Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
religion/culture/politics
religion/culture/politics
Hello. I am an atheist, and I am trying to understand the interaction between religion, culture & politics.

It is tempting to blame religion for some of the modern world's problems. The violence in Northern Ireland was caused by catholics killing protestants (and vice versa). The attacks of 9/11 were carried out by religious fundamentalists seeking the violent conversion of the world to Islamic law.

Or,.. The problems in Northern Ireland were due to cultural and political differences dating back to William of Orange, and 9/11 has its origins in western hegemony in the Middle East and the politics of the Israel/Palestine problem.

The answer is probably that religion, culture, and politics combine together to form an explosive mix, in which case it is unfair simply to blame religion for these problems (as do some well-known people whom I respect greatly).

I hope to start a thread here which will help me to clarify these issues.

Thanks

KK
RE: religion/culture/politics
Of course religion is not the sole reason for all the world ills. It's childish to think as much. Many issues are complicated with much deeper underlining problems, many having nothing to do with religion. However, there are certain evils that religions perpetuate that continue to damage this world and is certainly not innocent in all things.

For instance, the idea that blasphemy is a crime worth the punishment of death is a completely religious concept and has caused the death of many innocent people. And yet the people who put these blasphemers to death are convinced they are doing a righteous thing.

As Dawkins says: "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I think, to put it simply, religion is the common denominator.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Religion is a great tool for the abuser.

Welcome Trebor777 ...so close to a cursed username ...for a Trebor... *gets coat*
Religion shapes culture. Religious people try to create laws based on their beliefs in order to control the masses. That is where it comes into politics. If the majority of a people entertain a certain religion then politcians will also campaign for their votes. This is another way religion is forced into politics.
That seems a very biased opinion DLF. Of course if your constituents make their opinion known you represent that. They vote you in because you will represent them. I don't believe religion has any place in government, but to try to stop people influencing law and society to reflect their morals has to be very wrong.
But there is a fine line between representing your constituents in a constitutional way. It's a tricky distinction, but she's right, religion trickles in to politics that way where you like it or not.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(September 16, 2009 at 9:35 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: Of course religion is not the sole reason for all the world ills. It's childish to think as much. Many issues are complicated with much deeper underlining problems, many having nothing to do with religion. However, there are certain evils that religions perpetuate that continue to damage this world and is certainly not innocent in all things.

For instance, the idea that blasphemy is a crime worth the punishment of death is a completely religious concept and has caused the death of many innocent people. And yet the people who put these blasphemers to death are convinced they are doing a righteous thing.

As Dawkins says: "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Hello & thanks.

I think you have touched upon the core of my problem. As much as I admire Richard Dawkins I think that "........But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion... " is an over-simplification. Were the Japanese kamikaze suicide bombers of WW2 "good" people driven by their religious beliefs (they did believe their emperor to be a god), or were they "good" people trying to defend their country ?

K
(September 17, 2009 at 2:06 am)fr0d0 Wrote: That seems a very biased opinion DLF. Of course if your constituents make their opinion known you represent that. They vote you in because you will represent them. I don't believe religion has any place in government, but to try to stop people influencing law and society to reflect their morals has to be very wrong.

Politcians don't represent the people. They represent themselves. Usually they don't do anything they promise nor do they care what the people want after they win. They lie to get in and then they screw everything all to hell. You can't win without the majority vote. If the majority of the people are Christian then you had better be god fearing, pro life, and pro gun or you won't get anything. Even if you aren't like that...you better pretend to be. The idea is to win...not lose. Where do you live? Surely not America. Everyone knows how our our politicians work.

Depends on what "morals" people want to impose onto society. If someone wants to make a law against buying alcohol in a community then whether or not it should become a good proposal depends on if it's a good idea or not. Why do they want to prohibit drinking? Is it because they think God and some stupid book says it's a "sin"? Well...if that's the case then they sould NOT be influencing law. They should not just say "because God says so" to be able to make a new law or keep an existing one.
The majority of people are Christian. You need to show Christian values to be elected.

Isn't this an example of representative government?
- Meatball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4234 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  The Importance of Culture chimp3 1 615 July 18, 2016 at 6:51 am
Last Post: abaris
  Do you feel (new) Atheist culture? Alex K 58 15007 July 31, 2015 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16563 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  atheism a culture or an idea? christcahinkilla 21 5240 July 23, 2013 at 2:05 am
Last Post: paulpablo