of you that is how less could be more than more if reality of self suit them more, i know that well you are much more than me but i am more a potential of being true as real

There are 3 possibilities to your reply:
1) your phylosophy is extremely high
2) your reply has little to do with the issue
3) I am so dumb that I don't understand a single sentence of what you
are saying.
The latest alternative has a 90% chance to be true
Hahahaha. Two ships passing in the night if you ask me, I rarely understand either author's posts.
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27
(October 7, 2008 at 7:38 pm)Jason Jarred Wrote: Hahahaha. Two ships passing in the night if you ask me, I rarely understand either author's posts.

I agree with you there.

It's like their talking a completely differant language!

[Image: 2006.gif]
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(October 8, 2008 at 8:47 am)Ace Wrote:
(October 7, 2008 at 7:38 pm)Jason Jarred Wrote: Hahahaha. Two ships passing in the night if you ask me, I rarely understand either author's posts.

I agree with you there.

It's like their talking a completely differant language!

[Image: 2006.gif]

I'll tell you what ,it seems that pepole don't have any patience to read more than 5 sentences written by other than them.
I don't care .
The level of debate in this forum is pretty high and it gives everyone of us the feeling of considering himself a bit of a genius while others may
appear as bores or even less.
So long aswe drive fun out of this forum it's existence is justified.
I agree with you; this has long been my position regarding religion. It is irrational, yes, but it is not just some massive error in logical reasoning that can be corrected simply by demonstrating how it doesn't make sense. It persists because we have a strong genetic predisposition to it...because it's a part of human nature. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing to have around in modern society. It doesn't mean thinking rationally isn't important. And it certainly doesn't mean religions are true. It's merely to say that focusing on how irrational religion is kind of misses the point...at least if you want to study it as opposed to simply debunking it.
Holy necro! This thread is over three years old, so please start a new one if you want to conitinue on with this subject.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Oops! I got to this thread by clicking on the "possibly related threads" box...I didn't realize it was so old. My mistake.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2752 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 18309 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27137 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  I was thinking... dyresand 22 4207 April 22, 2017 at 2:49 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheism is irrational. theologian 153 19920 December 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12276 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Thinking of death dyresand 27 7293 February 23, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  How Irrational People Think Mudhammam 41 7410 January 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12487 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  On Unbelief: II. Thinking About Thinking Mudhammam 0 1107 December 14, 2014 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Mudhammam